“A great small hotel in Nouméa”
Review of Le Lagon Hotel

Le Lagon Hotel
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Noumea
San Diego, California
“A great small hotel in Nouméa”
Reviewed April 30, 2012

Le Lagon has recently been renovated and is now a small jewel of a hotel with a friendly and helpful staff. The hotel restaurant is open only for breakfast, and there is no bar in the hotel, but an unpretentious and good Italian restaurant, La Dolce Vita, is next door, and several other restaurants and food shops are nearby. The hotel breakfast is excellent, though expensive, but nothing is inexpensive in Nouméa. The rooms at Le Lagon are clean and modern. For any stay longer than one or two nights, it is worth paying extra to get a suite, as the single hotel rooms are not large. Bathrooms are modern, and having a refrigerator and microwave in the suite is handy. Beds are excellent, and the hotel is quiet. Le Lagon is a block away from the lovely beach in the Anse Vata part of town. If you have a free day, I highly recommend the all-day Phare Amedée boat trip on the good ship Mary D to an island 25 km from Nouméa, where a great lunch is served and snorkeling and a reef visit on a glass-bottomed boat are highlights.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Richard S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed for 6 nights over easter 2012. The hotel is clean and modern and the rooms have great facilities - nice modern clean bathroom with good shower pressure, good kitchen facilities and a nice balcony. Really lovely boulangerie and a couple of small supermarkets 50m up the road (with a good range of french wines, cheese and pates as well as fruit and veg) made it really easy to keep eating and drinking expenses down. (Wine is very expensive at restaurants). Reception staff were incredibly helpful and friendly - and managed to understand my very basic french, however most of them spoke english anyway. Nice little pool with sunloungers, however it doesn't get any afternoon sun. My only complaint was the noise from the road - everyone I know would classify me as a fairly heavy sleeper and I'm not woken by much, but I did have trouble sleeping due to traffic noise. The traffic NEVER stops. Rue L'Anse Vata is a very busy road. I'd recommend requesting a room overlooking the pool, otherwise take your ear plugs. Other than that I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool, away from the road.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank soz11
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 17, 2012

My wife and I took a 4 day trip to New Caledonia. We really enjoyed our stay here. we stayed int the suite which was very comfortable. The rooms were well appointed, and having the fridge and microwave in the room was handy.

The location is prefect, back from the main beach road, means it quite, but you are withing short walking distance of all the restaurants and the beach. It's also about 50m from a small corner store with bottle shop.

Le Lagon's staff were all friendly and helpful (even though my wife only speaks a little French).

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dr_abacus
Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed February 21, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Le Lagon for six nights over the New Year period. Although we do not speak French (we tried...), the helpful staff (particularly Rose, Jessica, and Marie) were able to help us and patiently put up with our many requests.

We stayed in room 310 which was a studio with a mini-kitchenette (microwave, fridge, sink and kettle), bathroom with a tub, and a small outside balcony with a table and chairs. The room was on the small side, but well equipped (tv, stereo, wi-fi, desk), tidy, and modern.

The hotel has a nice and comfortable lobby, a spa, pool, and hot tub.

There is a great bakery about 100 metres from the hotel (away from the beach) with many great treats and fresh baguettes. There are many restaurants to choose from within walking distance. We did not eat in the hotel so we can't make any comments (I think it just serves breakfast).

The window in the bathroom was a bit different as other reviews have already mentioned, but as a couple it was not a big deal (just turn off the lights in the bathroom for a bit more privacy); however, if staying with others you are not so familiar, this could be awkward.

We enjoyed our stay a Le Lagon and would consider staying there again.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on the street side on New Year's Eve if you want to get some sleep as the road i...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike & Terri
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 11, 2012

I can't really fault le Lagon. I booked a suite which was very comfortable: good to have a separate living and sleeping area and the kitchenette is well equipped for nights in. There's a supermarket about a kilometre from the hotel for provisions, as well as a couple of smaller stores within a couple of minutes walk.

Staff were friendly - they encouraged me to use my rusty French - and once I took the plunge, that worked to my advantage.

Le lagon is well placed for the narrow beach at l'Anse Vata... If you're looking for pure relaxation, this is the perfect spot.

I booked a transfer from the airport to the hotel on arrival, but didn't see anyone with my name, but quickly resolved after a call to the hotel.

Pleasant small pool and jacuzzi.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank DP72
Sherbrooke, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2012

This was my first stay at the Lagon and the hotel had been referred by a friend. It was not in my opinion all that special for the price. Nice lobby area with beautiful aquarium. Rooms are modern well kept and clean. Air conditioning was functional and access to internet not to complicated. Outside there is a hot tub and pool with a lounge area, we did not have the chance to use as it was raining. Short walking distance to numerous restaurants and beach area.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank coranne67
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 18, 2012

We had no complaints about Le Lagon. The staff were friendly, although the fact that I speak French helped as they didn't speak any English at all. Our room was nice with a quiet balcony where we sat out to have some meals. We were at the back of the hotel in the annexe - much better than overlooking the road. Location was perfect, just a short stroll to the beach, shops, restaurants etc. We walked into the centre of town, but it's probably a bit far for most - about an hour. But we spent most of our time at Anse Vata or Baie des Citrons about 20 minutes walk away - lots of great places to eat and drink. We were there over Christmas and all guests were given a gift from under the tree, which was really thoughtful. Overall it met our expectations and we would certainly recommend the hotel to others.

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Noumea
Hilton Noumea La Promenade Residences
Hotel Beaurivage
Hotel Beaurivage
#7 of 20 in Noumea
Sheraton New Caledonia Deva Resort and Spa

Been to Le Lagon Hotel? Share your experiences!