“The BEST of the best.......”

Palau Pacific Resort
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Koror
Reviewed August 12, 2012

This is my 5th time in Palau (I'm an avid diver) and can guarantee you a nirvana experience by visiting this oh so special place! I began visiting Palau 20 years and have stayed at the Palau Pacific Resort each time. It is the BEST of the best. Nestled on it's own magical bay, the resort is perfect in every way. The location couldn't be more ideal. White sand, aqua water, your own private aquarium to snorkel, a sensational spa (try the Balinese massage!!), an infinity pool and other wonderful activities at your fingertips to help make every day special. And, for divers, I highly recommend Splash, which is on the property.
The level of service is primo and everyone remembers your name from the first time they meet you. The buffets are terrific and if you want the very, very best sashimi in the world, you're at the right place. I flew thru Narita to get home and had sashimi there...it wasn't even close.
I have travelled the world pursuing my love of diving and Palau and the Palau Pacific Resort is the only place I return to.
SAM'S DIVE SHOP: HORRIFIC!!!
I used Sam's the last two times I was in Palau and was thrilled. However, they have gotten too big and I found it the worst total dive experience I've had in decades! It started with me being picked up the first day (20 minutes late) in a 20 year old van that was rusty inside. In days to come the sliding door almost fell off; the engine which was at my feet didn't start so they manually started it and sent ghastly fumes throughout the car; we waited 1 1/2 hours AFTER a day of diving to be taken home, and....the best...the car actually broke down and I had to wait for the wonder Palau Pacific folks to send one of their people to pick me up in his car. OK....now on to the diving stuff. I wanted to take a practice dive since it had been 2 years. I have close to 2,000 dives, but I like to be cautious. I was charged $150 for a "refresher course" which consisted of 30 minutes of taking a test and the having a one tank dive. The only ISSUE was the dive was at the end of their pier with super low visibility and only silt to see. I had flown 29 hours to experience this?? What a joke. And what a joke of a price! DAY 2: went to Ulong Channel and the dive master, Matsu, DID NOT POINT OUT ONE SINGLE THING. Apparently, the group that had Ali had better luck. DAY 3: they scheduled me on a boat that was doing Ulong Channel AGAIN...really?! Well, I was changed to another boat that was doing German Channel. Great. Only problem was the boat had beginners and I came up on both dives with 1800 psi.
DAY 4: German Channel AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Palau has a plethora of dive sites. The managing staff at Sam's needs to be replaced, as do several of the dive masters. And, by the way, Sam was no where to be found.
Sooooooooooooooo.....................for the first time ever, I transferred my gear to SPLASH, the dive center at the Palau Pacific Resort. Thank heavens I did!! Every dive was extraordinary, because my dive master, Sherlock (the very best) was magical in finding everything there was to find AND on my last dive I was taken to Blue Corner and given the opportunity to dive it twice. Beyond a dream come true.
Ok, so I'm wordy. I've never written a review before, but have always read others and used travelers' advice. So I hope this helps someone. Happy traveling and diving!

Room Tip: I love the ocean front rooms and being on the bottom floor. The rooms have their own balconies and a...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank Dollphin824

Reviewed August 1, 2012

The Palau Pacific Resort is one of the few properties in Palau with a beach, and their's is a very beautiful and well-kept one. Their rooms are well appointed and its worth upgrading to an ocean front room as the views are great. The bed mattresses are firm, which I loved but some reviewers apparently found too firm. Bathrooms are fine with, somewhat surprisingly (until you realize most of their guest are Japanese) very fancy multi-function Toto toilets.

The grounds are lush and well kept, with two good tennis courts and a well-equipped gym on site. The staff are extremely helpful and pleasant to deal with (this is true, however, of most people in Palau). The hotel is particularly adept at waking you up and retrieving your bags to make sure you make your 2:30 am United flight, or 4:30 a.m. Delta flight out of Palau. They also were very helpful in arranging for me to have a local sim card waiting for me at the front desk upon arrival (AT&T has no service on Palau). The local sim card worked great (free incoming calls), and I had it filled at the dive shop, Sam's Tours. Internet service in the room was decent and easy to set up, albeit a bit slow (common at hotels).

The hotel dining comprises three facilities, a barbecue restaurant on the beach (never ate their and it looked empty much of the time), a main dining room/restaurant service a buffet and a la carte, and a fancier restaurant located inside the main dining area. I only ate in the main dining area. The buffet was somewhat expensive $38 pp, and fine if you are the all you can eat type, but otherwise typical of a buffet. The main menu was good, with wonderful fresh parrotfish, grilled to perfection. Service was wanting however, as the staff tended to forget about you once they brought the entree to the table - they seem to have trouble differentiating which tables are eating from the buffet and which are eating a la carte - the latter obviously need a different level of service.

The property is not in town, and it takes 5-10 minutes by cab to get to and from town. Cab fare is only $5 each way however (plus tip, please), so its no big deal.

All in all, the Palau Pacific Resort is a well run, well-appointed property and I would happily stay there again on my next trip to Palau.

Room Tip: Buildings 10, 11, and 12 all face the ocean. I was in room 1121, which was on the second floor (hig...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
9  Thank jongab
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed at PPR as a base for diving with Neco Marine. Our room was quite comfortable and clean, with nice views of the pool and ocean. Plenty of room to store our clothes and dry our dive gear. The staff was extremely helpful in all matters, the food was good (a bit on the expensive side, so we only ate here one evening), and the drinks and complimentary popcorn at the beach bar were superb. Two bartenders in particular stood out- Maria was very personable and gave us tips on where to eat in town, and Philip was always cheerful (seemed like he worked 18 hours a day....) and interested in how our day had been. The pool area was VERY busy, but this is a resort, and as we didn't hang around the hotel (diving all day), that didn't bother us. We were allowed to take pool towels off-site on the dive boat (not all hotels like you to do this...). Neco Marine picks divers up at 8:00 and returns you to your hotel. They will rinse out and store your gear at the end of every dive day, so no need to drip your way through the lobby. They also provide a free shuttle for divers wanting to go into town in the evening- a 10-20 minute trip depending on stops (just tip the driver), but if you're not diving with them, you can buy a 7 day shuttle bus ticket for $7.00 (even if you only need it for 5-6 days).

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank divetravel
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We stayed at PPR for 3 nights, it really is a lovely resort type hotel that has its own private beach. The rooms are nice, spacious, have comfortable beds, you can choose between a sea view and a garden view. The staff are probably the most friendliest hotel staff I have ever met, especially the food and beverage staff. there are 2 restaurants to choose from, and there is also a bar that serves food and a bbq restaurant that is open each night. The spa is also really nice, however i did find it a little overpriced. The hotel is in fact for me personally close to being perfect, what more could you ask for than sitting on a private beach, being served by the friendliest of people all day long. There is one thing though that does let the hotel down and that is that if you are an outsider or local you can pay $35USD to use the hotels facilities for the day. For me this ruins the hotel. naturally at the weekend lots of locals/outsiders came to the hotel to use the facilities, the pool (its quite small) was over run, all the sun loungers were taken up, the bar was busy with loud drunk local US Marines swearing and cursing and getting louder and louder the more they drank. There were families that brought their children, the children too were (whilst I'm sure having fun) screaming and making a lot of noise. Noone once went up to them to ask them to keep it down. the day users have absolutely no disregard for the hotel users. why must i pay $400 a night for a peaceful, quiet place that gets ruined by someone who pays $35 for the day. The drunk US Marines/Navy guys were the worst and noone asked them to keep it down or stop swearing. Also we were told that the navy were going to use the resort on the 4th of july - 400 navy/marines were going to be there. I would not have been impressed if I was still there when this happened, we were not told that they were coming when we checked in or before we made the booking. imagine having 400 drunk ''macho acting'' marines all over the place, not pleasant at all! Therefore I would recommend to anyone reading this to stay in a cheaper place and go to PPR pay the $35 and use the facilities there for a day, you could save yourself $300. I would also recommend that day users and children under 12 have a separate place where they can enjoy the resort, the resort is big enough for there to be a separate place so that the hotel guests can still have some peace.

Room Tip: day users can use the hotel for $35 a day, taking over the place and ruining the whole peaceful atmo...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank dballadon
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We stayed at thePPR from 5th to 10th June and we had a wonderful holiday. The lagoon was beautiful, the service excellent too. The only down point with this place is the great difficulty in getting a reservation as it becomes fully booked with large Korean, Japanese and Chinese tour groups. I recommend that you persevere though as it is a wonderful place, and..during the day and early evenings the resort is very quiet as all the tour groups are out touring. In the evenings it is also quiet as the tourists on the tour groups are exhausted, although they do make a big noise as they arrive very early in the morning from their flights. The Korean tours arrive very early.

Room Tip: Ocean view is very lovely.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 9, 2012

We just came back from one week at the PPR and it has been one of the best places we have stayed. I would not rate it five star but it comes close and here's why:
- Excellent service - everyone is very helpful! Whenever we asked for anything, we got it right away. All we had to do was ask.
- Location - about 10-15 minutes from town, and had shuttles to town for $7 a week. and it had a Great snorkeling beach !
- Food- cannot compare with other places since we did to go to others , but had great BBQ ribs, buffet breakfast, seafood penne and we loved the vanilla ice cream with caramel sauce, yummy!
-Beach- there is a great cove, with lots of reef fish like parrotfish, Moorish idols, and giant clams!!! I loved snorkeling there.
- the one thing that I was not happy about was how hard the bed was. I folded the duvet and slept on top of that, and that helped a lot.
- the Balinese inspired spa was also excellent, I had a Bali massage and that was just so relaxing and soothing. The massage rooms are small cottages overlooking the sea.
- there is a small beautiful pool, a few feet from the beach, wish it was a bit bigger because when 3 families with kids come, it quickly becomes very crowded.
-Activities- it has Splash, a dive shop onsite; kayaks,snorkel equipment for rent; fish feeding at the lagoon. It would be great if they could have movie night, a library of books, games for kids like a crab race? Or hula lessons?
- entertainment - they did have Polynesian dancers a couple of nights and they were a lot of fun to watch.
- the resort grounds are gorgeous and very well kept, they even grow their own orchids! They can compare to resorts In Hawaii!
- the room is a good size with a small fridge for drinks, it has coffee/tea pot, small tv, small patio with two chairs, a safe, nice hot rain shower, the Internet is free but not super fast though I was able to log on everyday with no problem. Tv reception is not great but you're on vacation so really no big deal...spend time relaxing not tv watching. The bathroom toiletries are in a basket, all from Neutrogena - shampoo, conditioner, soap, lotion.
So overall, we loved the PPR and felt we certainly made the right choice and it definitely added to a memorable vacation in beautiful Palau!!!

Room Tip: We thought the garden view was just as nice as the ocean view. The ground floor is better in our opi...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mychinita
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I stayed one night at the PPR after a live aboard. My husband took ill and was in the local hospital, which was surprisingly well equipt with good doctors. The hotel immediately told me that they were at my service to take me to and from the hospital at no charge. They made a bag of toiletries with a robe for my husband and helped me with whatever I needed. They picked us up at the hospital in a private car and took us to the airport at midnight. Each one at the front desk knew me and helped me. I felt like I had family there. On the last day I forgot a new shirt in my room. One of the staff brought it to the hospital on her way home. These are great people.

My room was beautiful and had a view of the sunsets. They had nightly entertainment and good food. Sunday they had Polenesian dancers. While I understand the complaints of some about the rigid check out schedule, it is understandable since all the flights leave and arrive late in the day. They would have to make acceptions for everyone if they did.

The hotel also has free wireless internet (Palau speed) in the lobby and the best snorkling on the island. I would not stay here if you want to go to town daily but why would you? Town only has other restaurants that are not that good.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple