“My favourite place”

and 1 more site!
Lagoon Breeze Lodge
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Tarawa Atoll
Reviewed January 29, 2013

My favourite place to stay in Tarawa, and I have stayed at a few. It is not a hotel, but a friendly family run guesthouse. Rooms are beautifully clean and well equipped - desk, clothes rack, drying rack and even a swing seat on my balcony! Best part is that the hosts do their best to make your stay comfortable - I commented that I'd love some jam for my toast (that morning there was only vegemite and peanut butter) and the next morning a new jar of jam was waiting for me! Ground coffee and a coffee plunger were also available for us. Good location half way up the airport-Betio road.
Free internet connection!
peaceful
I will be back!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Matt H

Reviewed August 11, 2012

Over the past year a number of small improvements have been made - the front reception is staffed if you need assistance, continental breakfasts offered everyday (larger, cooked breakfast on Sundays) and if ordered the day before, hearty dinners are available (ask for the roast chicken which comes with roast potatoes and fresh vegetables in season, delicious!) Clean towels were provided every day and a small shell vase with flower in the room was a thoughtful touch. Still the number one place to stay when in Tarawa.

Room Tip: Prompt, same day laundry service is available though not advertised (so if in need, ask for it).
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank Abarao
Reviewed March 6, 2012

I lived at Lagoon Breeze Lodge for six months and I had a great experience. I initially considered renting a home from a landlord given the long-term appointment I was filing, however after arriving and spending a few days at LBL I decided that it would be a good fit for the entire duration. I stayed in the full-two-storey-house and it was a great choice for me.

The owners and staff are friendly and helpful with all requests, keeping in mind that Kiribati is a Least-Developed-Country and some things just take awhile to resolve. I would definitely recommend and have done so already for travellers/visitors coming in to the country.

The location is great, because the village is a quiet one (save for the barking dogs at night sometimes). Although it is not near the hubs of Bairiki-Betio and it can take up to 45mins to get in to "town" if travelling by bus. It's a fantastic option if most work/activities will be undertaken in Bikinibeu or that end of the island.

One problem was the rats, which took some time to resolve and resurfaced as a problem later on. The owner/staff tried there best to help, but it's a persistent issue for many places.

Room Tip: Get the house! Or if not possible, the top floor of the other house.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank BB__Sara
Reviewed September 10, 2011

We had a great stay here! Friendly staff and management. Well equiped kitchen, always cleaned by girls if guests leave in a mess.
Rooms cleaned regularly.
Aircon and fridge in rooms.
Small number of rooms, so only a few guests around, great dining area and patio area for relaxing on lounge suite or on swing seats.
Set back from the road, therefore very quiet.
Bed very comfortable.
Free internet wow! Great to be able to be in contact with home from your own room.
Excellent rain water tank for drinking.
Store across the road for basic needs.
Surrounded by large grounds, not close to neighbours.

Room Tip: We were in 3 different rooms as we hadnt booked here, all were adequate for our needs.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Toni M
Reviewed September 4, 2011

After I arrived in Tarawa on Thursday 18/08/11 at the Broniki International Airport from Nadi at approx 08:15am & after going through customs I was greeted by the transfer staff for the LAGOON BREEZE LODGE, after approx 15min's drive to the Lodge & on my arrival I felt that the place looked like the grounds needed a good tidy-up. The photos on the website must have been taken sometime ago & on first impressions on arrival it looked very neglected, a young lady appeared surprised when I turned up even with my confirmed website booking. I was shown to my room upstairs & quoted AUD $66.00 per night when booked, at first I felt the room looked VERY VERY BASIC & I had this gut feeling this place wasn't for me & when I went to look at the views from the window I could smell a very unpleasant odor [like something from a public toilet] and then decided that this was enough for me & took my personal belongings downstairs & informed the young lady I had decided not to stay, the young gentleman asked what was wrong [transfer driver] & I said that I'd prefer to look for alternative accommodation & he kindly gave me a lift to the nearest hotel............ disappointing & thank god I hadn't paid upfront!

Room Tip: Wesites don't always give a true picture of a place!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
14  Thank Stephen N
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Lagoon Breeze Lodge provides free internet service and breakfast. Bread, Milk and cereal are only provided for breakfast only not for lunch or dinner. If Guests bought their own food stuffs, they should take it to their room and put it in their own fridge.Guests are welcome to report to receptionist/ manager anything that may concern them while staying at Lagoon Breeze.

Electricity charges in Kiribati is quite excessive hence, toilet pump and water pump are usually turn off at night to avoid high consumption of electricity. Guests are encouraged to turn off their air-condition while leaving the room. Water is a scarce resource hence guests are kindly requested to turn off their taps and shower probably after usage.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank Patricia J
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We chose Lagoon Breeze as it was off the noisy road and quieter but it's a bit far from facilities like restaurants and the minibusses around the island are death on four wheels. The staff were friendly the place very clean, kitchenette spotless if spartan, breakfast ok but they did run out of bread, milk on regular basis. We bought our own powdered milk, tea bags,coffee and weetbix from shop and they were used up in the breakfast "provided" deal too. When we asked for more milk we were told it had all been drunk and was only for breakfast.. The "lagoon" is a bit grubby and a drain runs down the side of the Lodge which gets smelly. The flush toilets are turned off at night no prior warning given. There is no hot water even in the kitchen. The stove is gas but only a couple of plates work. For the price it is not value. For Kiribati it is still overpriced.

Room Tip: Ask for the self contained cottage
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family