“Recommended...”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Alofi
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Recommended...”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We have just returned from a lovely stay at Namukulu Cottages. These cottages are spacious, especially the bathroom and the kitchen is well appointed with 2 elements, microwave and a George Forman grill, extra kitchen supplies (glad wrap, cooking oil, vinegar, etc.). The deck has a great view out to sea and was ideal for drinks and watching the sunset. Brian and Theresa are warm friendly hosts who are there to help you with anything you need. We were pleasantly surprised to find the bathroom was serviced daily - a lovely addition.
The complimentary snorkeling masks were the best quality we have come across...no leaks! Well used at nearby Limu pools...and a mountain bike was appreciated by one of us. The pool is a real plus in this climate. Certainly recommend.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank adele98
Namukulu, Owner at Namukulu Cottages & Spa, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
We are certainly glad you enjoyed your stay with us and your time on Niue. Many thanks for the review, and your compliments to us. We hope you will be able to come back to Niue sometime soon and will be able to stay with us. Until then, safe travels.

Brian, Teressa and the Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Reviewed July 11, 2014

HI Brian and Teressa - I've just logged on to rate our stay in Rotorua and couldn't find my review here after our stay back in January so am doing another one as you were both wonderful hosts and your cottages outstanding. We stayed with our son and his girlfreind Nick and Roimata if you remember - Fafene loved Roi lol.....your cottages are in the best spot on the island, we loved the pool and you had the cottage stocked with everything we could want - it was a home away from home. The best swimming spots are on your side of the island which was a bonus and it was so convenient being able to rent our car and scooter and you also had snorkel flippers and masks for guests to use, saves the hassle out of having to go somewhere to hire them.Having a pool there too was fantastic and we made good use of that.We also enjoyed our pizza night when Donna came down - what a great idea and it was also nice to socialise with you 2 on this night.
Roi and I had a wonderful facial and massage on our last day - what a treat and Teressa you were great! The lookout has awesome views particularly in whale watching season.
Our daughter and her boyfriend are coming over for a weeks holiday on July 23rd for her 21st birthday but unfortunately not staying with you as you were fully booked out which doesnt surprise me so they are staying at Anaiiki Motel which Im sure they will love it there.
Nuie really is the best place for a wonderful relaxing holiday. Mark and I are thinking of coming back maybe in September sometime.
Good to see your new cottage finished now - how awesome.
Until we meet again next time .
Regards.....Mark and Sonja Anaki

Room Tip: All cottages will suit families and couples alike.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank S A
Namukulu, Owner at Namukulu Cottages & Spa, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Hi Mark and Sonja

It’s certainly nice hearing back from you, and many thanks for the review. We are so glad the four of you had an enjoyable time when you were here, and we are certain your daughter and her boyfriend will also enjoy their time on the ‘Rock’. Hopefully they can come up for a visit. We would love to have the two of you back again in September but you need to get in soon as September is getting close to being full. Maybe we will see you in September or some other time soon. Say hello to Nick and Roimata for us. Take care, and safe travels.

Brian, Teressa and the Team
Queenstown, New Zealand
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We were visiting Niue but had been unable to get space at Namukulu our first choice of accommodation. However on our visit I put my back out badly and sought massage assistance from Teressa. She immediately arranged a massage which got me going again and made the res of my holiday enjoyable. While at the site my wife and I were shown around the cottages and grounds and were pretty impressed. Excellent views and swimming pool. This is a great value for money location and will be our future choice when we return - as Niue is a great wind down place. Great views and facilities and marvelous hostess. Thank you again Teressa

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Namukulu, Manager at Namukulu Cottages & Spa, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Thank you very much for your kind words. I was just pleased that I could help you out, and hopefully make the rest of your holiday a bit more comfortable.

kind regards, Teressa
alofi
Reviewed May 15, 2014

living on niue and trying to make the wife happy ,its a blessing to have Brian and Theresa around, every year either for a birthday or an anniversary i give the wife a treat for a full massage/ facial at the namukulu cottages, she comes back so happy and relaxed, being in the hospitality business myself i hear only great things about the accommodation and the spa
, if you are a hard working man and want to give the wife a great treat namukulu is the place to show how how much you care...

Room Tip: book early
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank avi r
Namukulu, Owner at Namukulu Cottages & Spa, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Hi Avi

Many thanks for your comments. Receiving feedback from our customers on how much they liked our Day spa facilities is truly appreciated. We are so happy that your Lau enjoyed herself, and we look forward to seeing her soon. Again thanks.
Reviewed May 6, 2014

We enjoyed our stay with Brian and Teressa. At a remote part of a very remote island, our cottage was a peaceful retreat for a very relaxing holiday. The best part of the day came when we would silently watch the sunset over the ocean from the private lookout just 50 metres from our cottage, followed by a dip in the pool nearby and a glass of something on the deck. Looking forward to a return visit.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank John P
Namukulu, Owner at Namukulu Cottages & Spa, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Hi John and Jennifer

Many thanks for your review. We are certainly happy you enjoyed your time on Niue and also had a very relaxing stay with us. After a full day of scuba diving and snorkelling what a great way to relax by sitting by the lookout and watching the sun go down. Thanks for staying with us, and we certainly look forward to your return to Niue in the near future. P.S, thanks for the underwater photos.

Teressa, Brian and the Team
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Brian and Teressa are wonderful people, and I'm really sorry that it's taken me so long to post a review. We stayed at Namukulu Cottages in late Nov 2013. My siblings and cousins took our mum and aunt back to Niue for the first time in 55 years. My aunt had suffered a stroke so we were concerned that the accommodation was able to meet her needs. When I mentioned my aunt's condition to Teressa, instead of just saying that their cottages should be fine, she made a point of telling us the number of steps, and asked if my aunt could cope. She told us of her experience with her own elderly mother who had visited recently which was invaluable. It didn't matter how many questions I asked, and I asked a lot, Teressa always responded promptly and shared so much information. Unfortunately Teressa was not in Niue when we visited, but she was able to join us for a family dinner in Auckland, NZ before she returned home. She was as lovely in person as she had been in her emails. Brian was brilliant. He made our family feel so welcome and every day he was busy keeping the grounds and pool beautiful and clean. There are not many pools in Niue, so having one at Namukulu was an absolute boon, especially for the kids who were 10, 11 & 12. The dogs were very friendly, but Teresa had told us that if any one had concerns, that they would be happy to keep the dogs closer to their home. That said, if you're not a dog person, then Namukulu may not be for you as the dogs are very much a part of the family. The cottages were clean and very comfortable and because they have a separate bedroom were a better option for us compared to some of the motel/hotel rooms available that have the bed, kitchen and lounge all in the same space. While the units are close to one another, they are situated at slightly different angles so there is still privacy. One of the 4 units has 2 bedrooms which was great for my cousin's family of 6. Our extended family of 13 often shared meals there. Namukulu has wonderful views and is only a short drive to the main town of Alofi, and to many of the well known tourist spots. Niue is magical, and the improvement in my aunt's health was a testament to that. We couldn't have picked a more wonderful place to stay for our mum and aunt's return visit, and first visit for my siblings and cousins. The whole experience was so great that my mum, who we had tried unsuccessfully over many years to get to visit, was talking of returning to Niue before we had even left. This was due in no small part to our fantastic stay at Namukulu. Some of our family have already planned a return visit in June 2014. Thank you so much Brian and Teressa for your kindness. We can't wait to join you again :) xoxo

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank nunugirl5
Namukulu, Owner at Namukulu Cottages & Spa, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Hi Lisa and Family

Your family were absolutely fantastic, and we would have all of you back in a minute. It was a sad occasion at the airport for me and I am sure yourselves when you all had to fly out a week later. It was great that your Aunt and Mom enjoyed themselves so much that they want to come back. Everyone was so nice, and one thing that really impressed me was how mature and polite the 3 kids were. Every morning they would all say good morning Brian. Many thanks for your lovely review of Namukulu Cottages & Spa on Trip Advisor, and thanks for the compliments to Teressa and myself. After Teressa met you and your family in Auckland for dinner (thanks again for inviting her), she said to me afterwards how lovely, and how great you all were and was sad that she was unable to be here at the same time you were. We are looking forward to seeing Leroy and Rachel again this coming June, and meeting their two teenage kids and Rachel’s father. We certainly hope the rest of you will be able to come back for another visit to Niue soon. Yes the dogs (or our children) are all part of the experience when staying at Namukulu Cottages & Spa. They all socialise with the guests’ very well, where sometimes the guests want to take Mya and Fafine home with them. We would love to have you back again, and when you do, the pizza night will still be on.

Take care, and thanks again.
Brian, Teressa, Elijah, Hope, Mya, Fafine, and Moresby
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Had a fantastic time in Niue, stayed at Namakulu Cottages where Brian and Teressa were so helpful and friendly. Loved having the gourmet pizzas cooked for us on site and we managed to get Brian to join us. The cottages were very clean with everything you needed, cleaned regularly and the pool was always clear. All our questions were answered and they were so helpful. Had a great time and next time we go back we will be staying at Namakulu Cottages again - can't wait!

Room Tip: We had 6 people so took the end unit - perfect for us.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Namukulu, Owner at Namukulu Cottages & Spa, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Hi Christine & the whole Family

Many thanks for your contribution to Trip Advisor. I absolutely enjoyed the company of your entire family during the week you were here, and it was sad to see you leave. I am so happy all of you had a great time on Niue. It was unfortunate that Teressa was overseas at the time, but when she told me after you left Niue, you invited her for a family BBQ dinner while she was in Auckland, she told me what a great family you are. Teressa thoroughly enjoyed the evening. It was good that you were able to meet up with Teressa, and I thank you for this. Hopefully you and your family will be able come back to Niue in the near future. We would love to have you again, and the pizzas will be waiting for you. Take care, safe travels.

Brian & Teressa, Elijah, Hope, Mya, Fafine, and Moresby.

Been to Namukulu Cottages & Spa? Share your experiences!