“Great value at the Guest Lodge”
Review of Guest Lodge Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Koror
Guest Lodge Motel
Ranked #23 of 31 Hotels in Koror
Reviewed February 2, 2013

The Guest Lodge Motel offers divers a great value for the rate requested. I last stayed there in January 2013 for 14 nights. It's locally owned by a very nice Palauan family who are responsive to your needs. The Motel offers airport pick-up and drop-off, and, when requested, can arrange a rental car. Air conditioners worked well, bedrooms and bathrooms were kept clean, and the location offered walking access to Koror's "shopping district." There is a phone, tv, and small refrigerator in each room. Hot water for tea and coffee is available on the rooms' outdoor deck. The rooms are quiet and appear secure.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms that face the front outdoor deck and parking lot are the most desirable.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank vagabond07

Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed here 10 nights on a dive trip in May 2012. When we arrived at the airport, someone was waiting for us (as well as someone from Sam's Tours regarding our diving the next morning!). When we first got to our room, it was hot--it would be nice if they had turned on the A/C in anticipation of our arrival--and we were a little worried. But it turned out great. The room cooled down and we slept quite well. The shower has plenty of water pressure, which is really nice when you need to wash salt water out of long, thick hair every day.

The room had a refrigerator, we had brought some packaged foods, like tuna and salad dressing. We bought local vegetables and made many of our own meals. After a couple of days, we discovered there is a community microwave on the front balcony, which we used for our microwave popcorn we had brought. No coffee makers in the rooms but hot water on front and back balconies. We had brought coffee and filters and improvised with a large, sturdy plastic cup & a hair band to hold the filter, put coffee in the filter, pour in some hot water and Voila! our own coffee :)

The rooms are not fancy but they are decent, the family that runs it is nice, they supply plenty of towels and clean every day. The dive operations pick up and drop off, so we only rented a car for our last day to tour the island. The hotel is within easy walking distance of stores, restaurants and the jail--the only place to buy storyboards (be sure to negotiate with them, they don't expect you to pay the posted prices). None of the stores or museum had anywhere near the variety of storyboards to choose from.

All in all, if you want to stay in Palau on a budget and have more money to spend on diving, etc., we would highly recommend the Guest Lodge. The wireless internet had something to be desired but we spoke to people we met diving, staying at mid-range and expensive resorts, and they all had the same issue. It is not a Guest Lodge issue, it is an island issue!

Room Tip: We had a corner room on the back. Quiet. The family lives across the hall on the back side. Only ab...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank juliedreamstoo
Reviewed April 11, 2012

What a gem. This is reasonably priced , clean comfortable and the family who run it will do anything to assist . The location is fabulous only about a ten minute walk to town and you will save on accommodation to be able to do more tours of the rock islands (amazing). Some of the other similar priced accommodation are far more lower grade to this one The roooms are very large with air con and there are restaurents not far away. Tucked in a back street it also nice and quiet. . If you have the opportunity to stay here do it . Would stay there again

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank workNsw
Reviewed February 10, 2012

I discovered family owned and run, Guest Lodge Motel last year and liked it so well I went back this year for 17 days. They have airport pick-up and delivery which is important as the flights mostly arrive and depart in the wee hours of the morning. The rooms are quite large and spacious with free TV, air conditioning, hot water shower and tub, one double bed, one single bed, couch, coffee table, another table and chair for your laptop, fridge and best of all-free WiFi, all at very reasonable prices. Most restaurants, the post office and markets are within a few blocks, but the motel is off the main street and is very quiet. I never once needed a taxi or rental car as the dive shop-in my case, Sam's Tours-provided transportation to and from the motel and everything else was in walking distance. If you do need a rental car to sight see or any tour information the very friendly motel staff will find you a very reasonable deal.
Note that if you are not in Palau for scuba diving or have a non-diving spouse that this motel has no swimming pool and is not on or near a beach.
Included some interior photos of the room I stayed in this year. All rooms are the same (half are reversed). Exterior is rather plain and humble but they do have a great balcony surrounding the exterior of all the rooms with a table with coffee and hot water available all the time as well as chairs and table for sitting outside.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank RingAroundTheWorld
Reviewed August 11, 2011

I debated very seriously where to stay in Palau for my vacation and felt that this hotel was going to give me the best value for the money, and having stayed there, I feel that I made the correct choice. The room was spacious and comfortable with a wicker couch and chair and a double bed and an additional single bed. The air conditioner (quite important!) was quite powerful, to the extent that I would turn it off after a while and the room would remain cool all night. I also appreciated having the small refrigerator, into which I put bottled water and several cans of soda that I guzzled quite a bit of. One of the very best features was the large balcony that surrounded the second floor (where all the rooms are). This was a great place to relax and share adventures with the other friendly guests, if you are so inclined (which I was). Also, the service there, from being picked up and then taken back the airport (at all odd hours), from fixing something that maybe needing fixing, to receiving a tray of coffee, to obtaining a rental car or other services, was always great and perfectly helpful. I think you will feel well-cared for.

While I did have a rental car for some of the days I was there which I needed for some of the things I wanted to do, such as visit the island of Babeldoab or treat myself to a dinner buffet at the Palau Pacific Resort, much of what I wanted to do was (for me) within walking distance, and for other things (such as scuba diving or Rock Island tours), the tour operators will pick you up at the hotel, so depending upon what you want to do, you may just not need a rental car at all. The post office is right there on the corner of the main street (where I mailed postcards) and next door is a collector stamp store, where I bought some beautiful souvenir stamps. Also right there is the fire station, police station, and jail building, useful for those who want to look at and maybe buy a Palauan storyboard from the jail gift shop (carved by the prisoners), but while my guidebook said that storyboards at the jail were the least expensive, I found that they were actually the MOST expensive and the cheapest (and best quality) storyboards were found at the gift shop of the Etpison Museum (a museum I loved), to which I also walked (I think it was about a twenty-minute walk, but if that is too far for you, there is a shuttle bus that stops there).

My favorite meal in Palau was at the Taj Indian restaurant, across the main street from that same "post office" corner, and also nearby are many other restaurants. I ordered a beef and rice stir fry lunch from the hamburger "hut" (that is in the architecture of a small Palaun house) right there in that vicinity.

What would have been an "upgrade" for me (but would have probably cost three times as much as The Guest Lodge) would have been a swimming pool, but for people who have been diving all day, or, like me, had been on excursions to the Rock Islands, maybe a pool isn't all that essential. (If you are traveling with children, a pool might be much more important.) I did discover, by the way, a free white sand public beach in the park beneath the large bridge between Koror and Babeldoab, although I did not swim there because it was a very rain-stormy day that day (welcome to Palau!).

Of course, you could have an entirely different trip, one more luxurious by staying at a place like the Palau Pacific Resort ($350, $500 a night?), but if that is what you are looking for, you probably wouldn't be reading this review, anyway.

One bit of advice--if you have scheduled a ride back to the airport at some ungodly time in the early morning (2 AM?), find out what number to call to rouse someone in case the driver oversleeps. The front office will be closed and locked tight. Just for your peace of mind, so that you can get some sound sleeping time prior to your long flight home.

Room Tip: Probably the best rooms are in the front because the balcony there is more spacious and sociable.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
8  Thank thomasdosborneii
Reviewed April 5, 2011

This is a basic motel, but for the price, location and service, it is hard to beat. We flew into Palau at about 11 pm and they were there to pick us up for the 15 minute ride to the motel. The room was large, basic, and worn down, but the linens were clean and everything was in working order. We even got to share our room with a cute 2" gecko. Didn't bother us one bit. We immediately went to bed after the long trip.

Each morning they served us free coffee(tasty) and helped answer every question we could come up with. We walked the block or so to the main street and visited several restaurants and stores. One day we got a taxi ride to a public beach (not very impressive), on another day we took a boat tour (fantastic) and another we rented a car for the day. The motel staff was very helpful in each case.

If you are looking for very basic accommodations at very reasonable rates, I would highly recommend Guest Lodge Motel.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank ejthomp
Reviewed April 2, 2011

If you want a clean, comfortable, affordable hotel with excellent service then you can;t do better than this. Sure, it is a bit shabby, but the rooms are spotlessly clean and the lovely woman who runs the place more than makes up for it. It's a tiny bit off the beaten track but you can still walk easily to restaurants and we walked to Fish n Fins a few times where we were diving. Best of all we had a big terrace where we could sit in the evening and drink beer and watch the rain. And it's cheap so it attracts other young laid-back traveller types. Rooms have A/C, cable TV and a little fridge and there's a laundry room.

Room Tip: You could ask for a room at the front
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends