“Airways Hotel-Awards Winning Hotel..!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Airways Hotel

Airways Hotel
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Port Moresby
Singapore, Singapore
“Airways Hotel-Awards Winning Hotel..!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is my first time visit to PNG, stayed 3 nites 18 oct at Airways Hotel was very near to airport, less than 5 minutes. Facing to the sea(not much) and airport but not noisy at all, good view from the 7th floor restaurant for morning and evening, very relax.

They have car standby at the airport, my room come with complimentary limo transfer. Safe hotel with security and guns. Every sunday has live band at 7th breakfast restaurant next to poolside from afternoon till late.Bacchus fine dining restaurant was very good, especially fish was very fresh, good service.

Hotel and room was very clean as they have plenty staffs working around the hotel, and all the staffs was very polite, great and helpful, clean white uniform. Bartender-Joe, manager-Ganish, front desk-Hermant & Dorathy, Bacchus restaurant-Sirek all were very good.

For more picture, refer to agoda website.

Room Tip: choose a room facing to airport and sea view with highfloor. some of the room no view and facing to...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank david_sr0013
Sushil G, General Manager at Airways Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Hello David_SR0013

Thank you for your comments and acknowledgement of staff.
I am pleased to know that you had a great stay with us and experience the facilities and food.
We try and use fresh food as much as possible so the taste real comes through. Next time you have to try our Pizza and some the Italian dishes in our Deli KC. Its outstanding.
Some of staff have been here for a very long time and know all the regular guests. The staff is our greatest asset.
We hope we can see you soon again at the Airways Hotel.

Thank you.

Sushil Gordon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

Overall it is an international standard hotel. Staff are friendly and courteous. Nice restaurant with views, pleasant efficient staff and food good. Overall very good and looking forward to my next stay in mid October - would not stay anywhere else.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank AntoinetteS1104
SushilGordon, General Manager at Airways Hotel, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Hello Antoinettes1104

Thank you for choosing the Airways for your recent visit to Port Moresby and you comments.

Our first Core Value is that we are Customer Focused. Every thing revolves around this value.
I am plesaed to hear that it is evident to our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Airways on your next visit.

Malaga, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel on the way in and out six times this year. The location of the hotel makes it the best choice in Port Moresby, along with the security. The tropical gardens are pleasant and add to the ambiance. The staff are very willing and helpful. However, a number need further training and in fairness may have not been working at the hotel for very long. The menus in 7th floor food outlets need to change and be revised. Each time the same thing is on offer. The breakfast is good, but not outstanding. The view from the 7th floor, over the airport with the hills as a backdrop, is spectacular. On the 7th floor there should be a better bar to stand/sit up and possible strike up a conversation with a fellow guest. As is stands, to my mind, you take a drink at a table alone. The rooms are very clean, beds comfortable, but the furniture is just ordinary. The whole hotel could do with a little facelift to make it look more atractive. For the international traveller their are not sufficient number of TV channels, really the channels on offer are certainly not the best available. This is one area where a big improvement could be made at relatively low cost. The room charges are high for what you get, but I suspect that the prices are driven by the PNG LNG project and lack of competition in Port Moresby. This hotel would not be considered 5 star in the USA or Europe. By most international standards, a 4 star hotel at the maximum.

Room Tip: The more you pay the better the room. You pay your money and make your choice.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MalagaCF
SushilGordon, General Manager at Airways Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Hello MalagaCF

Thank you for making Airways your first choice to stay on POM.

Thank you for your suggestions and comments.
We are in process of refurbishing our restaurant and bar. Some of the lounges and rooms will also see a soft refurb.

As for the prices, you may know that POM hotel prices are generally expensive. I am sure that there are other hotels that are not expensive and you will get get what you pay for.

We are very proud of our service standards as I know our staff bend backwrads to make each guests stay comfortable.

Thank you once again and we hope to see you at Airways on your next visit.

With Regards
northern irealnd
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

Stayed at the Airways for almost 2 weeks whilst on business. I had read reviews of the other hotels and although cheaper, they were not rated as highly as the Airways. For a long stay I wanted comfort and security and Airways provided this. I had originally booked a Bacchus room but was upgraded to one with executive business lounge access which gave me free Wi-Fi plus drinks in the evening between 5pm and 7pm. The room was large and had everything I needed. It was kept very clean throughout my stay.
I had breakfast each day and thought it was excellent with lots of choice and very attentive staff. In the evenings I had a number of meals at the deli and again I thought these were good standard with prices very similar for whatever you wanted. I ate at the restaurant in the evening once - the Indian buffet- which is recommended. I also had one meal at Bacchus restaurant which while very tasty was not really worth the extra cost.
Lovely swimming pool with just enough seats for everyone who wanted to lie out.

The staff were unfailingly helpful - especially the restaurant manager who covered the deli in the evening and the restaurant in the morning quite often. I spoke with the hotel manager a couple of times and observed that he was a very hands on manager ensuring that customers were being looked after and quick to address any problems. I can't recommend it enough!

Room Tip: Probably rooms upstairs are better than those on the ground floor simply due to the staff walking on...
Hello Pillhill

Thank you for choosing Airways Hotel for your 2 week stay and your comments.

I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We try our very best to ensure that our guests have a comfortable exprience. Thank you for all the kind words. Our first core value is looking after our guests and ALL staff follow that. All of us are hands on to listen and adjust when we have to for our guests needs.

I hope we can see you again on your next visit.

Sushil
Darwin, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

Spent 5 nights due to work stop over.

The rooms are quite tidy and well appointed

The security in the hotel compound is excelent. Hotel and restarant staff were well dressed, well spoken, polite, and efficient. The gym is enjoyable to use with the bounus of having a lap pool and squash courts, the pool area next to the restarant, on the 7th level, is also quite nice.

Down side,,, The restarant near the pool area seamed to have a private function every second night, Thus limmiting the choice of meals and seating. The free wifi leaves a lot to be desired, and is only available in some of the hotel lounges. It is not a "cheap" place to stay, so expect some rather suprising high prices for goods and sevices.

All in all an enjoyable experience and will be my choice in PM again.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Sushil G, General Manager at Airways Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Hello Malariamick

Thank you for your comments and praise for the hotel and the staff. The Health and Fitness Club is free for all our inhouse guests.

I apologise that the Poolside restaurant was fully booked by one our guest. Which is not very often and not every second night, I would like it to be. I can recall that night, the same menu was offerd in the other restaurant along with their own menu. Also the Bacchus Restaurant was open too.

The WIFI and free internet is available 24 hours in four of our lounges and 7C area. All rooms are WIFI enabled. Sometimesthe guests have to adjust their settings also when the POM internetr is down then we are helpless.

We are a quality Hotel and have three categories of rooms with three rate bands. It is our guests choice to book whichever one they like. Our rates are very competative and visible on all booking channels and on our website. The food and beverage priees are actually lower than some other hotels and stand alone cafes. I agree with you that Crabtree and Evelyn, Dunhill shop are expensive as they are branded products.

Thank you.
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Ive stayed in Port Moresby on previous occasions and it still beats my why the accommodation is so expensive Airways is a very nice hotel and off course you pay for service and quality - the only bad point I have against this hotel is that I accidently booked a room for a extra night got my dates all wrong due to cancellation of a trip to Rabaul anyway Airways reception staff wernt interested in my mistake and agree it was mine but what I didn't like was that they wouldn't match the original price I had paid on line for the extra night I had to pay for which I thought was pretty poor the only excuse they gave me was that they were fully booked so off course money grabbing at my expensive would I stay here again maybe or maybe not I just wish with all the development going on in Port Moresby that the monopoly was shared around its obvious the hotels are all owned by the same people so there's not much competition between them hoping if a few more hotels open up and give great prices then the over all prices may come down a little

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Hello Oneday64

Thank you for your comments.

Thank you for making the comparison for service and product. When the occupancy is very high we usually sell out our Bacchus rooms. I must say they are very popular also the price is very attractive. We are sometimes lower than the other hotels on some booking channels.

We apologise that you had to pay the next category up. Unfortunatly the occupnacy was high and it is not an excuse. Recently we have experienced high occupancy consistently.

Airways is PNG owned and not a part of any hotel chain. We have operated independendly for the past 26 years for the same owners. I also disagree that there is no competition. I can assure you that there is plenty. There are other cheaper hotels in POM and you can find them on all booking channels.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

Just spent 5 weeks at Airways for work. Yes it is expensive but stacks up well compared to the Grand Papua.

Reservations was a little bit of a lottery and probably the weakest point of the operation. My stay had one end on the cover page, and the correct length of say on the next. However I must say the rooms are very well maintained, service in the rooms is good with an efficient nightly turn down service. The bed was very comfortable I am having trouble getting used to my own bed again.
Staff are extremely friendly, it is only when a passing guest fails to smile you notice how polite and friendly the staff are, they always have a smile.
Wifi in the fountain lounge is slow 5-6.30 while the lounge is in full swing but it is fine most other times and greatly improved since a previous visit in February.
Decor is first rate, it's a little strange there are just 10 television stations, and I gave up on trying to find the complementary DVDs.
For food I liked the KC deli, air con is handy when it gets humid outside. Breakfast is buffet style and very efficiently run. Although the lack of a good toaster lets the place own a bit. Service is generally efficient, and Alice is always on the look out for anything going astray.

Overall the grounds make it a relaxing stay for Port Moresby, with the view of the airport at breakfast quite beautiful.
I would recommend staying here if you need to visit Moresby.

Room Tip: Fountain lounge has sparkling wine, Martinis and nibbles, daily 5-7, wifi is free at the fountain lo...
Hello Frnaknbetty1
Thanks you for your comments and your business.

It is a shame that you stayed with us for so lang and could not get a DVD to watch. The DVDs are available through he butler in the lounges. All our staff are always available to receiev any feedback from our guests. I wish you told us earlier in your stay.

The internet is free 24 hours in all the lounges and also in 7c, we are currently working on other hot spots for our guests. We usually do not get any negetive feedback on our speed of the internet. I have asked our IT department to check and make sure that we get the most possible speed.
I am pleased that you tried the different food outlets in the hotel. I know that we provide a better value when you compare our prices not only to the other hotels but little stand alone cafes in town. I hope you tried our lunch special @k30 in Vue and other specials in Deli KC at very reasonable prices. We promise the best food quality.

Living in POM for 5 weeks you would have seen this yourself.

Thank you once again and hope to see you in Airways very soon and perhaps try Bacchus Restaurant.

Regards