“Very nice, but pricey....”

Palau Pacific Resort
Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Koror
Melbourne, Australia
“Very nice, but pricey....”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Stayed here for a week. The hotel is very nicely laid out and the rooms are very good and modern. There are good facilities with tennis courts, swimming pool, spa and beach. The restaurant was a little disappointing - the menu was smallish (along with the serves) and I often founds that dishes were unavailble when I ordered. The prices were high and they charged for everything... The other problem with the hotel is its isolation from the main town - you need to organise transport.
While it's possibly the best hotel in the area, I've chosen the Sea Passion for my next trip due to it's more central location (to town and Sams dives Centre) and price...

Room Tip: Try and get a room away from the main areas and at the end of the causeways. However if this hotel...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Stuart A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Does not matter if your main purpose is diving or just staying and relaxing, this hotel serves it all and in very high standard.
Also a popular place for weddings.
Would love to come back again and again.

Room Tip: Go for sea view or the rooms on the side with the view to the park and little lakes with fishes.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AusrineS
Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Palau Pacific Resort is the finest hotel in Palau. We stayed there for 8 days in Dec and January. My 5 star rating is however based on hotels IN Palau, which means that the place is not on the level of the likes of Four Seasons, Shangri-La or Six Senses so do not expect a Maldives type of top resorts. The hotels in Palau are not top in the world, so you have to lower the expectations, but PPR is a great base for diving holiday.

As one of the previous reviewers very correctly notice you can gave it five stars, based on what else is available in Palau, but, if I were to compare it to other resorts around the world, I'd have to give it four stars

The hotel is located on a nice beach (alto artificial like all beaches in Koror) in a very sheltered bay, with flat water, nice to swim and snorkel and also very nice for small children. The house reef is nice, with many different reef fishes like the Picasso triggerfish, many parrot fish and so on.

The hotel is well maintained under the strict eye of the Japanese General Manager, which seems to be everywhere, checking on facilities, services and even the buffet at breakfast! He was regularly speaking with the hotel guests, very kind gentleman.

The hotel is going to be 30 years old in 2014 and in my opinion some of it needs major renovation. It is true that the hotel is well maintained and some items fully refurbished (the hotel even feature the modern Japanese Toto washable toilettes)

Rooms are just fine (we stayed in an Ocean view room 1422) and we liked the location, which is away from the pool and main beach but was very quiet and private. The low side is that you have to walk much more to the room, but it is worth it.

The breakfast buffet is good but the quality is 4 star. The fact that there are no FRESH juices and just the bottled ones I do not like. Also there is additional charge if you want espresso or cappuccino. Free is only the standard filter coffee. We tried the Beach BBQ Restaurant menu in the hotel and I did not realized in the first place that this is own cooking venue and found the experience expensive and disappointing. This dining is at strange time from 6 to 8 pm and actually the sea-food is pre-cooked and you just additionally grill it on your table. For $190 for 2 and one beer and one glass of wine it was the worst money I’ve spend in the entire holiday season.

The internet connection isn't good at all (very slow) and because of the system with free vouchers you constantly are asked to insert the codes to restart the internet. Very annoying. I understand that this is satellite internet, but the internet at much more remote and non-civilized Yap island was better.

The taxi rides from the Hotel to the “center” and back to the hotel are fixed at $7 which is very good value. So you can go to the supermarket and get everything you need (there are some good shops with a lot of quality US goods). With my wife we are fans of the Japanese food and we opted for dining options outside the hotel every night except the first night at the hotel with the Beach BBQ option mentioned above. UMI restaurant (Japanese and Korean food) is great, as well as Mito Shushi and Mog-Mog. As you can imagine in Palau you DO HAVE fresh fish so all Sushi, Sashimi, tuna carpaccio and so on are perfect.

SCUBA DIVING
Scuba diving is the first reason to be in Palau and I dived with Splash resident dive shop. I found the service and friendliness of the staff very nice and it was very convenient to dive with them since you were not making any land transfers. Dived twice German Channel, Blue Corner, Blue Hole, few times the New Drop off and many more. All in all fantastic dives, great photographs with Sharks, turtles, Napoleons (especially the close encounters with the big Napoleons at Blue Corner). The dive permit is paid CASH ONLY and is $100 for 10 days including the Jellyfish lake permit. Without Jellyfish Lake the dive permit for 10 days is $50.

Must sees are:
- The Jellyfish lake (try to be there in the very early morning but only when there is a sun as the jellyfish come near the surface when there is sun)
- Siaes Tunnel
- Chandelier cave with an opportunity to watch Mandarin fish in front of the cave entrance

Because of the long term protection of the reefs and the fishing restrictions, Palau has the most bio-diverse reefs with the most mature fish population, I have seen so far some of the Biggest groupers, largest Barracuda schools, more turtles. Only seen more sharks in French Polynesia (Tuamoto’s like Rangiroa and Fakarava are some of the best in the world for sharks, unfortunately so far I’ve not been to Galapagos and Cocos Islands).

Be aware that almost all good dive spots are about 60min speed boat ride away. That makes land based diving time consuming. For the best scuba diving - the liver boat option is the best of course.

SPECIAL TRIPS AND ACTIVITIES
My trips were kindle arrange by Mr. Lawson the extremely nice concierge at PPR.
For me the HIGHLIGHT OF OUR TRIP WAS THE HELICOPTER RIDE WE HAD. OMG the Helicopter ride was one of the most astonishing we’ve ever took. It was better even than the one from Kauai Island in Hawaii). We took a "Doors-Off" 40 minutes ride with Rock Island helicopters (they are part of the Neco Marine). The other helicopter is owned by Fish-N-Fins dive operations their helicopter is called Palau Helicopters. In my opinion whichever flight you get you MUST FLY DOORS-OFF in order to experience these amazing islands. This is definitely worthwhile doing to get that shot you see in all books about Palau especially if you want to see the beauty of the Seventy Islands and I made more than 300 pictures from the helicopter. Seventy islands otherwise are closed for visits as this is sanctuary marine zone with turtles nesting there and only specially licensed scientists can go inside. You can see also all the dive spots like the Blue Hole and Blue Corner, German Channel (including the Manta Rays you can see from the heli, the Natural arc, The Milky Way (made a nice photo of the crocodile inside the Milky Way). The pilot – a very nice guy called Matt Harris joked that “I bet when you went with the boat at Milky Way they did not tell you about the crocodile…” and he was right I was swimming in Milky Way in the same morning… haha. We also saw dugong from the helicopter.

The other must-do is a private boat trip all around Palau. There is a guy named Mr. Henry and his brother Mr. Jessie which can do nice private boat trips including the early visits at Jellyfish Lake. First I read about Mr. Henry on tripadvisor (thanks again tripadvisor!) We went with Mr. Jessie who is Mr. Henry’s brother, as Mr. Henry was busy with other guests. The boat trip was very nice, including a lunch in an uninhabited white sand beach island. I loved Jellyfish Lake and went twice there during our trip, both on a beautiful sunny days.

OVERALL
Palau is so beautiful above and below the water. Must visit destination in your life time. As one of the must visits for divers, so some compromises with the hotels can be made. Make sure you do the Helicopter trip with doors off - it is UNBELEIVABLE experience!

Room Tip: We liked the Ocean View Rooms that are far from the main beach and pool for better privacy
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
10 Thank ivo_k
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We stayed at this hotel in 1991. It was clean then and it's the five star resort we've come to expect and enjoy. I give it high remarks. Food was good. View of the Ocean fantastic. Highly recommend. We entertained friends and enjoyed our meals on the property.

Room Tip: Ask for the best view, nicest room and go have a look see. Heck tell them u r a repeat customer and...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Julianne Z
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 12, 2014

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying here after 10 days on the Palau Siren.This was our second time and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The grounds and beach area are wonderful as is the staff and service. If this hotel was closer to home, we would stay here alot more often. We celebrated New Years Eve at the PPR with a dinner and rockin' party on the beach. I can't remember ever having that much fun! The staff really makes you feel welcome wherever you are and always had a genuine smile on their face. We went diving with Splash -the dive shop onsite. We specified that we were advanced divers and wanted to get at least one hour of bottom time. They pared us up with Sherlock (good dive guide) and two other Japanese divers. It worked out well and it was a great day since we went to German Channel and Blue Corner. We did one shore dive and were a bit disappointed with it. The reef is not in that great condition and not alot of critters to be seen. But it was hard to compare since we were so spoiled with all the great dive sites we had just dove. When eating breakfast at the buffet, be sure to ask Tony the chef, to make you any marine shaped pancakes you want. He made me shark shaped ones and they were great. My husband and I went to the spa and had a couples massage with 4 ladies. It was very nice and relaxing. It would be great if the buffet breakfast stayed open until 10am during the week. The food, grounds, room and staff are top notch. We had a fantastic time!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle
Reviewed January 11, 2014

This is definitely the most expensive accommodation in Palau, and my only criticism is that it's pretty far away from everything else. Of course, for some people, that could be a benefit. The grounds are exquisitely landscaped, and the onsite restaurants are good. They have a very nice beach for swimming and snorkeling as well as classes such as yoga and basketweaving. We booked an oceanside room which was very quiet and had a nice view of the sunset.

Room Tip: The oceanside rooms are in a separate wing, and also have roomy balconies. Very quiet and secluded.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 9, 2014

My wife and I are a world travelers, we work hard all year around and travel 3 times a year. Our major trip every year is from Christmas until a week after new year, about 18 days. This New Year 2014 we choose to visit Palau Island and after carefully reviewing we choose to book our stay at the Palau Pacific Resorts, quit expensive $600 per night but find out that was the best $600 x 14 we ever spend. The resort is highly maintained, the most beautiful beach front you will ever see that makes you feel like you are in a pool but in reality you are in the sea, 30-40 feet away from the shore you can snorkel on a reef that is full of sea life, like many colors of fish, turtles, big clams and amazing corals, only to see that most people go scuba diving and they will be lucky to have it all in a one place, but this is only steps away from your room. The rooms are one of the best I had in any 5 stars hotels around the world. The food is all fresh and almost as good as an upscale NYC restaurant, you can't expect more for an Island. but that's not all, the best part is the SERVICE! not anywhere you'll ever visit you'll find a highly trained, knowledgeable, extremely kind and polished staff in every department or category you could think of. I have never experienced such a perfection.
PPR as the Palauin people call it, is the one place every world traveler that respect him/her self should experience at least once in a life time. They have a couples area on the beach and a more family area by the pool. I could stay there for ever, but since I know it will never happened I will definitely go and visit there again.

Room Tip: Try to book the building 1 or 2 that are close to the restaurant, bar, pool and beach. I prefer the...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple