“One of the best restaurants in New Caledonia”
Review of Zanzibar

Zanzibar
Ranked #59 of 224 Restaurants in Noumea
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Koumac, New Caledonia
“One of the best restaurants in New Caledonia”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

"Zanzibar" is our favourite place to eat out when we go to Noumea.
The atmosphere is quite nice with a restaurant divided into different rooms (+ a small balcony) and decorated in the colonial style.
The menu is varied and dishes are inspired by different types of cuisines (from local to Italian and Japanese) The dishes are refined and elaborated.
The wine list is quite interesting as well.
Waiters are attentive without being annoying.
Prices are reasonable considering the quality. (About 10 000 CFP for 2 people)
Smokers might also be interested in the fact that there is a smoking area.

• Visited June 2013

Hobart
“A new experience for the good”
Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

Lovely place if your looking to try something new. The food was very unusual to me, but as a true traveler and tripadvisor I crave for things that make me raise a eyebrow and take my interest. Its hard to discribe the food... Id say it's true to the type of restruant the north african/morocan food. No need for salt and pepper or ketchup here the food is flavorsim. Atmospher is good along with the north african decor inside service was good 1cook and 1waitress did a exeptional job. Well done.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Antarcticsailor
Perth, Western Australia
“Sorry but not a good experience”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

So let me thorugh this out there first. If you read my restaurant reviews I think the lowest ranking I have given is very good. And the reason for this is that we use Tripadvisor ( ranked 7) and Lonely Planet ( recommended) so we really take the risk out of dining while having some sensational experiences.

So I recommend that with the Zanzibar you read the other reviews as they appear all pretty good.
From our travel experience we have never had a Lonely planet recommended restaurant not make the mark until this one.

I am going to be brief. The place itself is interesting and appears clean. The wine list is interesting and offers a number of single glass and half bottle options.

The food for us was uninspiring ( seriously I am no expert) and I am not sure it was fresh ( it was a Monday). For the first time in our dining experience she who must be obeyed returned a dish. The cream in the tiramisu was sour, it was a first thats for sure.

So I am putting this visit behind us, it may have been a bad night and other reviews look pretty good. Hopefully she who must be obeyed does not write a review as I think it will be stronger than this.

• Visited March 2013
Golmud, China
“Charming restaurant..”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

There are so many small restaurants to discover in Nouméa and the Zanzibar is one of those places where we will return.Located at the top of Place Des Cocotiers with a small terrace overlooking the street. Very good food, helpful staff and a very charming atmosphere.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank trishgio
Brisbane
“Wow!”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This was a terrific experience - lovely old building, friendly and capable staff, and just fantastic food - loved it.

Visited July 2012