“Poolside Restuarant - Lovely ambience but problem with contact number”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Airways Hotel

Airways Hotel
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Port Moresby
Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
“Poolside Restuarant - Lovely ambience but problem with contact number”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

I live in Port Moresby and we enjoy eating at the poolside and deli resturant. However, whenever I go to book I get extremely frustrated because there is no easy way to look up the hotel contact number on the internet. Airways webpage only has email contact. Unfortunately local phone books always go missing. I did save the phone number but lost details when my phone was stolen (not at Airways!).

I wonder if guests wanting to stay from PNG or overseas experience frustration as well when they don't have easy access to a phone number so they can talk to someone direct. A direct link to your restuarnat contact numbers would be great.

Anyway, apart from that, we enjoy dining at Airways - clean, safe and good food.

Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Sushil G, General Manager at Airways Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2012
Hello NC

Thank you for your comments and I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and meals at the Poolside VUE restaurant. and took the time to write the feedback.

Thank you for pointing out the phone number. I will have our IT team look at it as a priority.

Please call me directly for your next booking or anything else. I am available on this number any time. 7281 3635.

I look forward to welcoming you back at the Airways.

With Best Regards
Sushil Gordon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Indonesian first
Mount Maunganui, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

I stayed at the end of a business trip to PNG and was very pleasantly surprised by the hotel after seeing the rest of Port Moresby, so it was a real treat to be welcomed to the hotel, advised of the champagne tasting and to enter my air conditioned luxurious room.

Who wouldn't be able to relax here? Gorgeous room, with great lounge suite I could chill out on and catch up on some work. The bathroom was also great and I relaxed in the bath whilst watching TV. Oh and the sleep I eventually had when I got back to the hotel was brilliant. How do they keep it so quiet right at the airport?

The staff in the restaurant on the roof were so helpful to find me a table to meet my friends to have a nightcap even though there was a confernce keeping them busy at the same time, and I just loved my stay. I wish we could take some of the staff home to treat our guests the same way I was treated. Such a fantastic, although brief stay, I am recomending everyone to stay.
I think the room was a Dakota King room.= abd U hope the next time I visit I can stay here.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Sushil G, General Manager at Airways Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2012
Dear BayviewHotel
Please accept my sincere apologies for not responding to your comments any earlier. To be honest, I think I missed it somehow.
Thank you for the wonderful write up for Airways Hotel. More importantly, I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us eventhough your schedule was hectic as you say.
Our four 24 Hour lounges are attended by our butlers and serve Champagne, Port, Sherry and Champagne along with breakfast, all day snacks and Martini Hour in the evenings.
We train our staff on an ongoing basis to ensure that our guests get looked after better during their stay with us. Matter of fact this is one of our core value.
Please send me an email and I promise we will upgrade you to our most luxurious Dakota Suite with no extra charge so you can relax more this time and really pamper yourself.

Thank you once again!

Sushil
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times mainly because my employer chooses to put us there. My summary based on around 4-5 stays here over around 12 months or so:
a. Grossly overpriced
b. food is average on the best day and rubbish on the worst day. Menu rarely changes.
c. Internet charges are hilariously expensive
d. Last time they gave my room away despite a booking being made, took them forever to find me another room which was woeful
e. if you plan to do any laundry at this hotel be prepared for a shock when you see the cost. You could buy new clothes for what they charge for washing

I am a slow learner but I won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: Stay away from the carpark...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Kosta100
Sushil G, General Manager at Airways Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Dear Kosta 100

Thank you for your business over last 12 months and your feedback on your recent stay.
I offer my apologies for the inconvenience for the wait while we found another room for you. We have different room rates for our three different wings based on the level of inclusions like 24 hour butler service, complimentary ironing, shoe polishing, laundry,light breakfast with Champagne, light lunch, Martini hour from 5pm to 7 pm with hot & cold canapes and all day Coffee and Tea with fresh fruits, homemade cookies and Iced tea and access to our health club.
We have recently changed our menus in Bacchus Restaurant, Deli KC, Vue Restaurant ala carte and Buffet. Daily specials change daily for lunch and dinner.
Internet is expensive in PNG I agree.
We believe our prices for the laundry are reasonable.
All of our rooms have natural lights and most also have balconies. I must admit that only few rooms on the ground floor window do face the car park and the hedges and greenery is kept well to minimise the effect.
Once again my apologies for the inconvenience.
I would sincerely like you to return to the Airways to see the changes that we have made.
We look forward to seeing you at the Airways soon.

Very Best Regrads
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

Hotel quoted 3 room rates for a 12 day stay, each rate 1/3 higher than previous rate. Overpriced and overrated facility. Rooms look good but impractical and uncomfortable. TV and seating too far apart. You have to pay for internet service by purchasing cards at business centre. BEWARE removal of cards by staff!!! A 50 usd Internat card was removed from room, and I was advised I had lost it/Mis-placed the card. Unfortunately (3) others also 'lost' their cards....hotel blamed customer, then would look into it....then would email resolution....NOTHING done. Cards removed from several rooms indicates problems. LOCK EVERTHING UP!!!!
Room was damp.
Disappointing is understatement, will NEVER return to that hotel again.

Room Tip: Watch for price gouging. Rooms to airfield better than to rockface and buildings at back
4 Thank B W
Sushil G, General Manager at Airways Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2012
Hello B W

Thank you for your feedback and my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by the loss of your internet card.
We have three wings in the hotel, Bacchus, Fountain and Dakota Wing, all three have different rates based on different configrations and services available to those type of rooms. The rooms are professionally designed for comfort of our guests including the televisons. I am sorry to hear that it was not to your personal preference.
I am very disappointed that our team members didnot replace your card. I would like to mention that we advise and recommend that all guests lock their valuables in the safe that is provided in all rooms like most other hotels.
Internet is usually very expensive in PNG. Saying that we are working on couple of options to increase MBs per Kina spent.
PS: We still have an IPHONE 4 in our lost and found department that was left behind by one of the other 3 guests. It was turned in by our housekeeping staff while cleaning the room after check out.

I would very much like you to return to Airways Hotel when you are in Port Moresby and we will replace your card for the same value.

Once again thank you for your commnets and my sincere apologies.

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2011

This was the last hotel on my trip in country. Was looking forward to a bit of luxury. Was I every disappointed, the service was crap in all areas. Dinner in the restaurant took 45 minutes to arrow and it was only a samon steak. They couldn't blame this on work load because the place was only a third full.

The security was so over the top as to be oppressive. This place makes you. feel like you are in a cage.

• Stayed July 2011
5 Thank Gollum4242
Hello Gullum4242
Thank you for your feedback.
Please accept my sincere apologies. It is rather diappointing to learn that you did not enjoy your stay with on your last visit to Airways.
We feel that the security for all are guests is very important. and we would very much like like our guests to feel secure while staying with us and enjoy their stay.

Just to prove that we care strongly about our guests, we are pleased to offer your next stay fully complimentary when you return to PNG and to Airways!!
Once again my apologies and we hope to see you soon.

England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2011

Fitted out with bits of airplanes this place has a good atmosphere, drinks around the pool at dusk was a highlight as the hotel has a good view. Food including breakfast was good, beer cold, staff very friendly. Staying anywhere in PNG is very expensive but this place is worth a little extra. The only slight downside was that when a colleague arrived we switched to save money to a flat down the road but inside the hotel complex. Basic, creaky, dirty and poorly equipped. Big mistake, stay in the hotel!

If you are interested in the handicrafts being sold in the hotel and are brave enough to venture outside you'll save 95%. But it's your call/ life

Room Tip: Avoid the appartments
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Dear UKBoyDKGirl

Thank you for your kind compliments and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Airways Hotel on your recent visit. Its always nice to hear positive feedback from our happy guests.

We make every effort to ensure that our guests have a memoriable stay with us. I have shared your comments with the team and they are pleased to know that their effort has been recognised.

Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back at the Airways Hotel in the very near future.

With Very Best Regards
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2011

Hotels in Port Morebsy are very expensive but often very poor value for money. In the case of Airways, you really do get what you pay for. The room (or suite, to be more precise) was beautifully appointed (even with its own nespresso machine), the service (inlcuding 'butler') was attentive and the hotel wifi worked well (much better than the dongle I had purchased).
I was working a lot so used room-service quite a bit. Either way the food in the hotel was very good- I particularly like the Deli next to the pool (great coffee) and in fact that is where they make sandwiches ordered by room service.
I did find time for a few visits to the amazing 'gym' however.
If I had a quibble it was that it was hard to get transport in the evening. It's a pity the hotel don't assist with this as taxis can be unreliable, especially after hours.
Overall, a hassle-free way to experience Port Moresby.

1 Thank ulyssesonline
Hello Ulyssesonline

Thank you for your kind comments and I am very pleased to know that you had a memoriable stay with us. I am happy to know that you enjoyed our food and in particular our KC Deli Coffee. We use PNG's finest Coffee and our staff is trained periodically by professional Baristas to ensure good quality brew. PS: Try our 7C cafe's coffee too next time as we do it differently there.
I appreciate that you commented on our Health and Raquet Club, which has state of the art equipment and spectacular views while working out. The pool hangs half way in the space!!
We only use reputable Taxi company to ensure the safety of our guests and have no control over their time of arrival however our guests can use our hotel Mini Vans and VIP cars for Airport pick up and drop off and sometimes a drop off to the town.
Please give us an opportunity next time to arrange our hotel car for your city drop off with our compliments.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon at the Airways!