“Best on the Island”

Palau Pacific Resort
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Koror
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Good, comfortable resort. The staff is excellent and provides personalized service.
Just ask and they will try to please. The beach is wonderful. The resort layout is good. The rooms are good. What is not so good: food quality is only average, menu average, beer and wine choices very, very limited.

The bad: overpriced. This is basically a three or four star resort charging five star prices. It is, however, clearly the best resort on Palau.

I would stay again if on Palau, but I would be in Palau only for the scuba diving (spectacular diving!)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ocean45

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Very happy that we chose this hotel. Couldn't be nicer! The staff went out of their way to accommodate our needs. Everyone from the front desk to the kitchen staff to the pool attendants everyone was just excellent, happy & genuinely friendly. The only meal we ate in the hotel was the breakfast buffet and it was spectacular. Great assortment of east meets west with something for everyone,food quality was A++. We arrived VERY early in the morning and the hotel helped hook us up with a taxi tour of the island as well as a great boat captain that we ended up hiring for 3 days for all our water activities while we were there. Traveling around the island we looked at some of the other hotel options and really felt me made the best choice. Look forward to returning to Palau and staying again~!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We stayed here for our honeymoon in January and loved the island! From our research we found that this was the best hotel on the Island and were not disappointed.

The staff was friendly and the rooms did not disappoint.

Highlights - the reef attached to the hotel is probably the best reef for snorkelling. You can also rent water cycles and kayaks from the hotel. I used the spa and really enjoyed the treatment. The little cottages where for the spa are really beautiful and relaxing. The food and beverage manager is from India and was delighted to see Indians at the resort. He even joined us for a drink one night and helped us extend our check out which was very helpful as we had planned a kayak tour that morning and now had a room to come back to to shower and change.

Negatives - the hotel is expensive and everything (including food and drinks) is on the expensive side. The island in general is expensive. Our hotel rate did not include breakfast which was surprising. We were shocked to receive a bill for over $40 (USD) on the first day for breakfast. Additionally, one morning my husband went for breakfast (paid for the buffet) and then came back to wake me up and say with me while I had my breakfast. He ordered a cup of black coffee then and they charged us for it. We told them that we already paid for a buffet breakfast but they said he left the restaurant and hence had to charge for the coffee. My husband doesn't like to fight so we just left it that. Lastly, the hotel is a little away from everything.

Overall I did enjoy our stay and the island is so beautiful and the diving out of this world that I was happy to overlook the negatives.

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank Umehani
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Best resort on the island by.far. Beautiful sandy beach, pool, hot tub, rooms, attitude and staff, Twice daily maid service, Japanese style toilets....the kind that does everything for you, if you know what I mean! Only negative is cost of food and on sight spa...very pricey! the beachside BBQ is $60 to $80 per person.....breakfast buffet is $30 pp. But for a $7 taxi ride, there are several good less expensive options in town. Get a second floor room, they have beautiful pitched ceilings!

Room Tip: Second floor, ocean view, we stayed in room 526
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank pirateis48
Reviewed September 13, 2013

The staff in this resort hotel are among the most helpful, welcoming and friendly I have encountered. For each and every one of them it felt like they were welcoming me into their own home and had a keen interest in making sure I enjoyed my stay. This was not done in an obtrusive way - if you wanted to blend into the background and be left in peace this was also possible.
It is one of the few hotels in Palau that has beach front access which is what attracted me to it. It is a lovely little beach with crystal clear water and, as it is west facing, you get to witness amazing sunsets. In fact sunset was probably the busiest time on the beach as everyone came back from their day's exploits to enjoy the setting sun.

Other reviewers speak about price, and it has to be said, it isn't cheap and you will get more for your money elsewhere in the world (and less in some places!) but you have to remember the remoteness of these islands and all the restrictions they have imposed on themselves in order to preserve this little corner of paradise.

I ate breakfast and a dinner in the restaurant. The food was fresh, tasty and well presented.
On the evenings where I wanted to eat elsewhere the concierge willingly made the reservations and arranged for that restaurant to come and collect me.

The location was fine for me as I was either fine to spend a day on the beach or had arranged day trips where the tour company picked me up either from the resort's jetty or by car. Some people may prefer staying closer to town.

I had a late flight. On request, the staff made facilities available to me to shower in the evening and, of course, store my luggage for most of the day.

I did encounter a couple of issues, not of the hotel's making, but found the staff to be very helpful and accommodating in resolving these issues.

Room Tip: I enjoyed my ocean front room close to the main hotel complex (block 3). I can't say I noticed...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank skatexplorer
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I thought I was the only one night, but I want to at least two nights. Service of the hotel staff also nice, the room was also very comfortable widely. Internet that can be used for free was put to shop.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 25, 2013

This is probably the best option on the island but the bar is low. I do realize you are in the middle of nowhere and getting stuff to the island is difficult and expensive. So my comments are tempered a bit due to these factors. The best thing about the place are the people, who are extremely friendly and truly want to help you if they can. Every employee went out of their way to make sure we had a good visit even though a number of the issues they were not able to resolve.

The biggest negative was huge in my book. They have roosters all over the property that begin crowing at 5ish am and continue all morning - right outside your patio. Unbelievable! At these prices you would at least expect to be able to sleep past 5 am. There was no attempt to keep them out or shoo them away from the rooms. If you are a sound sleeper you will may be ok, but I am not. It was extremely frustrating.

Didn't try the spa but the exercise room was pretty small. They did have a nice variety of water toys for the ocean, including a few nice catamarans. They are improving their dock so the dive boats have good access for pick up and drop off.

Great and inexpensive laundry service. Food ok. Pool and hot tub extremely crowded in the late afternoon. Even ran out of towels several days.

The rooms are nice but be sure to get one on the second floor with vaulted ceilings. Otherwise you might feel a little claustrophobic and will hear the people above you. No wifi but that is probably standard everywhere on the island.

If we come back, and I hope we do some day since the diving is spectacular, we will stay here again but this time with the proper expectations and some ear plugs.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family