Recommended experiences in and around Noumea
from $24.53
from $113.30
from $33.06
from $108.62
1,302 results
All reviews an umbrella by water taxi ile aux canards duck reef shoes anse vata beach fish deck chairs day trip sun loungers sea lice broken coral underwater trail minute taxi bring your own snorkeling equipment restaurant bar
Selected filters
Reviewed July 28, 2019

Wasn't expecting much from this little island just off the beach by water taxi. But ... don't miss it. Could be the best snorkel you do in New Caledonia. Take yr own snacks and water and hat ... hiring an umbrella or beach hut is exorbitantly expensive. Otherwise it's just the cost of a ten minute water taxi.

1  Thank EmZedVientiane
Reviewed July 22, 2019

We decided to have a quick snorkel across at Duck Island. We took our own snorkeling gear and were straight into the underwater trail. It was pretty good for being so close to Nouméa but unfortunately had a few stingers. Suggest if you go, take something like vinegar or calming lotion! We paid for deck chairs and were happy to have the shade. The taxi boats were pretty regular so didn’t take long to get one back again.

Reviewed July 17, 2019 via mobile

Only 10mins boat ride from Anse Vata this is a really nice way to spend a relaxed day!! I was wayyy underprepared so we only stayed a couple of hours after the boys had snorkelled for a bit. Apparently there was more than enough fish to see as well!! Snorkel set was $16AU for an hour although the attendant let us keep them until we were done as there weren't many people. If I had been better prepared I would have taken a light lunch and some snacks and maybe booked a cabana ahead of time. There is very little shade otherwise on the island. There is an open air restaurant on the island but like other food in Noumea very expensive. There are also public toilets on the island. I would definitely takebhand sanitiser!!

1  Thank moanak2019
Reviewed July 17, 2019

We enjoyed our trip over last Sunday apart from two days later I was almost covered in red welts. Another person said they were close to the shore. It as our third trip to I’ll aux Canard and haven’t had this problem before , except perhaps at Bai de Citron.
If you want clear water go up to Bourail where you can go off Poe Beach to the reef and see great fish and saw one snake .
All food is dear in Noumea so if you are taking a family go to the local Boulangerie first.

1  Thank Trish S
Reviewed July 15, 2019

I (like many here) took the taxi boat over to the island, keen to do some snorkelling.

It wasn’t a hot day so lying on the ‘beach’ wasn’t high on my priorities. Just as well as the beach is a pile of old coral. Not very comfortable. Take flip-flops or reef shoes. It’s also $25 Au to hire a sun lounge. I’m guessing they are way more comfortable than they look at that price. As with most things in New Caledonia, the food and drinks were crazy expensive. Take your own food (that you bought from somewhere else that’s also really expensive) unless you’re not bothered about overpriced, average food.

The water was freezing (to be expected in July) but once underneath the snorkelling was amazing! So many fish. So many varieties. Lots of coral. Well worth the expensive snorkel and mask hire. Actually the whole overpriced, underwhelming experience of everything else about the place faded into insignificance once under the water.

I would strongly recommend getting a stinger suit. The sea lice (if that’s actually what it is) is ferocious. Not so bad when they’re biting but the next few days are an itchy, red-welted nightmare.

If you’re looking for some amazing snorkelling and are happy for a little pile of coral (with absolutely no ducks!) to separate you from your hard-earned and leave you irritated with itch - this is the place for you.