“"Saved our day in Noumea"”
Review of Au P'tit Cafe

Au P'tit Cafe
Ranked #2 of 230 Restaurants in Noumea
Cuisines: Contemporary, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Restaurant Au P'tit Cafe , located in Noumea, New Caledonia , is pleased to introduce you to the Caledonian Cuisine and Gastronomy . Our facility is open from Tuesday to Friday from 11:30 to 13:30 and from 19h to 21:30 . Au p'tit cafe, you can eat every week a selection of four dishes , made ​​with the utmost care by our Chef David Cano and his team. The principle is to combine the Caledonians products, so they can tell you all their flavors , using cooking techniques from Around the World . All , respecting the environment, because all our products are used in season. Each week is a new challenge for us to be on top of your expectations , and you are always surprised by our kitchen.
Reviewed October 1, 2013

After a disappointing start to the day of missing le betico to the isle of pines (it left 10 minutes early) our day was saved by heading to this fantastic restaurant for lunch. We called ahead to book but there were quite a few available tables. The menu was all in French, but our waitress helped us through. We had the fish, and seafood. We also had half a bottle of lovely French wine.

The food was also reasonably priced which was a nice change for Noumea where everything is about 20% more expensive than you would expect.

Would go again if we had the time. Could not fault it.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

I live in Noumea since a while now and have heard a lot of enthusiastic comments about this place, "top of the world" when it comes to its cuisine. Well, I decided last minute to have lunch over there today. First thing that annoyed me, but that is something I experience in pretty much every restaurant in Noumea, is that sometimes you don't even have the time to sit properly and the waiter is already asking you about your appetizer drink. Can I have a second to sit down and then look at your proposals? Oh, but in Au P'tit Cafe there is no card with drinks.
At first weird concept, but not a bad idea at all, is that this place offers your 4 main courses and 4 desserts only, all written on the slate. Cute and safe play. Unfortunately I do like to have an option of a starter, and I also like to have a small accompaniment with my appetizer drink, and sadly both are absent. Food which we have ordered was tasty and came fairly quickly, although we did wait a bit for a dessert. The mains' portion was huge, but since there is no starter this is understandable.The unfortunate disappointment came from the hair I found in my dish. I have not said anything to the waiter nor the floor manager because as much as it is unacceptable, I know it happens and I wouldn't want a massive scene made about it, unlike some...
Nevertheless, Au P'tit Cafe has a nice ambiance, I do like the idea of open kitchen behind the glass where you can see chefs preparing all the dishes. Kitchen seems small and one could wonder how do they cope, but at the same time the menu is small too so nothing to wonder about, and the food itself is satisfactory considering New Caledonia's capabilities. "Top of the world"? No. Number 1 in Noumea? Well, I'm still looking for it...
Aside the unfortunate "hair" incident, I will tell anyone visiting Noumea to try this place for sure, to have a taste of easy going and tasty local Caledonian cuisine with occasionally some interesting combinations, but have your expectations on the leash not to get too disappointed... it is always safer this way. Otherwise, it is all a matter of personal taste as we all like a different cup of tea.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

There isnt much choice, but this is the real advantage of the place as they do each of their meals so well. We we're so impressed, we went back the next night.
They start with a "free" sampler, while you choose your main. Over the two nights we tried each of the meals and they were all great. I especially enjoyed the tuna, but the boys enjoyed the meat dishes.
Only one of us had pudding on the first night, and said it was great. I'd forgotten about the signature pudding dish... the cheesecake, so we had this the next night. It was good, and you have to have it, but it wasnt as stunning as we thought it would be.
The service was great, efficient and very friendly, even explaining everything in English. And despite booking online the first night, it appeared we wenen't, but they still found room for us.
Excellent

1  Thank NZTraveaux
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Read on TRip Advisor so much about it.limited menu only 5 dish from a blackboard in French but looked great.
Maybe I chose the wrong dish but very disappointing.
Left hungry.
Give it a try
Great atmosphere

Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

You must book as very very busy
But well worth it
Service excellent , food delicious
For little/non French speaking people it was difficult and a little hit and miss!
Two out of four loved the food
Well worth a visit if you can

1  Thank LynneK4