“A room with a view”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Koror
Aliiibamou Resorts Carolines
Ranked #10 of 29 Hotels in Koror
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“A room with a view”
Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at Carolines for 4 days in December. The 8 bungalows are situated on a hill with a gorgeous view of the surrounding countryside and the Philippine Sea. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Each night we ordered breakfast to be delivered the following morning. There is a good variety to choose from but I had the fried rice the first morning and enjoyed it so much that I continued to order it. Breakfast averaged around $8 and is included for a 7-night stay. Best part is you can eat it on your balcony while you enjoy the view.

After breakfast, we were picked up at the front office by someone from Fish 'n Fins so that we could spend the morning diving. The diving was included in our stay as was a daily pass to Palau Pacific Resort where we could sit by a pool, snorkel off of their lovely beach and pay insane prices for drinks. A two way transfer to PPR is provided by Carolines for $3 or, if you're feeling adventurous, it's not that far to walk.

Carolines would also provide transportation to and from local restaurants for a minimal charge. Talk to the staff and get recommendations. There were a few restaurants we tried that weren't on the list they provided that were excellent. I recommend The Sushi Bar (located under Taj) for Japanese and Carp Island Restaurant for local fare. Kramer's Cafe was also good.

I would definitely recommend this resort. And I can't say enough about their wonderful staff - they were always willing to go out of their way to make our trip exceptional. We've stayed at quite a few places around the world that were so 'sanitized' that it would be hard to recognize which country you were in. Not so, Carolines. They were a breath of fresh air.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jodie S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We spent 7 days here and absolutely loved the balance of the great views, super friendly and helpful staff. They deliver breakfast every morning to have out on the balcony overlooking the bay below, perfect for planning the days adventures.The units are rustic, traditional bungalows and are not for those looking for the 4 star beach resort, but you shouldn't come to Palau for that anyways. You do get access to the PPR beach which is a nice perk but it is better to get out and explore this magical island. All in all, a great place for us to come home to each day after full days in the ocean and jungles.

Room Tip: All units have greats views but units 4 and 5 seem to have thebest
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Stelios1963
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed December 2, 2013

My wife and I visited Palau for four days of scuba diving and kayaking, and Carolines was recommended to us by a colleague who had stayed there many years before (we had been to Palau before, and stayed at one of the hotels on Babeldaob, but it was too far from the dive shops and we spent a lot of every day in transit). We were very impressed. All of the "rooms" were actually separate bungalows, so we had lots of privacy. The wood was beautiful, and the decor matched the locale. The staff were incredibly friendly, and went out of their way to be helpful. Our flight out was at 2 AM, and we fully expected to have to pack our things and check out before 11 AM. However, they said that since there was no one staying in our bungalow the next day, we could have it for as long as we wanted at no additional charge. The rooms were very clean. They had geckos and ants, of course, but that's inevitable in a tropical climate,. The shower worked great - plenty of hot water. There was no restaurant per se, but you could order breakfast or sandwiches and they delivered them to your room. We ate breakfast every day on a balcony with a beautiful view of the lagoon. The first day we did it simply out of convenience, but it was delicious - beautiful bacon, pancakes, omelets, French toast, etc. Everything was very tasty. They didn't have a lot of facilities, but I believe we were entitled to use the facilities of the much more expensive Palau Pacific Resort. However, since we were diving every day we were pretty tired, and never made it there. They also had a free shuttle that would take us into town, but we never used it. It turned out that four of the restaurants in Koror had free pick-up at Carolines, so we went out two nights for Italian and one night for Indian (both delicious). Other meals we took at the dive shop (Sam's Tours). There was no internet in the rooms, but it was easy to go to the lobby and connect ($5 for two hours). The internet was slow, but it is slow everywhere in Palau. In general, our expectations were exceeded in every category. We would definitely stay at Carolines again.

Room Tip: The higher the number, the further you have to walk up the hill! Room 1 is probably the best!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank FrequentIndia
hong kong
Reviewed November 20, 2013

This is a tough review. Our balcony looking down upon the beautiful ocean in the morning with roosters crowing watching the day begin is pretty special here at Carolines. The greeting at arrival was warm and genuine. Quite simply you get a view and a taste of nature, but here comes the hard part: it comes with a sacrifice, so not for the faint hearted. Not being obsessed with being on the internet gave me some time for reflection and reading and so by now, day 2, I am really liking this quiet but we really are disconnected.

The bedsheets and blanket are spartan and made for a four feet person, it wrecked my back which ached for days. I moved from number 6 to 8 and there was a real bed with real sheets and mattress which helped. (I could never sleep in that bed in 6 again.) When you charge these kinds of prices, there is a minimum standard expected and when management cannot provide a decent bed with proper bedding, it is not the staff's fault, it is theirs, which irritates me because the staff are so sweet.

The things they do right: there is a well stocked minibar chock full of beers, wines, soft drinks and snacks, just right for a hungry diver coming in with little interest in going out to drink. They do not have a restaurant but will bring moderately priced sandwiches/meals to your room of the evening. Breakfast is served 7am to 10 every morning, very yummy, my omelet was divine, again, they bring it to your room and you can sit on your balcony and enjoy it, probably the finest thing you'll find here. The view is the best in Palau. Also the air conditioner works really good, the room is nice and cool.

The bathroom is small of course and dated, but you do get a shower with hot water. I can imagine many folks stay one night here and bolt to the comfort of a hotel chain: that however was not my case and I sat out to simply enjoy it. Would I stay here again? Probably not. I will have memories of here but alas, the most prominent one will be back pain. Sorry, this is a miss.

Room Tip: If you do stay here, Cabin 8 on top of the hill has better beds than Cabin 6. Cant tell you more abo...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank twodoggzz
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

We had a quaint little cottage with a great ocean view, this was especially nice to enjoy when having a yummy breakfast from the balcony. Cottage was old but clean and spacious. All staff at Caroline's were very very friendly and made us feel really special. Included airport pickups which was nice. We would stay again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ano444
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon. It's not the most luxurious resort but we really enjoyed our stay and the staff were very helpful. The rooms have a lovely view from the balcony and breakfast is served at a time you select and you can eat taking in the view. Only downside is that there were some swarms of insects on a couple of days which meant we had to eat inside. The villas themselves are quite basic and could use a bit of a makeover. They seemed to be some renovations happening while we stayed there, so this might be underway. You have a lot of privacy here as the cabins are high up and at a good distance apart from the next. You can use the beach at PPR for free, this is a big plus as Caroline's has no pool or beach.

Room Tip: There's a bit of a hike to the villas further away from reception, so ask for one a bit closer.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank MandK2013
Southern California
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I looked at this place versus the Palau Pacific and feel I made a great choice! The place was empty so I was given the best room #7. It was a climb but I didn't mind the daily exercise. The view was fantastic! Both sunrise and sunset were stunning, complete with rainbows. Breakfast on the balcony every morning was perfect. The staff was friendly and even offered to round up a spider I saw while I was out to dinner. The room was clean but for those who complain about bugs....it is the tropics and its up to you to take precautions to keep down the bug population in your room. The native wood that the room was built out was fantastic too. It was a bare minimum place but perfect for someone like me who was out all day enjoying the islands and then back on my balcony for an evening cocktail in a very quiet private place. Besides, if you don't speak Japanese or Korean, you won't have many people to talk to anyhow. No one spoke to me at the Palau Pacific or even looked at me.

Room Tip: higher up on the hill is best
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo