“Excellent location helpfull staff”
Review of Casa del Sole

Casa del Sole
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Noumea
Reviewed July 14, 2014

I rate this this hotel highly.
It is in a great location near to restaurants and bars .
It is also close to the aquarium attraction and a bus stop for transport
The rooms are big and the views from the balconies are stunning day or night.
I really appreciate the fact that 2 of the hotel staff spoke really good English and this makes things a lot easier if you don't speak fluent French!!

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Williscroft
There are newer reviews for Casa del Sole

Reviewed June 19, 2014

The rooms here were very spacious and had all the modern amenities. The view was very good and the hotel is within walking distance to the beach, and the shops and restaurants around the beach front.

Communication was a bit of an issue though but thankfully there was a staff member that spoke very good English. There is free internet available to guests. The main town center is about a 10 minute drive from the hotel and there are plenty of public transport to get you there should you need it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank ewhippy
Reviewed June 4, 2014

The room it self was clean & spacious with an amazing view over Anse Vata. The service from the staff at reception was terrible though. They were pretty rude & didn't seem to care about their guests comfort at all. They also didn't seem to speak English very well so it was really hard to communicate.
The room was missing a lot of everyday items you would expect to find in an apartment.... (Dishwash, hair dryer, face cloths etc) the toaster broke on the 2nd day.... and when I asked reception for them it was like I was asking for their first born child!!!! It took ages to get these things brought up ( half a day for the toaster even tough I had told them I was using it to make lunch & needed it) if you stay here, just bear in mind that there were no supplies in the room at all...no salt & pepper, coffee, tea, dishwash, shampoo, etc. there was one roll of toilet paper & 1 tiny bar of soap (I was staying for a week)
All the TV channels were in French too... This isn't a compliant, just a heads up.

Also, before I came over I emailed the hotel to see if they did airport pickups & if so what did they need from me. I got a reply saying that they did and all they needed to know was my flight time/ number. When I got to the hotel they then told me I had to pay (I can't remember the cost now, but it wasn't cheap) I wasn't impressed as the front desk guy was pretty rude also.... I had printed the email and showed him that I had not been told there was a fee but he was pretty adamant I had to pay. Meanwhile the shuttle driver who seemingly could not speak English on my 45 min drive from the airport suddenly joined the conversation. I ended up paying (as it was after 10pm, I was tired & I didn't think I would get my room key if I didn't) the hotel manager ended up crediting my bill for this amount & kind of apologising.

It was a pretty below average experience & I really don't think the staff care if you enjoy your stay or not.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Dionne B
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We recently spent 12 days here - having stayed here several times previously.
We find it a perfect place - close to the beach which is sheltered from wind and great for snorkelling and swimming, good choice of restaurants, and their little cafe next door for coffee and groceries.
There are ongoing renovations, and new staff who went out of their way to help, both in politeness and disposition. We would highly recommend the hotel, as apartments they suit us perfectly.

Room Tip: Higher levels have less noise, baie des citrons have sun- drenched verandahs
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2014

There is no point beating around the bush, Casa Del Sole is no luxury hotel! It seems like the hotel was being built as luxury hotel or apartment but they ran out of money and just finished it off on the cheap. The location is excellent and our two bedroom apartment was HUGE with two massive balconies with stunning views over two bays from the 13th floor. The kitchen and living area was large, but the kitchen was not well stocked and no tea or coffee was provided (no cups or glasses, some plates and cutlery) but this might be different in other apartments. The bathroom and second toilet/laundry were nice enough but not well finish (bad lighting, tiles missing) and the whole apartment has a bit of a musty smell. The rooms are not serviced but reception were helpful enough. Despite its flaws, the apartments are in a great location with some great restaurants and attractions close by, and considering we were hardly in our apartment at all, and when we were we sat on the balcony, the apartment was great. I didn't go anywhere near the pool... it wasn't really attached to the apartment and there was a nice beach a short walk away. There was some noise late into the night from the restaurants and clubs down the street, but it wasn't too loud. Personally, I wouldn't stay in Noumea itself for much longer than a few days anyway, as there are much nicer places to see in NC. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the apartments as a great base in Noumea, just don't expect the ritz!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Alice K
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We spent Christmas/New Year at Casa del Sole. A family group, ages 59,60,68 and 21, we chose our New Caledonia holiday because it was the cheapest overseas holiday we could find for 2 weeks over the Christmas/New Year period. Airfares were just $660 return and the add-on for Casa del Sole was very reasonable. We had read all of the Trip Adviser reviews and were very worried before we arrived, by the number that referred to it as being noisy with rowdy nightclubs below..

After our 2 week stay in a 14th floor, 2 bedroom apartment, we couldn't have been happier. This place is out of this world - the best. We have no complaint at all about the noise. We could hear music from the balcony and enjoyed it very much. We couldn't hear it at all with the curtains closed to sleep. We didn't use the air conditioners at all in the main bedroom but my daughter used it in the second bedroom and it was good.

We were happy to wash our towels, etc and used the machine most days. We found a short cycle by turning the knob to see how long each cycle takes (noticed someone else complained about a 3 hour cycle). We did use the drier sometimes but the apartment provided an excellent fold up drier for each balcony and everything dried literally in minutes. It would have been good to have had the apartment serviced after the first week, particularly vacuumed - but I'm not complaining as.I'm sure that this would have happened if we'd have requested this at the reception desk. We just didn't get around to it..

From a review here, we booked our Christmas lunch before we left home, at The Meridien "Le Fare" restaurant as we only arrived in Noumea on Christmas Eve and were worried about what we would be able to do for Christmas meals. We enjoyed a leisurely, light lunch with cocktails, beer and wine as we didn't feel like pigging out on the barbecue buffet (which looked fabulous). Our table was right on the beach and we couldn't have been happier. Thank you to the reviewer who put us onto that.Fete days did not present a problem as most places on the holiday strips were open for business as usual.

We only switched the TV on in our apartment to hear the countdown to midnight on New Years Eve. We watched the fireworks all around from our balcony and after midnight we went down to the Esplanade at Ansa Vata and Baie des Citrons and mingled with the locals. Mainly Kanak crowds of young people, we were very impressed with their dancing on the streets and enjoyment of the celebrations. It was well controlled and orderly at all times.

We spent all of our spare time on our balcony, which faced Baie des Citrons from the front and Ansa Vata from the bedroom balcony (Room 1402 I think it was), and have no complaints about noise. Even though it was Christmas and News Years, we had no noise problems.

This was a fantastic apartment - so spacious. My cousin snores terribly and we moved her single bed into the lounge room. There was so much space that we didn't even notice it there.
The Kitchen equipment was a bit lacking, but we could easily work around it. The biggest supermarket at Port Pleasance is only a 10 minute walk along the Baie de Citron esplanade and around to the marina a bit and we purchased fabulous frozen Escargot in the shells, Coquilles St Jacques in the shells and more cheese than you could imagine. We had 2 other smaller supermarkets closer, "Bikini", which was along the way to Port Pleasance, and another on the Ansa Vata side, just past the Hilton, which was good for Chinese takeaway containers of cut up tropical fruit. The plan was to eat out every second night but we loved our Escargot and fresh salad so much, with fresh baguettes from the foyer cafe every day, that we often just stayed at home after happy hour and played board games and card games on the balcony. Frozen pizzas and frozen moussaka from the supermarket were reasonably priced and made fabulous balcony meals with fresh mixed salads.

The liquor store on the Baie des Citrons esplanade was excellent and we were able to buy very nice bottles of wine around 2000 Francs. Local beer (no. 1) was very reasonably priced and great drinking. The Casa del Sole foyer cafe sold a range of beers and wine as well and we could not fault the prices. As well, the foyer cafe sold beer and wine at times when the supermarkets were unable to sell them (take note of the closing time for beer sales before Public Holidays).

I cannot say enough how much we loved this place. The beach in front is superb and we loved being able to lie around on the grass strip and then dive into the beautiful water. Everything was clean with little obvious rubbish. The snorkelllng was great with as much (or more) colourful coral than I have seen at the Great Barrier Reef in Qld. There was a beautiful array of different fish, eels, etc but no soft corals. It was still beautiful and peaceful and one could happily snorkel out the front of the hotel for hours. We loved swimming out to the pontoons and found the locals to be friendly and helpful.

Every night we enjoyed happy hour, but mainly loved La Barca for cocktails and their half price beers (really, it was double the volume of beer) between 4-7pm. It was balmy sitting out in the open, fabulously comfortable lounges with live music every afternoon and night. We enjoyed chatting to our waitstaff about their adventures. Though everyone mainly spoke French and seemed to appreciate our feeble attempts, they were terrific at changing to English. We tipped every night, because we loved the cocktails so much, but we had the impression that it wasn't necessary or expected.

I could not say enough about how friendly everyone was everywhere, especially at La Barca and also at Casa del Sole. We had 2 gorgeous male receptionists who couldn't do enough for us, but the other reception staff were equally as helpful and friendly. We only had one complaint for the whole 2 weeks, about a noisy air conditioner on the top of the adjoining building, way below our room. There had been workmen working there during the day and that night the noise from it was noticeable. We rang up reception quite late and Jean came up instantly to hear the noise. He was ever so nice but I don't know if he was able to do anything about it but we didn't notice it again during our stay.

We were prepared by packing jigsaw puzzles, books and games, in response to weather forecasts that had predicted 6 days of rain but this did not eventuate. The weather was excellent every single day of our holiday. We paddleboarded at Ansa Vata (huge fun. Recommend first thing in the morning - less wind), did a lot of shopping and window shopping there also and did a day tour to Isle aux Canards. That was fantastic! We hired deck chairs under an umbrella as our base while we snorkelled - colourful and plentiful coral, fish, eels, rays, shark!. The restaurant/cafe over there is casual with lots of well priced takeaways and meals. We meant to do a day trip also from Ansa Vata to Amitee Isle, for the Cultural Show and amazing buffet lunch that they put on, but stupidly left it to the last day - just to discover that it doesn't open on Mondays. Never mind - I'm sure there will be a next time.

The buses run regularly and we could just jump on out the front of Casa del Sole. The Noumea Explorer bus was 500 Francs for a whole day and great value for jump on, jump off at each of the main attractions. We took the Explorer straight to the Tjibaou Cultural Centre and bought a Tourist pass that was great value and gave us 6 months to see a number of museums and the Aquarium. We did most of these, very leisurely, and really enjoyed them all. The Aquarium is fantastique, and just a stone's throw from the apartment. The others were very easy to find with the free maps and the Explorer or local buses. The local buses cost approx 210 (from memory) francs per journey normally, but when cruise ships are in the terminal the return trip is included in that price, to make it easier for tourists to get around I believe.

It was wonderful to holiday in a first world country and have no worries about security. We felt safe wherever we went. The french obviously have a passion for orderliness and we found them extremely honest. I loved that pricing appeared to be uniform at every shop. Even the small supermarkets had the same prices as the big supermarkets so there is no need to pass by the small ones to get better prices. Similarly at the souvenir shops, we found that the same articles were the same price at all locations, whether it be the market stalls at the Cruise Ship terminal or the other main City market or the shops along the beaches. Prices are mostly a little more than similar items in Australia but it is not expensive and worth it for the security of being in a first world country while enjoying being part of a different culture.

You can tell that I am very enthusiastic about New Caledonia and particularly Casa des Sole. The friendliness of the french people and french culture was legendary.

Room Tip: I asked for a room above the 10th floor and was thrilled with ours on the 14th floor. Our 2 bedroom...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Jenny_Warwick_Qld
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Very large apartment, which was fine for four adults and two kids. There was some party noise from the car park until 4am (as mentioned by previous reviewers), on Friday and Saturday nights.
Reception was friendly and fast when Maxim or Matthieu were on duty. Most of the others had little English and it was difficult to find out things if you couldn't ask in French.
One of the two lifts as out of order for most of the week we stayed, so there were some long waits.
It is easily accessible from town - the 10 and 11 bus stop is 20 metres, and the 70 bus about 500 metres. Both of the best beaches in Noumea - Anse Vata and Baie des Citrons - are about 100 metres, as is the Aquarium. The water taxi to Duck Island is about 200 metres. No supermarket nearby, but you can walk to Route Anse Vata and find a small store for the basics. You can buy your morning baguette at the Cafe del Sole cafe and get a simple breakfast.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family