“Beautiful hotel on a gorgeous island, but a bit outdated...”

Palau Pacific Resort
Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Koror
Chicago, Illinois
“Beautiful hotel on a gorgeous island, but a bit outdated...”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Palau is a very unique island and a must visit for any diver or island enthusiast. PPR (Palau Pacific Resort) is the number one hotel on the island so it was an obvious choice for out stay.

LOCATION:
The hotel is located on a further "corner" of the island, away from the town and other hotels - and so very private. The cab to town is $6-$8 each way, but plenty of restaurants offer free pick-up and drop-off. There is also a bus that costs $8 for the week, that goes to all the hotels, restaurants and stores, but we did not use it.

BEACH:
PPR is the only hotel on the island with a large, long white sand beach (on of the main reasons we chose to stay here). There are plenty of beach chairs/cabanas for everyone, and plenty of palm trees and umbrellas for shade. But the best part is the OCEAN which has plenty of corals, fish and giant clams, so it offers amazing snorkeling right off the beach.
The hotels also offers plenty of water sports, but none are included. This is an expensive resort, so paying for snorkeling gear, kayaks, water bike, etc felt like we were being nickle-and-dimed. Non-motorized water sport should be free!

ROOM & BATHROOM:
Unfortunately, the rooms are PPR are not the greatest for an almost 5 star resort. The furniture is very 90's Hawaiian hotel - teak and bamboo chairs with cushions (that show their age), wooden bed with a hard mattress and a small tiki desk. The room was definitely comfortable and clean, just not the most modern. The AC and fan worked perfectly and the medium sized balcony with ocean view was a nice touch.
The bathroom, I think, was the weakest thing at PPR - it left a lot to be desired. The shower had a tub with a curtain (which is always kinda gross) and fixtures that were also very aged. The vanity was large with one sink, a large mirror and an older marble finish; the toilet was separated in its own "closet".

STAFF:
The staff here are all Palau locals and service with a smile is an understatement - they are incredibly helpful and happy; helped us look for restaurants, book private island tours and answered any and all questions we had. At breakfast one morning, I asked for fresh oranges, and the next few mornings they were delivered to my table without having to ask - they remembered that I loved them and brought me some! I cannot write enough about how great all the staff is.

FOOD:
The food at the resort is excellent - and my husband and I are big foodies. We had breakfast included in our stay and the buffet was great. It offered a lot of choices from a fresh fruit station, egg/pancake/waffle station, to many Japanese options (miso soup, noodle soup, etc).
We ate lunch at the beach bar most of the days, and the options were all very tasty. The fresh sashimi was always delicious, and the sandwiches all came with fries and everything was well prepared. But it is all expensive - lunch for two people will easily cost $50.

Overall, we were very happy with out stay and after seeing a few of the other hotels, we were glad we picked PPR. The location, beach and staff are really outstanding, but the rooms and decor definitely need an upgrade!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank MNKA17

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Singapore
Reviewed April 21, 2014

No doubt, the hotel has a lovely beach, nice rooms, friendly staff etc. The shops are convenient and the hiking trail is a bliss. But unfortunately, the hotel is rabidly anti-smoking! They do not even allow smoking outdoors, not on the balcony and not on the beach. It s like if the management were on a anti-smoking crusade. Only a nasty spot behind the bar, with hard, uncomfortable chairs next to the dustbin is open to smokers. This over zealous policy leads to smokers dropping their cigarettes buds in the sand - instead of ashtrays. It's totally crazy and counterproductive.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank RingoKringo
Orange County, CA
Reviewed April 14, 2014

My friend and I just came back from PPR on our way to Korea. PPR is a great place with great staff who are always smiling and helpful...literally everyone gives a smile or hello. You cannot go wrong with this property. As well, they are located away from all else so you don't really need to leave the property, but if you do pretty much everything is a close drive. Don't forget to drink a Blue Corner or Shark Bite!

Room Tip: Oceanfront is always best.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank travelerOrangeCounty
Tumon
Reviewed April 9, 2014

The Good at PPR - nice location with private beach and a dock to be dropped at after a long day at the Rock Islands, friendly staff, the cook doing pancakes at the restaurant for the kids was great making them into shapes of dolphins or turtles. Breakfast at the restaurant was adequate to get the day started but I did not find it overly impressive. The pool / beach area was very relaxing and the recreation attendants very friendly working that area.

The bad - the hotel is showing its age and they are not renovating the hotel to keep up with the prices they are charging now. I booked an ocean front room that had lots of bugs crawling on the counters and no food was present (bathroom, mini bar and desk area), the ceiling fan in the room did not work, the towel rack in the shower was partially falling from the wall. For the price they are charging I will opt to go to another place with better accomodations.

I did not eat dinner at the hotel as I found several good places in Koror for a $7.00 taxi ride each way. Taj for Indian food was great, a surprise was "Little Italy now called O'keanos serving Italian food in Palau. The food was good at O'Keanos. Fuji for Japanese food was average at best and I would not return there if I return to Palau.

The Drop off at lunch was a great setting and the food was good and the Rred Rooster locally brewed beer was on tap. I read that service was terrible at The Drop Off but my kids and I were well taken care of by the two girls working.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank John W
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

Best overall dive vacation place I have ever stayed at. Been staying there for years starting in early 2000's. Going back in a week. In total I have stayed there over 5 months and enjoyed every minute...except the 2:00 - 4:00 am Air Mic departure flight.

I have literally travelled the dive world. In my 52 yrs of diving, and still think this is the number one best overall diving and vacationing resort. T

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JoeR66
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We stayed at the Palau Pacific Resort before and after our Liveaboard trip on Ocean Hunter I and had a lovely time. The rooms are spacious and very clean and the air conditioning works very well. All the staff were very helpful and seemed genuinely friendly, you meet them once and they will remember your name for next time even though this is not a small resort. We used the laundry service which was brilliant and quick, so no washing for us when we got home! The restaurant and bars are not cheap but the food is of a good quality so you do not mind. The buffet dinner always has an amazing selection and we had a great evening at their Thanks giving night. They have a couple of shops that sell tourist gifts. We were told that "Tebang" was one of the best places to get a storyboard so we visited the workshop and got a beautiful piece, the shop sells these pieces too and we were pleasantly surprised that they were not maked up terribly compared with what we paid so worth a visit if you have not managed to get to "Tebang". The private beach is well maintained and clean and not too busy. The spa is also well worth a visit.
The hotel is a little out of the way of the main town but we only had a few nights here so it was not an issue for us to stay and eat at the hotel. Any trips we had organised with Fish 'n' Fins had transport provided and the hotel itself provided a shuttle service to the airport.
Should we ever return to Palau (so many places to see in the world) we would definitely return.

Room Tip: Although some of the rooms are called "Garden rooms" and are cheaper we still had a sea vi...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mary E
Florida
Reviewed April 3, 2014

The hotel staff is excellent. I can not say enough about ALL of them! From house keeping to concierge to the gift shop and the pool bar and so on! The staff makes the place personal and intimate. I generally like smaller places so the service seems personal and I have a chance to get to know some folks and I did here and I was not expecting that.

I wanted to stay here from the first time I started planning my trip, but as this was a 3 week long trip with stops first in Micronesia, I had second thoughts on the expense and booked elsewhere. We arrived in Palau at midnight and were taken to the hotel I had booked. By 10:30 the next morning I was on the grounds of this hotel. They saved this last leg of my vacation and it was the perfect place for a perfect ending to a perfect vacation!

The pictures hold true I think to what the resort is like. We had a second floor room which has the vaulted ceilings. I prefer 2nd floor because then I can leave the window coverings open more and not worry about folks being able to see in. We were in cluster 6 which the balcony side is a view of a beautiful and fairly large fish pond with a waterfall and turtles and sting rays. They have feedings here you can attend twice a day. It was one of the best "garden views" I have ever had in a hotel.

The room style is older I will say that. It is a shower tub combination which at this price you would not expect and the flooring is older style tiles, but it all seemed in good repair with small updates and was very, very clean and who doesn't like turn down service with the chocolate on your pillow. The toilets are great! The beds are a little to firm for me, but I have found in Asia they tend to be and there are a lot of Asian tourists to this island.

Our room came with the breakfast buffet and I am told that is the only way they do it now. I think at one time there was an option. It is a big buffet and they do have an egg station where you can get eggs, omelets, waffles, pancakes….all fresh made. It is a large buffet that seems to cater to all breakfast styles from American to Asian to European. We were very pleased with it. We ended up eating all our dinners here as well. The dinner buffet is very pricy, but off the menu I did not find it to be any different than most any hotel. They do have a fancier restaurant that is expensive that is enclosed with a/c. They have the beach bbq restaurant where you select seafood, meats or combination and cook yourself on a grill in the middle of the table right on the beach. Lastly there is always the pool/beach bar menu which is available all the time. Prices on there for example were a $13 club sandwich with fries. They had a pasta dish for the same price that I loved. So there are price options.

There are a couple of trails you can hike which we did not get to. I did get a massage at the spa and was very pleased. The pool hut for towels was open very early till late which was nice. I simply loved it here! I did not find the location to be far out of the way at all. There is no reason to be hesitant about staying here. Just book and enjoy!

One last side note - it seems most of the employees are Palauan or from nearby islands which I appreciated as one, they would tell you stories of growing up there and tid bits about the island, the government etc. Many other places were employees from other countries, certainly nothing against that but through conversation I learn they are not long term residents and don't have the history to share.

Room Tip: Buildings 1 - 4 are closest to the pool and food area, which takes away some privacy. Buildings 6,7...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple