“Undiscovered, untouched and unbelievable.... PARADISE” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Scenic Matavai Resort Niue

Scenic Matavai Resort Niue
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Alofi
santa monica
“Undiscovered, untouched and unbelievable.... PARADISE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

I write this review reluctantly as I want to keep this little gem all to myself.

I have travelled a fair amount and to a couple of Pacific Island but NOTHING can describe this untouched paradise. From stepping off the plane to the smiling Matavai staff, to the warm reception from the GM at the meet and greet drinks by the pool bar, I have never felt so welcomed.

The concierge, reception staff and waiters at the restaurant were helpful, personable and quick to share their local hot spots and give me some history about the island.

Being on a small, isolated tropical island isn't for everyone and I think that is the beauty of this place. Chasm's to yourself, friendly locals and limited shopping opportunities.

The smiles and open communication really were a testament to Matavai Resort and the service standard at the resort.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank metoonz
MatavaiGM, General Manager at Scenic Matavai Resort Niue, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Thank you for taking a moment to share your personal experience here with our friendly team. The whole team look forward to seeing you again at Matavai Resort in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Auckland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

This was our first trip to Niue- sold to me by the very believable representative for Niue at the Travel Show in Auckland. All of what he told me was very true and I was happy he swayed me into making a decision when it had only been a thought I had had some time ago. All in all it was a perfect holiday for my husband and I.
Being only 3.5 hours away, this is a quick comfortable flight and you gain one day going there (loose one coming home). The move through the tiny airport is friendly and swift.
We were picked up by Matavai Resort and check in was efficient and quick (you are allocated a table with your registration papers all there waiting to be completed without queuing which is a great idea)
Our bags were quickly delivered to our rooms. Our room was in the older but nicely and recently renovated block- Garden View, and this was just perfect. The bed is super comfy, the pillows good, (2 each which is nice and generous) a spare blanket if needed, a safe, robes, modern flat TV on the wall, IPod docking clock radio, good lighting with plenty and switches and light fittings (plenty of places don't seem to have adequate or sufficient lighting) modern shower/ bathroom and a nice deck with patio furniture on it, with views over the lawn, pool, main restaurant/ lobby block etc.
Our room was reasonably clean -there were however a few cleaning issues that could be improved upon that I mentioned in the Matavai's feedback form attached to the final invoice, which hopefully will be acted upon before our next visit, that weren't very nice but all fixable.

The property has 2 pools, a bigger main pool and a smaller one nearby. When we were there, there had been repairs to the bridge over the pool and the opportunity was taken to drain the main pool and paint this and refill it. It was completed 2 days out from us leaving but it wasn't a problem for me as I prefer the ocean and the weather wasn't lying around the pool weather, so it wasn't a biggy. There is a pool bar but as it was low season, rainy weather and one of the pools closed, this bar wasn't open.
The restaurant was sufficient. The menu/ choice reasonably limited and not cheap but fair. I understand the limitations/ constraints such a place experiences with the isolation/ expense they have and the limits of supply via the monthly ship or weekly plane service.
The kitchen is also happy to cook any fish you might catch on any fishing trips for a small fee, which is appreciated. We caught a Wahoo with Willy and Simon and had a lovely morning fishing with these 2 friendly and knowledgeable guys.
To supplement any meals there is a bakery (10 minute or so drive away) open from 6am until 8am a few days of the week which have great donuts, apple turnovers and different varieties of bread. There is a supermarket in Alofi with lots of snacks/ bits and pieces and you can purchase Duty Free from the Bond Store until Tuesday afternoon (for the Saturday passenger arrivals)
The staff were friendly and so willing to help. I really liked the young girls in the restaurant, so sweet and so willing to help- a big thank you to them !
The front desk staff also friendly and happy to answer any question about anything you have.
The concierge desk friendly, helpful and knowledgeable.
We rented a car through the hotel. This was fine. It was delivered on time and it was a great wee vehicle that got us all over the island and around the island a few times with many trips to town.
The neat thing was driving it to the airport on our departure day and leaving it there, keys and all in the ignition, ready for the rental company to collect it.
A couple of things that could be improved
- a welcome drink on arrival would have been nice (true island style)
- the cleanliness of the room needs a tweak
- would be helpful if the hotel could somehow get the owners of all the restaurants/ bakeries and stores to let them know when they are not open for the week. I know this isn't the resorts fault but good to try and get some communication going with them if this is at all possible
- It was mentioned to myself from another couple of guests that the manager doesn't interact with the guests very much and a smile and a hello would go a long way. I did notice this myself and I know that this is important to a lot of people so would be a good skill to work on.
The hotel does a lot of good things though and I understood the limitations/difficulties they have makes constant supply a real challenge and sometimes impossible. Most people understand this, but some don't and won't and you will always get the complainers unfortunately.
My husband and I overall had a most wonderful week, bad weather and all. This didn't stop us from exploring the sea tracks and being in awe of the fascinating landscape and the beautiful clear ocean pools and wonderful snorkelling. Hikutavake and Avatele was as great snorkelling- if not better than other pacific islands we have been to and the coral life well and abundant even in extremely shallow water (The fresh water showers, flush toilets and changing sheds at these snorkelling / swimming spots is an amazing service and appreciated ++)
Even the couple of thunder and lightning storms we had were incredible and fascinating.
Niue is not for everybody. Its not for the person who is scared of adventure or who want a Sheraton 5 star resort. Its not for the person who wants long sandy golden beaches with easy access. It is not for the person who wants an array of gourmet restaurants to choose from that are open all day and every day. Its not for the person who cannot tolerate the fact that restaurants may not have the meal that is on the menu and there may be some deviations from this. Its not for the person who doesn't tolerate the limitations of such a remote country, or accept that there may be power cuts or the maintenance person has to sort out your hot water a couple of times during your stay. It is for the person who wants to get away from mobile phones (can access it if you really want to) or the person who doesn't care if they are not attached to their computer and the internet (can get this if you want also but not sure of connection speeds or reliability?) It is for the young at heart (not age) and the adventurous person. The person who loves the quiet of this country and not having to say Bula a thousand times but just give a friendly wave to the local as he drives by. It is for the person who is happy to not have to put their makeup on everyday if they don't want to, or wear the same clothing to dinner more than once during your stay. It is for the person who gets a kick out of seeing dolphins playing in the ocean right in front of the resort. It is for the person who understands and accepts that the one and only supermarket won't have everything you want or need. It is for the person who loves easy going friendly people and a country that is not all westernised. It is for people like myself ! I loved it and I will certainly be back- thank you.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank AucklandWiz
Thank you for your informative review. We are pleased to let you know that all our pool renovations are complete and new menus have been launched in the Restaurant and Pool Bar to better suit our challenges around cost and regularity of supply on our tiny remote island. I have spoken to our housekeeping team about your concerns. We look forward to seeing you again some day.
Dunedin, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

My partner and I stayed one week at Matavai Resort. It was our first time in Niue but definitely won't be our last.We fell in love with the island and its people. Matavai staff greeted us at the airport. The resort was clean and beautiful. It took a while to get used to the sound of the roaring sea at night but the view of the ocean and dolphins playing was spectacular. Staff were helpful and showed a genuine interest in our daily activities. Most afternoons were spent cooling off in the pool.Bliss! The pool was cleaned every morning and the grounds were gorgeous. We visited in March which is off season but we loved how quiet the resort was. All staff were friendly and John and Bev had a lot of stories to share. Marie and all reception staff were keen to help us make the most of our time in Niue. We had free breakfast as part of our deal and fresh fruit and toast was a great way to start the day.If I were to make one criticism it would be that the manager (Sarah) never spoke to us or even smiled. When I mentioned this to another guest they had noticed this too. That is the only critism I have.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Cazzstar69
MatavaiGM, General Manager at Scenic Matavai Resort Niue, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Thank you for reviewing Matavai. We are glad you enjoyed your time here with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for what appears to be my lack of direct communication with yourselves. I make a genuine effort to welcome and regularly communicate with every guest at Matavai Resort, Motel and Villa, however with 51 rooms across 2 locations this can sometimes prove somewhat of a challenge. We are all here to ensure our guests have a fantastic holiday, I will therefore keep your comments in mind.
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

Staff who are the perfect balance of friendly and professional. Clean, modern establishment with stunning views of the coast line. The team were always helpful, particularily the concierge who, when my scheduled diving sessions had to be postponed, she helped me plan other activities- she was very knowledgable and gave good advice about my options. Despite being a small island I found there was plenty to do and see, in fact I ran out of time- there were a few things that got left off my list that I will have to go back for. Definately consider two weeks in Niue if you can. The only critique i would have about Matavai is the food selection and food pricing- it's not bad but it could be better, if the pricing was more competitive less of their guests would eat breakfast in their rooms and actually buy from the kitchen.

Room Tip: Room 24 is the best- best view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Deagle769
We certainly appreciate you taking the time to review Matavai, thank you. Needing another week on the island is a common guest comment on departure day, it is a little island but has an incredible range of activities to enjoy and places to visit. I understand your comments with regard to our Restaurant services. While a small population has many benefits for tourists, unfortunately it also limits the access to supplies on the island. We do not have the same selection of market gardens and access to wholesale goods other pacific islands enjoy and as a result most of our products including fruit and vegetables are shipped or flown in from NZ. The bonus is that while we can't offer cheap food, we can offer one of the last untouched islands in the world where you can truly get away from it all and take off on a true adventure enjoying the clean waters, land and air while barely seeing another tourist across the island. We hope to see you back for that 2nd week sometime soon.
Rockdale, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

During my recent first holiday in Niue from 07/02/14 to 21/02/14 I'd often call into the Resort and always made welcome from all staff, ordering a snack & soft drinks after spending a few hours driving around the entire Island, friendly hotel cat, beautiful views especially when filming the sunset. Spoke to many staff members some being local & some from Tuvalu Fiji & Samoa. Called in on Thursday evening on the 13/02/14 to watch the Samoan Fire Dance with a buffet meal, reception staff very helpful with a friendly smile & made so welcome, noticed the larger pool was empty due to renovations. Also called in on Monday evening 17/02/14 to watch the Uga Show with one staff member explaining about the Coconut Crab. The meals were well presented with large portions & not to expensive, credit cards excepted with an extra transaction charge. I never had the chance to view any of the rooms but the grounds looked well maintained & a clean environment. I would just like to make one negative comment through observing the resort especially in the main large lounge area, I was very surprised not to see any ceiling fans anywhere especially with the heat & high humidity ? Overall even though I never stayed at the resort due to financial restraints I would highly recommend that tourists or business people either stay here or at least call in for refreshments & take a look around. Thank you to all the hotel staff for making me so welcome & having many interesting conversations about my past visits to 10 other pacific islands & hope to return one day in the future. The Resort is around 15-20 drive from Alofi.

Room Tip: Look at room before handing over any type of payment & check-out any extra charges for credit-ca...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Stephen N
MatavaiGM, General Manager at Scenic Matavai Resort Niue, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
We are glad you enjoyed your time at the Resort while in Niue, and hope to see you again one day soon.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

Greetings, thanks for taking the time to read this feedback and it is our impression on Niue as a whole and the Matavai Resort. We are a family of 4, mum and dad, 2 girls, 15 and 10 year olds and our reason for picking Niue is that we have travelled to Fiji, Vanuatu, Rarotonga and now fancied somewhere different

Niue, Matavai Resort, like all good holidays they start with getting the basics right so for us the trip to Niue from Christchurch via Auckland was perfect ( thanks Air New Zealand ) On our arrival we were greeted by the local and a quick process through baggage reclaim, immigration out into reception area where passengers are greeted with lots of information and a map ( which proved priceless ), at this point we were also greeted by staff from the Matavai resort and once all the guests were accounted for it was a quick 5 – 10 drive to the resort, our first impression was a clean well kept small resort

The staff were on hand to meet and we were given our room keys, the room given was not what was expected and after a brief discussion we were given an upgrade to an ocean view room. So on comparison, both rooms where well laid out, spacious, clean tidy and very well presented, the only difference we could see was the view, and what a view at sunset it is
The rooms where kept to high standard throughout the week which was good to get back to after the day’s events

Throughout our stay the resort was very well kept and all the staff bar none, were excellent, which for us is a good sign that it is a happy house, and so it proved

The dining at the resort was well presented and the girls and I enjoyed the dinning, my wife who is a “ celiac suffer “ was limited in choice and so had to make an number of compromises, but the staff went out of their way to assist, so if you have any allergies best to let them know in advance

The amenities at the resort are limited, the pools, the restaurant and the room where all that we needed or wanted, there is not spa’s or treatment rooms as these are located on other parts of the island, which we found is great thing as we got to meet and interact with other guest’s

Even under the resort is a large rock pools on the reef which harbours all sort of aquatic life, and if you are feeling adventurous you can swim out over the reef and into deeper water where, most mornings and afternoons a pod of spinner dolphins are casually swimming by ( just watch the tides and we found low tide the best and easiest )

Our time of travel was the end of January early February ( outside the Whale watching season ) and as such was hot, close and probably the height of the fly season, whilst not to bad was enough to bother the family at some points during our stay

Entertainment during our stay was varied and given the limited audience was ok, talking of limited audience, please bear in mind that as there is one flight a week to and from the island, you know that the island will not be swamped with tourist and this added to the beauty and tranquillity of the island, and means that you are truly a selected group of individuals

Getting around the island is a must so for this get a hire car and visit all the walks, caves and chasms you can as they are all fantastic and well worth the walks, ( the given on arrival where spot on ) and if you ever found someone else parked at your chosen spot, just go to the next one, for us our favourite was “Limu” pools…. The sea life was out of this world

Dining, we did eat out at most of the local spots and found some to be very lacking but we put that down to the fact that the island is resupplied every 6 weeks and we were very near the end of the period, probably the best place outside the resort was the “Crazy Uga” however all the people we met where exceptional,

So on review,

Is this for small kids ( 6 and under ) and babies? NO, is this a come and get pampered resort? NO, are there lots of sandy beaches? NO, is this a cheap holiday? NO, is this a fun packed adventurous holiday with theme parks and laid out events etc ? NO

Is this a relaxing holiday? YES, Is there plenty to do? YES, is it safe? Challenging on some but YES, are the locals friendly? YES, is it child friendly? YES, would we go back? YES, apparently it has been voted the friendly place on earth and we can see why

So we really strongly urge you to visit Niue

We are happy to contacted if you have any other questions, so if you have the chance or the choice, make this one of your destinations

Room Tip: Ocean view, for sure
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank wayoutwestnz
Wow! That is one fantastic, informative review. It was fantastic having your lovely smiley family at the resort, we hope to see you again one day soon.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

Thank you to all the happy, friendly staff team at the Matavai Resort for helping to make our stay so wonderful. Having won our holiday we would have been happy with anything, but honestly we couldn't have asked for any better! The room was beautiful, clean and air conditioned with a great view. Breakfast every morning was lovely and the staff were always attentive and happy to please. The grounds, pool and views are fabulous and it really feels like you are in a tropical paradise. The island itself is definitely a hidden gem with the most amazing snorkeling and walking trails and the people are just lovely. The restaurants were all top class. What more can I say, great resort, great island and a great holiday....looking forward to coming back some day soon and would recommend it for anyone who loves a holiday with a difference.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julie A
It was our pleasure to have you to stay here at Matavai. Please do continue to share the word about our remote, hidden gem!