“Great diving, great staff”
Review of Fish 'n Fins Palau

Fish 'n Fins Palau
Book In Advance
More Info
$125.00*
and up
Rock Islands Kayak and Snorkel Small-Group Tour...
Ranked #3 of 29 Tours in Koror
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Fish 'n Fins Palau's premium PADI 5 Star IDC and Diving Center, Ocean Hunter Liveaboards, Fish 'n Fins Kayaking & Paddle Boarding Tours, Palau Island Tours, Skydive Palau, Palau Helicopters, Off Road Jungle Tours & Barracuda Restaurant - Mediterranean, vegan & vegetarian cuisine.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Stroller parking
Reviewed December 8, 2014

As a novice advanced open water diver (less than 30 dives) and not having been diving for 6 months I needed a bit of looking after and that's exactly what they did. From the initial advice to try a larger tank as i'm a bit of an oxygen pig to continually helping with the storage and preparation of my non standard tank on the boat everyone was really helpful. I always felt safe in the water and completed 13 dives over my stay.

Did most of my diving with Angelo as Dive Master and he was fantastic doing a lot of fish spotting for us and insuring the sites were suitable for the dive at the time, also appreciated Hiro's expertise while doing my first cave dive. The other staff that were on the boat were also all really helpful and professional.

Maslin and Junior as captains gave us some great rides through the many idyllic islands that are Palau.

The diving was fantastic and Palau should really be congratulated for trying to preserve the marine environment by stopping fishing. Who could ask for a better last days diving than watching schools of sharks at Blue Corner and Mantas in the German Channel.

The jungle trip by ATV with Kent on the day when I flew out was also a great day with a knowledgeable guide.

I had booked a package that included accommodation and from the moment I was picked up at the airport at 2.30 am in the morning to when I was dropped off at 7.00 pm on the last day everything out of the water went smoothly as well.

Almost forgot to mention the cafe at the Dive Shop tasty lemon cake to start the day and a cold beer to finish.

Fish and Fins really enhanced my Palau diving experience and I am looking forward to diving with them again one day.

All reviews
"german channel"
in 17 reviews
"boat captain"
in 15 reviews
"just returned from a week"
"professional dive operation"
in 8 reviews
"great diving"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed November 21, 2014

Had the misfortune of having to deal directly with the owners of this well known fishing/diving establishment multiple times over 2 weeks and each encounter was horrifying. The hard working employees on the ground do their best, but they are fighting a battle against the bullying owners who have a truly poisonous attitude. They are not remotely customer focussed, they actively lied about what they had sold to us, they were underhand and when confronted aggressive and rude. We were with a group of 6 and for all of us they were the low point of a great experience in Palau. I strongly recommend you go elsewhere. We ended up finding "MAMl Divers" a couple of km away and had the completely opposite experience - go there instead!

12  Thank Jeremy S
Reviewed November 18, 2014

As someone who has been involved in diving for many years, I had heard about diving in Palau. It seemed so to be a dreamland for dives , yet being so far away seemed unreachable. Over time I developed an idealized picture of what diving there must be like.

Only in 2014 did traveling to Palau become a reality. I and 4 friends chose to be hosted by Fish N' Fins and dive from their small live aboard, the Ocean Hunter I. The Fish N' Fins website hides no information. All the terms and conditions are clearly stated

After a long journey, which included a 36 hour layover in Seoul, we landed in Koror at 01:30 and made our way to a local hotel. As promised, at 10:30 the next morning a Fish N' Fins van was at the hotel to take us and our gear to the dive shop/anchorage. Nice car, friendly driver, right on time. A good start.

Approaching the Fish N' Fins center from the street, it doesn't seem like much. But as soon as you get through the front door, it all changes. You gaze upon a picture perfect dive shop, with all the gear and accessories on could need on a dive safari. A courteous staff welcomes you and assist in preparing the paper work that all dive venture companies require. Looking around you see that all is well planned. There is a board with the compliment of the OH I listed , including who is in which cabin. Already looks well organized.

Walking out the back door to the small harbor, you see 2 live-aboards and 14 chase boats, some of which accompany the live-aboards and the others dedicated to day trips. Each chase boat equipped with two powerful engines (to maximize diving time and minimize the time used up to get to the site). All in perfect order, each craft in ship-shop condition.

While we were busy with the paperwork the staff moved all of our gear to the boat. After coffee we boarded , settled in our cabins and left for the week right at 12:00, as advertized.
The Ocean Hunter is a small live aboard. It is not new. But she is very well maintained and perfectly appointed. Attention has been paid to every detail. Starting with the diving support infrastructure to a good supply of all the necessary toiletries in the head. I found the boat to be cozy. ( A disclosure here, as noted, we were a group of friends and the small craft suited us just fine. )

During the journey to the first site, lunch was served. The meals on the OH 1 were 4 fork meals. To start with they are so well presented on the table that you hate to mess it up by eating. Meals were just as tasty and , except for breakfasts no meal was repeated. If your intention is to diet on you dive safari, this is not the boat you want.

The Fish N Fins people did not make the waters of Palau as beautiful as they are. But the OH 1 crew did choose a great selection of dive sites, and as the week moved on we were offered the opportunity to repeat any site. There is no ocean animal shown in the prospectus that we did not have the pleasure of seeing in our dives. A real treat. As is common practice a dive master accompanied us on all dives, often pointing our features we might have missed. (I forgot my camera on board the OH 1 when we set off on our chase boat to the dive in which the super-sized manta ray appeared and decided to dance around us for 10 minutes.)

Just to give and example of the service. One day we decided to use the 2 Kayaks on board for a some alternate exercise. It turned out that someone had off loaded one of the oars. Within 2 hours a chase boat arrived from the Koror base with the missing oar.

Since we had made the journey all the way to Palau, we decided to stay on for several days. One day we just toured around Koror and visited the nearby Palau International Coral Reef Center and Aquarium.

On subsequent days we took two tours offered by Fish N' Fins. One a driving tour throughout the large Island to the north and another an ATV journey through the jungles of the north island. On both we enjoyed the presence of a great guide named Kent. On these all day trips Fish N' Fins also supplies lunch.

Fish N' Fins is a big operation. In addition to all the floating craft I mentioned, they have a dive school, a restaurant on the pier, a large staff of over 100, no less 800 scuba tanks in service !!!, and complete supply of gear for rental (I brought my own, but on of our party rented virtually new gear), and as noted, a shop full of gear and souvenirs to buy. I mentioned the ATV tour. We used two vehicles, but there were 4 more.

Fish N' Fins also offers a helicopter tour of the region from above. The weather was poor so we skipped. This tour is a bit pricey.

Our flight out from Koror to Korea was at 03:00. At 01:00 the car from Fish N' Fins was at our hotel and quickly brought us to the airport. A good ending.

I know that there are other dive centers which offer live aboard trips in Palau. I do not know much about them. But on an absolute scale, Fish N' Fins is more than fine. When I return to Palau, I will return to Fish N' Fins.

1  Thank Saba_Stephen
Reviewed November 16, 2014

Just returned from a week long trip with Oceanic Society and Fish n Fins. It was everything we anticipated and then some. I know the operation caters to divers but our group of all snorkelers was treated very well and taken to some incredible spots. We did bring our own gear so can't comment on rentals, but what they had looked great.

Guide Robin and boat captain Maslin were terrific and made sure we saw what we were interested in and had fun while being safe (including a day when we had to change plans due to a big swell on the outer reef). If someone needed something special, they didn't hesitate to help out.

Excellent operation and great staff. The ocean and reefs of Palau were the stars, but we couldn't have enjoyed them without Fish N Fins. Mahalo.

1  Thank corisline