“Airways Improving.....”
Review of Airways Hotel

Airways Hotel
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Port Moresby
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This was my third visit to airways and overall services seem to have improved now. The quality of service in all the restaurants is better, the food is improved wonderfully, the staff at reception has improved ...especially this lovely girl meenakshi with her ever helping approach, sense of urgency and smile has really changed my perception about the reception of airways...as in earlier days it used to be a bit grouchy but not anymore!! However the bacchus wing that i stayed in seemed a bit out of place...you are actually required to walk a long way to get to it while going to or coming from restaurants on the 7th floor. The room otherwise was fine with all the necessities and clean standards. The lounges, while moving up/down through the elevator, look great. Would definitely opt for one of those rooms next time.

Way to go Airways..!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Sushil G, General Manager at Airways Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Hello travel70_13

Thank you for your comments and your business. It is refreshinng to know that our guests are noticing the positive change.

We work hard to ensure that our guests feel special when they stay with us. This is our main objective.

I totally agree that Bacchus wing is a bit far from the 7 floor Vue Restaurant however there is Bacchus restaurant in this wing for guests to enjoy. May be try Bacchus restaurant next time.

Thank you for your compliments!! We are trying our best and now its showing results. I have passed on your comments to Minakshi and she is thrilled to know that she is recognised by you for her good service.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Airways on your next visit.

Sushil

There are newer reviews for Airways Hotel

Reviewed July 18, 2013

It is relible and responsible hotel. Not only the overall services are the highest 5 stars international standard but also the rates are very competitive from what you get from other hotels. I arrived without booking and I tried with the hotel representatives at the exit to find out the cost and the provided services. Only Airways had strait answers and clear level of services and propably the only one who offers 24 hours FREE INTERNET . Not in the room but at the 2nd floor. The proposed by many hotels expensive "internet card" it is a rip off .It expires before you realize it. Check the Internet for rates some times are even lower than at the hotel itself. Recommended.

Room Tip: All rooms are good. Chose thre ones in the main building not in Bacchus wing to be closer.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank BIZAS

Hello BIZAS

Thank you for your comments. I am happy to know that you had a great stay with us on your recent visit to Airways.

As per your comments, our internet hot spots are 24 hours and also free to all our guests regardless to the room categories. Our rates inroom also give you better MB than the others. Sometimes we have packages that include free WIFI internet in your room.

We have three categories of rooms and the Bacchus wing is the original. Lot of our regular guests prefer those rooms as they are much bigger and somehow has private access.

I hope that you will return back to Airways soon.

Sushil

Reviewed July 4, 2013

I was fortunate enough to stay at the Airways hotel in Port Moresby for the week of 24th of Feb. to the 2nd Mar. 2013 on a business trip. I cannot speak highly enough of the staff and the facilities. In fact I was so impressed by the staff and the level of service, I made a point of seeking out the General Manager of the hotel and let him know.
I found the GM accessible at the view restaurant, where I let him know of the wonderful service my colleagues and I had received from Sarto, Lester, Tracey, Joe, Namin, Simon, Timothy, and the rest of the crew from Level 2 in the new wing.
I was lucky enough to grow up in PNG and this was the first time I returned in many years and the Airways hotel was the absolute highlight of my 1 week stay in Moresby.
Both the food and the service at the view restaurant where outstanding, and the breakfast overlooking the air traffic arriving and departing from Jacksons is fascinating and the view beyond the aerodrome of the majestic Owen Stanley’s is breathtaking.
The room I had was near a lounge on floor 2 with a similar view as the View restaurant, and the hotel offers a happy hour or two, in the late afternoon where the staff mix free Martinis and supply Sparkling wine. The sight of the late afternoon sun highlighting the eastern mountain ranges is nothing short of spectacular. On a few occasions during my stay I spotted both past and current PNG Prime Ministers conducting business in the facilities the Airways offers.
My room was large and stylish, with an enormous shower, large screen TV and an extremely comfortable bed. The air-conditioning worked well as did the fan and all the other equipment in the room. Free internet was available in the lounges.
I have been very privileged during my life and traveled a fair amount. I have stayed in many hotels both throughout the Pacific and around the world, the Airways is of truly world class standard, different yes, with an elegant Melanesian style.
Being raised in PNG, I have a good understanding of the culture and I speak tok pisin fluently. I can attest that the staff I met are exceptional and treat their guests with the utmost professionalism and respect.
An example of the level of exceptional service the hotel offers is as follows. Toward the end of my stay, I required the services of a taxi to visit an old friend. Walking toward the main lobby doors I spotted the GM whom I had met earlier at the View restaurant. He said hello and enquired if I was going out. I asked him if he could recommend a reliable Taxi company so that I could use visit my friend and to collect me, and he insisted that one of his hotel drivers should take me and return after my visit to collect me. This was done by Simon the driver and he collected me on time to the minute, in a luxurious limousine and with massive smile on his face!
Twice my colleagues and I dinned at the hotels Bacchus restaurant, and on enquiry with the party of 5 that I dined with, all rated the food above 8 out of ten, and the service higher.
The DC3 on level 6 is accessible, and has an executive office built inside it, Blair another wonderful staff member opened up the aircraft / executive offices for me to have look around in.
My only small criticism of my entire stay would be the access door to the lounge on floor 2 was near my room (2018) and during the night it was a little noisy, opening and closing.
There is no doubt that Airways is an exceptional hotel, the service is second to none, and in my opinion many other hotels in Australia and Europe could learn a great deal from the standards the Airways and its staff offer. The security is first class, which is very extremely important in Moresby. From reading a blurb in the hotel room I understand that the hotel employs over 500 staff, and this really does help to explain why the customer service at Airways is so fantastic and everything runs so smoothly.
I hope to be fortunate enough visit PNG again and to stay at the Airways.

Room Tip: If you can, get a room overlooking the airport, the view of the ranges is spectacular, and with the...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank photoscout
Sushil G, General Manager at Airways Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Hello Photoscout

Thank you for your detailed comments on our service and facilities.
Thank you recognising the staff who provided you with good service. I have shared your comments with them.

Our aim is make all our guests welcome and make them feel special. Nothing is too much trouble.

Thank you for pointing out the noisy doors. We have now fixed them.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Airways on your next visit.

With Best Regards

Reviewed June 22, 2013

I only stayed one night in the Airways and would gladly return. The hotel is safe, clean, modern and quiet.

Service was excellent all round; no issues here.

Food: I dined in the Bacchus Restaurant for dinner which was nice but service was a bit slow (will review separately). I found the poolside restaurant the next morning for breakfast and had buyer’s remorse from the previous night: I should have gone there for a pizza instead! The restaurant looks out over the POM airfield so the plane spotters will enjoy the show. I had breakfast around 8.30am and the morning show was an Antonov 124 taking off (apparently it’s a daily occurrence).

As mentioned above, I would gladly return to the Airways – give it a go.

PNG Tip: when departing Port Moresby from the Domestic Terminal, turn left instead of turning right from the security/metal detector because there is a new air-conditioned waiting area on the road side of the airport (as opposed to the humid older waiting area on the airstrip side).

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank WeekendHussler
Sushil G, General Manager at Airways Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Thank you weekendhussler for your business and your comments.
I am also happy to know that we will soon see you back at the Airways.
We have three main restaurants that our guests can choose from. I must say the Pizza is the number one choice of our guests. Everything- dough, sauce etc is made in house and we only use good quality products as toppings. Please try our new sensation STUFFED CRUST pizza (we call them flat breads) with a combination of cheeses. Its super delicious.

Please let me know when you arrive, the Pizza and a glass of wine will be with our best compliments.

Looking forward for your next visit.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Airways Hotel is just 5 minutes from the airport. Since most tourist travel focuses on the interior of PNG, Port Moresby is just a start/stop point. There is a competitor downtown, but the city is not great so location at airport is better. The view, even with the airport included is great but the rooms with a view are way overpriced. We were stuck with rooms overlooking a parking lot. The rooms are clean/utilitarian. The staff is terrific. Because of security concerns there are armed guards everywhere, which was fine with us. The whole property is fenced and gated - also reassuring. To access parts of the hotel you must use your room key which is fine but they don't always work. The rooftop restaurant has a great view and moderately good food if a sterile cuisine. Don't go to this hotel as a destination, just a jumping off point.

Room Tip: ask for room upgrade to a view room and hope you get a fair rate
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank beentheretooo
Sushil G, General Manager at Airways Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Hello beentheretooo

Thank you for your comments.

I am plaesed that you enjoyed your stay with us apart form the keys that did not work sometimes and the food style that was not to your staisfaction.

We have 3 restaurant with different cuisines, International buffet, Italian Deli KC and modern cuisine. I think that we satisfy most of our guests needs.

The security is 24 hours backed by CCTV and run by Internationally trained professionals.

We hope to see you on your next visit.

Regards

Reviewed June 16, 2013

We had been warned port moresby hotels were expensive and the Airways was at the top end indeed but we picked it given the proximity to the airport. We stayed in the side wings, the 'cheaper' rooms at a whopping 990kina per night, yet we got a special offer which ncluded dinner and breakfast and 'upgrade to the suite'. Wasn't really a suite by European standards but was clean and comfortable.. Dinner (buffet) was surprisingly good and the viw from the restaurant is pretty amazing with the mountain ridges the aiport and the Dakota hanging in between. Breakfast was great too, and the pool is very nice if a little 'exposed': anyone walking to and from the restaurants has a full view so it's a bit weird getting into a swim suit. The design of the common areas is really stunning with great airplane design features. Wifi is expensive however the nice cafe on the ground floor has it too and it's free (and the coffe is. Great). High security makes you feel safe if a little 'imprisoned'. Good shuttle service from the airport, three minutes away. Shame the non Papuan staff at reception are so sulky, verging on rude.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheDivingFoodie
Sushil G, General Manager at Airways Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Hello TheDivingFoodie

Thank you for your comments.
Firstly my apologies for the reception staff. Let me assure you that it is not the norm and we receieve many guest comments for our warmth and friendliness. I have already shared your commnets with the team.
Our room rates are very competetive as you may see on the tripadvisor and also on our website including some of the packages.
I am pleased to know that you enjoyed the food and views from our Vue Restaurant. Some days the views are breathtaking with mist covered Owen Stanley Ranges.
Thank you once again and we look forward to seeing you at the Airways on your next visit.

With Regards

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Missed my connecting flight due to delays but staying here all made up for that.

I stayed in the Dakota Wing and loved the comfy bed, spacious room and great shower.

Dinner was great - bit on the expensive side but very yummy and loved my Dry Martini during happy hour (2 hours!)

The staff were very attentive and looked after me. Upon check out I have been given the use of the lounge while I wait for my trip back into the chaos of the airport.

Next time i am here a massage and pamper session is on the cards.

I also have to mention that I have stayed at the Grand Papua and Airways is so much more comfortable and so secure.

Many thanks to the team here.

Room Tip: Dakota Suite was massive - could have had a dance floor in the middle of my room :)
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Hello PinkSkippy

Thank you for your comments Airways rooms and other facilities.

I am very pleased that you had a comfortable stop over and the team looked after you well. Our motto is to make all our guests feel comfortable and special in every way that we can. Nothing is too much trouble.

Thank you for pointing out the price for the dinner buffet. I will review it.

I have to say that you must try our Spa "Bliss". Words do not do justice. Its is just wonderful. You feel good when you walk in and feel refreshed and relaxed when you walk out. We have just won the Best Hotel Spa Award.

We would welcome the opportunity to welcome you back to the Airways on your next visit.

With Regards