“Disappointing”

Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We have eaten here before and left with a good impression however, the last visit left us disappointed in the service, (Forgot to bring the wine, had to ask for menu) the seating (inside a plastic corridor) and the meal which lacked originality and was badly cooked. Hopefully it was an off night for everyone as this is a great place to eat if you are seated in the main restaurant.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

We recently had lunch at Le Roof in Noumea, thoroughly enjoyed the whole dining experience. The meal was out on the balcony, where you can see fish swimming by, you don't get that many places! Service was impeccable, food was perfectly cooked and served and the view was to die for. Would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Noumea, but a tip before you go, make sure you book as you may be disappointed if you just walk up.

Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

We were staying close by at the chateu royal and decided to go here on our first night in noumea. This restaurant is located atop the water. Nice view but the food left much to be desired. Dry main of chicken and overcooked steak. It cost us 13000xpf for two entrees and two mains. Would give this a miss if you are in anse vata

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Let me start this review by stating the fact that I have over 26 years catering experience so I understand what it is like to have your food criticised, therefore I rarely give negative comments unless I am really disappointed.
So let me begin, we (3 in total) recently dined at Le Roof on 5 March 14, the setting is nice and it all seemed fairly organised with what appeared to be a rather stunning lady in charge.
As for the food well that was a completely different story, after deciding what we all wanted to eat (it is noted that the menu consisted of approx 6 fish & 8 meat main course dishes which whilst chatting to my colleagues I mentioned that restaurants with a small refined menu are often fantastic therefore I was ready to be wowed).
Firstly, we were treated to a small taster, which tasted like choux pastry mixed with mashed potato & coriander then oven baked on a skewer (very dry without any seasoning or flavour whatsoever).
One colleague ordered king prawns wrapped in filo pastry & the other some kind of chefs salad, I did not have a starter, as I was looking forward to my main course.
The prawns (wrapped in filo similar to a slim spring roll) arrived in a quaint angular vase type of glass with a small shot of sauce (which was absolutely tasteless so much so it actually tasted of nothing). This was a dish you would expect to see at an all you can eat buffet at a Chinese restaurant and I am being very generous with that comment. The salad by all accounts was ok.
I had ordered a medium rare 350 gram steak (which it stated took 20 mins to cook) I also requested béarnaise sauce, french fries & vegetables of the day, I was flabbergasted when the waiter informed me that they did not have any béarnaise sauce!
I then explained that I was indeed a chef myself & that any chef worth his salt (excuse the pun), especially classically trained French chef in a French restaurant must be able to make béarnaise sauce, as it is basically only egg yolks, white wine vinegar, butter & tarragon! Ironically the waiter agreed and he also said he also prefers béarnaise sauce with his steak!
So in the end I requested butter sauce off the menu of 4 sauces (not sure what this was as there was not a description), one colleague had the same with Roquefort sauce & the other Salmon with Chinese cabbage.
When the steak came & alarm bells rang as the butter sauce? which was in fact 2 rosettes of herb butter placed on top of the steak had not started to melt therefore my initial educated guess was that he steak was not very hot.
The steak was indeed warm (served on a luke warm plate) so much so it never managed to melt the butter completely (which was also completely tasteless), other garnish on the plate was a paint brush smear of some kind of dried brown looking sauce, sprinkled with either pink peppercorns or some kind of berries? and a sprig of rosemary on the steak.
Then the ‘Pièce de résistance’ arrived which was, wait for it, (imaginary trumpet fanfare) supermarket style frozen french fries (complete with black bits) & some odd shaped (large rough diced) boiled courgettes. I was almost speechless; the courgettes were absolutely tasteless (no salt, pepper, clarified butter or any kind of seasoning whatsoever) so much so I only ate a forkful, (it must be noted that one of my favorite veg dishes is indeed the classical french dish of ‘Courgettes à la niçoise’) and after all we were in a french restaurant.
I did manage to eat most of my warm steak (again not seasoned at all) that was quite rare towards the centre that coupled with some jelly like fat did almost put me off. My colleague said he enjoyed his salmon and the other one said his steak was ok. The waiter appeared at some stage & made the fatal mistake of asking me how my meal was, so I relayed the comments above to him and he kind of acknowledged me with a few whispered words. We declined the offer of a sweet and left soon thereafter.
In summary for the price we paid the food was a catastrophic disaster, whether or not it was a bad night in the kitchen, for a french chef that cannot keep a steak hot, make béarnaise sauce, fresh french fries and use some imagination to cook some courgettes its either time to give up, re trade or get some professional training. There are far better restaurants in the area especially one where you get top cook your own steak on a stone slab. I will be returning to New Caledonia later in the year and I can tell you now I will never set foot in La Roof again, not even if you paid me. Avoid at all cost.

3  Thank Roger M
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Before we booked we knew that this would be an expensive night out so we were prepared! what we forgot was that smoking is allowed in restaurants!! We had made a reservation on the deck only to find that we were right in the middle of tables of heavy smokers!!! Women included!!!The waiter was surprised that we wanted to be moved and so we were repositioned right in the middle next to the open view to the water underneath - fabulous!!we spent sometime feeding the fish! The food was average - the service average - but we had a great night.