“Star island”
Review of Carp Island Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Koror
Carp Island Resort
Ranked #12 of 30 Hotels in Koror
Reviewed April 6, 2012

Drawbacks : Most of the staff stays on the main island so you have no other choice than joining the 7H30 am boat to reach the island and leave with the 15H. There are no decision maker on the island so it is hard to have flexibility. The "resort" is not made for snorkelers. Joining the divers is too expensive (65US, even if you are joining your family) and the diving spots are too deep for snorkeling so you just have the 40mn in between the two dives. One of the boat driver was very grumpy and it darkened a bit our day to the rocky island (which I recommend by the way). Not all the staff speaks english, so start practicing your japanese. Price of the room was expensive as they charge extra for the children. The big bungalows have no way to open the windows (like mosquito nets) to get air at night and there is no AC. (The other rooms have some)
Advantages : the island offers amazing views on the blue see and great sceneries. You really feel cut from the rest of the island. The island is close to the diving spots. Food was good and in good quantity and variety for an island (just don't miss the bell as there are some hungry divers out there). The staff was mostly friendly. The dive master was excellent and the diving gear was good (but with limited choice).
On paiement we had a surprise discount which was welcome considering the overall budget. The children had a good discount on boat fares, and food.

Room Tip: Expect something basic. The suite have two nice terraces and two queen beds. There is space for an e...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank ChineseTea

Reviewed March 20, 2012

Nice setting on an island towards the southern part of the Palau archipelago, a few minutes boat ride from some great dive/snorkeling sites and about a 15 minute boat ride from Pelileu. Hotel staff seemed a bit disorganized in assigning members of our group to their rooms and also seemed to have limited English skills. Rooms are basic--bathroom was called en suite but is really located just outside the door of the room itself, and there is a ceiling fan but no air conditioning. The furnishings and linens supplied were also limited/quite basic. The shower fluctuated wildly from hot to cold with very little in between. Breakfast and dinner served buffet style in the main lodge, food was simple but adequate. As long as you understand what you're getting in to when booking a room here, you will like it, but if your expectations are too high/not consistent with reality, you will have a rough go of it. I stayed here for one night only as part of a package tour, so I don't know what the cost/relative value is like.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank CourtneyMD
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Carp Island is an isolated island (about an hour away from Koror by boat) and Carp Island Resort is probably the only option you have for accommodation on this island. The view is gorgeous and the resort has some thoughtful arrangement for divers to explore this lovely environment. But when it comes to the quality of the facility here, it does show that this is a very secluded area and nothing fancy can be found here. In my room there are two bunk beds, a table, a small cabinet, a fan and that's about it. The door can only be locked from inside, so when you leave the room, make sure you carry your valuables with you. Shared showers and toilets are in a separate shack, which is a bit inconvenient, especially in the evening. My friends chose to pay extra for an en-suite, but they said there was no hot water in the shower.

I agree with many reviews here that Carp Island is gorgeous. But I feel that it needs to be said that the resort is really basic (since this review should be targeted at the resort, not the island). If it doesn't bother you, then by all means come and visit Carp Island's breath-taking view. Just keep in mind that there will be no five-star luxurious hotels here for you to pamper yourself.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Warren C
Reviewed December 9, 2011

My second time on Carp Island was with a friend. We both are no divers, so during the day, we had the iskand for ourselfes.(all the divers under water in some of the most spectacular dive spots worldwide, jsut minutes away. Statements by many divers, also from my diver friends. We loved the beautyfull seting, and views, the tranquility, wandering around the island searching for the giant stome money, somebody lost here hundreds of years ago on the way to YAP - only on yap I found bigger ones than the one,I found on the other end of the island after a walk though jungle, mangroves and the so called she road. Swimming and snorkeling on remove coves also on nearby islands. We loved our bungalow, it was a romantic seting and very cosy. (who need cristal chandeliers and red carpets in such a place on a remote location far away from everywhere ?
Such things would nt fit here.) The food was very individual and autentic and well selected and variated. Not only at the diner, one feels like part of an island family. Well, at 10 pm the lights go off and who wants to drink wine or something stronger needs to bring it from the main island. Its welcomed, but dont forget to invite the others To watch sunrise right from the bungalow is a dream.
The food was very individual and autentic and well selected and variated. Not only at the diner, one feels like part of an island family.And we felt very sad to leave

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Penguin888
Reviewed November 30, 2011

I've bean there in november 2011. the place is amazing, wonderfull landscape and sea. the cottages are clean and spacious, not too elegant but preatty. The kitcken was very good as the service. Prices are a little bit too expensive in my opinion, and all in this place is made for divers, so if you are not it's a little bit boring. that's not so pleasant that all extras (as kayak or rods) are with fee.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Andreasupertamp
Reviewed June 8, 2011

My girfriend and I had 12 nights on Carp Island, we loved the peace, at times there were only 3 guests, the snorkeling was fabulous and were taken great care of by our constant guide Rowland, who also took us kayaking, no easy task, and caught us a delicous mangroove crab. Carp is basic and expensive, but thats how it is in Palau in general, so if you want the experience it will cost more than the average.
The jelly fish lake and rock islands are the most spectacular we have ever seen, plus endless coral gardens.
Our accommodation was very clean, the meals not so interesting with such a small number of guests, but we were never hungary, staff were always friendly and helpful, very experienced and safety wise boatmen.

Room Tip: take your own wine if you fancy one with dinner
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank jenny074
Reviewed April 15, 2011

Went to Carp Island Resort for 2 nights and 3 days recently and had the most amazing time there. Traveled with my husband, 4 year old, and mother in law and found almost everything about this place to be perfect. The island is pristine, the staff very friendly, dive guides were superb and the best dive sites are just about 10 minutes away!
I have read several reviews on here about Carps food not being that great and basic, I don't know what they are talking about!!!! We found the food to be excellent! Every meal was buffet style with fresh fish, shrimp, calamari, beef curry, chicken curry, the best sashimi I've ever had, tons of fresh fruit at every meal, salad, rice, soups, and more!!! I think I gained 5lbs in 3 days. The prices are reasonable considering where you are in the world. ( Breakfast is $10, lunch $15, Dinner is $25) One thing I loved is that they raise chickens and pigs on the island so the food is as fresh as it can be!
Cabins were very basic but lovely with attached bathrooms, large deck, and fans in the rooms since there is no A/C. Days were hot but the evenings were very comfortable with the fans going. I kind of relate it to luxury camping.
My only complaint is that I found the beds to be very uncomfortable, they are a wooden platform with a thick (3-4in) mat instead of a traditional mattress. Sleeping for me was pretty miserable but even that being said we WILL go back to the island since everything else was perfect and you cant beat feeling like you have a whole island to yourself!!!! Go for one of the sunrise cabins since there is a beautiful breeze on that side of the island.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family