“great Spa”

Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Koror
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“great Spa”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Rooms and beds are great. No wifi. limited food options, but Sam's bar and grill around the corner is the best option
Pool is nice and the little beach and lagoon area is also available for a swim, careful of the rock wall, a fellow travellor hurt her toes on the first day.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank afromauckland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We arrived from Los Angeles after 18 hours with layovers, ect at 11pm. The staff was very helpful, spoke English. I wouldn't have wanted to spend more than one night here.....we were on our way to dive aboard for a week. But the room was basic, clean....bed comfortable, bath room amenities sufficient.
We had the buffet breakfast in the morning prior to our departure. Lots of choices and fresh.
The setting is beautiful on a lagoon with crystal clear water....

Room Tip: away from the lagoon, noise from adjacent hotels party.....
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Pintofamily1
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed at the PRR for 10 nights and enjoyed every single minute of it with our SCUBA group. All the staff, from the front desk to housekeeping was really friendly, responsive, and helpful. When we first arrived at the resort in the middle of the night, we were taken to a lovely room, but could tell it was a smoking room. The young man quickly moved us to another room in a different section of the hotel. In the morning, find a local Palauan who works at the hotel and have them explain the bus system to you. It’s easy and works good if you pay attention to where you are getting off and the time. We used this bus system a number of times and found it to be useful. But we did rent a car on our last full day to tour the island. It was perfect for us since we were diving every day and didn’t need a car otherwise.

THE ROOMS:
Our room was on the third floor overlooking the roof, but with an ocean view. It was a "Moderate" room on the 3rd floor with two oversized twin beds (almost a twin and a half maybe. The room looked exactly like the picture on their website except we had a desk. There was a safe in the closet, plenty of drawers for our stuff, and a bench extension off the dresser to put a suitcase on. So there was plenty of room for dive gear and regular stuff. Plus there was a small refrigerator and a nice supply of really amazing instant coffee and teas with the standard sugar creamer additions. I'm kind of a coffee snob and would ordinarily never touch instant, but I was desperate on our first morning and found it to be quite strong and tasty with all the stuff I put in it. There is a hot water maker in place of the traditional little coffee pot that works really well. Only two bottles of water are supplied free. But you can buy more water at the store across the street from the hotel. The front desk will tell you about it if you ask. I bought two gallons and just refilled our water bottles.

THE BEDS:
Soooo… unfortunately our beds were rocks. The bedding is fabulous and fluffy and inviting. But the mattresses are ROCKS. They give you beautiful down pillows (which I don’t like, but whatever) or thin foam pillows on request. Anyway, I got a kink in my neck that remains to this day (August 25). I eventually asked the maid to bring me 6 extra pillows which I put under my mattress pad to make some padding. The sweet maid brought them, and then configured my bed my way with the pillows when she changed my sheets or made my bed each day. Needless to say, I left her a nice tip!! Surprisingly, the lofty down comforters are actually nice when you keep the air conditioning and the fan going all night. It makes a comfortable combo – well, except for the rock.

THE BATHROOMS:
K. I LOVED the bathroom. The shower/tub was big and had the kind of showerhead you can take off to rinse your scuba gear with. The hotel stocks the bathroom with an amazing selection of goodies like times TWO; shampoo, conditioner, body wash, soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste, shaver, eye-makeup pads, hair stretchies, Qtips, hairbrush/comb combo thing, shower-cap, laundry soap, and more stuff I can’t even remember. I put the stuff I wasn’t going to use in my suite-case, and found they replaced it on the tray the next morning! TIMES TWO!! I really appreciated having plenty of supplies, and would not have dragged all my stuff clear across the planet if I’d known about this! BUT one of my favorite things was the awesome bidet in the toilet closet. They are not common in the States, so it was my first time using one. But I sooo appreciated that toilet considering how hot and humid and sweaty the day’s activities leaves one. It’s a cool thing.

THE BUGS:
Yes, there are mosquitoes. Well, at least while we were there. But the staff keeps lighted bug repellant coils EVERYWHERE. In the morning, if you leave your room early as we did for diving, there was always a mosquito covered coil near our door. It made me happy to know they were dead there and not in my room. I was, however covered with mosquito bites from all the times we were away from the resort. So bring bug spray and use it as religiously as you would use your sunscreen.

THE FOOD:
So we ate breakfast every morning at the resort and loved it! The variety is interesting with an Asian flair. There were a lot of things I could not bring myself to try. But there were a lot of American things prepared untraditionally that were yummy. There was always fish, which I ate every day for breakfast because it was so good. And there is a pretty good bakery on site that provided the breakfast pastries that were delicious. We did try the buffet one evening and found it to be a horrifically expensive disappointment. There is MUCH better food to be found for dinners. All our lunches were with our dive company “Fish and Fins,” and were delicious, so I cannot comment about lunch at the resort. Sometimes I filled my water bottle at the breakfast water urn.

THE PROPERTY:
We thought the property was really beautiful and spectacularly groomed. The pool was spotless and we enjoyed it a great deal. The small private beach area is nice and feels secluded. We snorkeled all around and out to the roped off end that leads to open ocean. There wasn’t a ton of stuff to see, but enough to keep our interest and make it enjoyable. They have kayaks plus toys and other stuff for the kids (I think these are for a fee – we didn’t use any of them). And they will give you mats for the nice beach lounges. You can get your beach towels from them there as well.

POPERTY AMENITIES:
Near the pool is a bar that serves quite good drinks (but pricey) and is fun to visit in the evening, but don’t forget to cover yourself with bug spray! Through the restaurant is A WONDERFUL Balinese Spa where the pampering is seriously good and the girls are absolutely darling and sweet. It’s not cheap, but it is fabulous. There is a business center on property. But the internet is a total JOKE. They should not say they offer it legitimately. Besides the business center, you are assigned a number each morning at the restaurant where you can attempt to access the internet. Only on a few occasions, in 10 days, did a couple members of our group be able to connect. I never was able. Do yourself a favor and just put your phone, laptop, iPad/tablet away in your room and forget about it. Unless you ABSOLUTELY must be connected while in paradise, forget about it. Trying to connect is more trouble than it’s worth at the hotel. There are other options around the island, but they are pricey and a hassle.

IN SUMMARY: I want to go back!
Everything is expensive on the island, so plan accordingly. Still, it truly was one of the most wonderful vacations I’ve had. The people are genuinely nice and gracious. The SCUBA diving is simply spectacular and varied. Our experience with Fish n Fins as our dive company was fabulous (they picked our group up at the hotel dock each day in their great boat with all our gear all set up and ready to go for us. They served us lunch on one of many secluded paradise islands each day. Then they deposited us back on our dock each afternoon where we walked a short way to our room elevator.) There is a dive operation on property, and it looked great, but we had our booking with FnF. In the evenings, we took the hotel van to our various restaurants and adventures (this was for a fee). The cheapest and my favorite food was at Emaimelei (also known as the bakery), where the food and desert was delicious, but be careful and split dishes because the portions are HUGE HUGE HUGE. Please trust me on this! But get some cookies from them for the dive boat if you’re diving. Next time I go, I’ll likely eat here every night! The menu is HUGE, too! Now, the worst priced, but delicious food in THE most beautiful restaurant, also had the most terrible service any of us have EVER seen in the entire world, was at Elilai. For the adventurous, you can experience fruit bat soup including the entire bat, fur, wings and all, at the Penthouse where they also serve really tasty fried or baked parrot fish), and if you ask for a “double” for your cocktail, they bring you two – and you pay for two. Ha!! You can have great food for a reasonable price at Kramers. You can rent a car and drive all over the island and see cool sites, and also get lost pretty easily, but the sweet locals will help you figure your way back to civilization (so to speak). And last, but not least, you can stay at this great hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Uphilldeb
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

The PRR is a very attractive hotel with its fish pond and scenic view of the Koror lagoon. The rooms are clean and well kept. They have English speaking Taiwanese and Filipino staff. The only downsides are there's no wifi in the rooms and the WiFi in the restaraunt keeps dropping out. Very nice spa with Balinese staff. I'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank CallofDuty135
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Just stayed at the resort for 4 nights. It is located next to a pier for diving and snorkeling tours, very convenient for us. The room was spacious and clean, very bright with its balcony. The air-con was too strong for us as its fussy logic always kept the temperature at 23-24 degree at night. The food was very good and offered reasonable choices to us indeed, especially we have tried the local "lunch box" on remote islands during our snorkeling trips. There was no flies nor mosquitoes in the resort, which is really a pleasant surprise to us. The staff were polite and helpful. They relocated their swimming towel desk from swimming pool to lift lobby on the rainy day during our stay. Only 2 bottles of water were given on the arrival date, but there was a shop across the street where we could buy additional water. The wifi was so slow; it really took "ages" to send emails and upload pictures during our time there. The only thing we wanna complain was the bathtub. It was so dirty and stained. Ironically, there was a very nice intelligent water closet in our toilet. If the bathtub was replaced, we would rate the resort as 5 stars!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank travelholic99
Majuro, Marshall Islands
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed at the Palau Royal Resort and I rate this hotel at best 4 star. The food at the restaurant was great, the front desk receptionists were spot on with my needs and the location of the resort is convenient to commute to other restaurants. However, there were some negatives in rating Palau Royal Resort. Firstly, the airconditioning in the room I stayed in (606) was not working at all. I tried to configure the temperature to go lower than 26, but it never worked. I never bothered to complain about this to the front desk since they should have fixed this in the first place. Secondly, the internet at the cafe is very slow and unreliable! Lastly, the internet is expensive!

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Lau2ed
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I was a bit concerned reading what some others said, but we spent 4 days here and were very satisfied. Looking at some other properties in town, I would say PRR is several notches above anything else in Palau. The views in particular are great, and the private beach & lagoon is fun & relaxing after being out snorkeling, diving or kayaking all day. (Palau itself is amazing for these activities--highly recommended.) The food in the restaurant is OK, three star I would say. But there are other restaurant options on the island, so try them. Service was great overall, and I found the staff to be very polite & accommodating--no issues at all with any of them. If we needed something, or something was incorrect, we just asked and it was handled effectively. My one annoyance would be the fact that only two water bottles are provided for your whole stay. But the front desk made this policy crystal clear at check-in, and we simply purchased bottles of water from the mini mart that is literally right across the street. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that fronts the lagoon & beach, as the views are better.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple