“Lovely Lunch Overlooking Beach”
Review of L'astrolabe - CLOSED

L'astrolabe
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We enjoyed a delicious seafood lunch with a very good French red wine from a menu with plenty of excellent choices. We chose the Scallops Two Ways(delicious), and the Seafood Degustation which was a real feast of cooked & raw delights. A very interesting & yummy dessert was prunes poached in red wine. Yes a little expensive by a nice treat.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Food was delicious I had pasta with duck pate approx. $38, wine $12 a glass. Décor excellent, location excellent, bread $6 chewy, staff pas mal! Downside price and staff, upside food, décor and location :)

Reviewed June 12, 2013

I've just tried this restaurant which seems well known among locals. One thing that stands out about this restaurant is service: very friendly and efficient. The quality of food varies - some seem to recommend their seafood but I disagree - the main plate I tried was the assortment of fish and prawns which lacked flavour. The starter of escargot however was something unlike any similar dish - the the flavour of the sauce had lovely hint of blue cheese. My company tried carpaccio which was light and nice too.

Overall I would not rate this restaurant as the best place to eat in Noumea area but it is one of the places one would not be disappointed.

1  Thank bakayaro
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This restaurant is a gem! We turned up with no booking, and even though were were 15 minutes early (prior to opening time of 7pm), they found us a lovely table and accommodated us. The location is beautiful...located on Bay de Citrons with a view of the bay. It is on the quieter end of Bay de Citrons, which is lovely. The set up and atmosphere is just beautiful. The service amazing and the food to die for. I had a moussaka, which was divine. Not your typical Greek moussaka, in fact better. I cannot possibly describe how it came out, never seen anything like it. I have a Greek heritage and did not really want to eat Greek style food, but I was intrigued to see how it would come out a french colony, where almost all food is French inspired. I was pleasantly surprised. One of the best meals my husband and I have had. Even though we did not speak French, the waiter provided us with an English menu, which was also lovely I thought. The wine and drinks list was quite impressive also. If I ever go back to Noumea, I will most definitely visit this place!

1  Thank Anezoula
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We chose to dine her after the Tripadvisor reviews and were not disappointed. The proprietor, Caroline, made this an enjoyable evening and good dining experience. Her command of English was excellent. The menu was very good with an extensive choice of French and local dishes.The food was beautifully prepared and presented and the food was delicious. The wine list was fair. The ambience and decor were very nice. I cannot recommend this place highly enough. The best place we have eaten in Noumea so far.

1  Thank DB_Woll