“Friendly and helpful staff,great environment to stay for business or pleasure”

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Port Moresby
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I recently stayed a week at the Gateway Hotel and Apartments on business.The GM Matt Cooper, Brent and all the staff went out of their way to make sure my stay was enjoyable.The room was clean and nicely furnished. The pool area was a great place to unwind at the end of a day. Thanks again Gateway for making my stay a great experience.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Amazingchanty
CoralSeaHotels, Group Sales & Marketing Manager at Gateway Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at Gateway Hotel & Apartments.

Great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and had the opportunity to enjoy the facilities. We look forward to welcoming you again, hopefully in the near future.

Regards

There are newer reviews for Gateway Hotel & Apartments

Reviewed May 5, 2013

as for me I can say-no experience with broken A/C in apartment unit. Staff are friendly, but everybody has to bear in mind that this is 3rd world country and therefore you can expect some misunderstandings even though staff here are trained (second problem is fluctuation of employees in PNG itself-one day they will work just fine and then they will not show up at work for a week without any excuses.
Food is generally good but c`mon 70 kina for buffet and rates almost similar as Airways-which is way higher quality (either food or accommodation)
Management is very friendly and approachable with any kind of request (fe. gym equipment,ideas how to improve hotel etc)
So basically I would suggest hotel management to lower the rates little bit as there is no way you will be direct competition for Airways, unless you build brand new hotel....

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank michal250

Dear Michal250,
Thank you for taking time to share your observations; they will assist us moving forward, we strive to continuously improve the quality of or our product and service. It was pleasing to read that you find the management team approachable and receptive. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Gateway Hotel & Apartments in the near future.

Regards
Staff & Management

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Ok, so I booked into the hotel that afternoon, after waiting for an hour as the reception and service was very slow. The reception staff gave the impression that they did not want to be there and had better things to do. My room was ok except for the air-con wasn't working. At around 2am I was woken up by the noise of five drunk men sitting outside my ground floor verandah. I don't know how they got there but this terrified me!!! I called security but they were not on service. After waiting an horendous 4 hours and scared to death, I was more than thrilled to check out and never again step foot in Gateway again!!!
Warning: This hotel is not recommended to expatriats!!!!
Unless you are willing to face what I did. I highly recommend Airways Hotel and Grand Papua. These are the hotels in which I now go to and they are accomodating! The fees are higher than Gateway but it is worth it in terms of safety!

Room Tip: Do not even bother booking!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
GatewayPOM, General Manager at Gateway Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Dear Madam,

Thank you for this immediate feedback that will be investigated. During the night hours the hotel has a Senior Night Manager as well as a large team of security guards both in-house and contract who should patrol and monitor all areas of the hotel property. This would appear to have lapsed on Saturday evening for which there is no excuse.

Please be assured that we will follow this feedback up and find out why appropriate action was not taken during that evening when you registered your concerns about late night noise. Such behavious by guests distrubing other guests should not be tolerated at any time of the day, certainly not the early hours of the morning.

Again, thank you for your promt response which makes it certainly easier to follow up.

Regards,

Matthew Cooper

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Dreadful...On checking was given a key card for a room with an ineffective temporary A/C (cooler on balcony than in!), back down to reception for another room and was given a key card that wasn't programmed for the 2nd. room, housemaid opened door with her master to reveal a room with NO A/C! Back to reception to try a third room, which had other issues...partial A/C, no shower screen, TV remote u/s, no glasses, bulbs blown! Gave up and "acclimated"!! :-(

While in the pool noted a lad had his Kokoda trek ruined by a serious cut to the foot from one of the many chipped or missing pool tiles (despatch straight back to Oz).

Look, I know this is PNG running on PNG time but this hotel is way overpriced (room, food and drinks) with a maintenance program that is way behind. It urgently needs an overhaul to live up to it's A$300++ tariff

Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Dear Brendon,
Please allow me to take this opportunity to again apologise for the inconvenience you experienced during your recent stay with us. We are undergoing refurbishment of rooms presently, which includes the full upgrading and installation of new air-conditioning units. Unfortunately this has caused some confusion within our team of enthusiastic staff as to which rooms are available for guest use especially during periods of high occupancy and with group movement.
Our tariffs are in line with what is available within Port Moresby, for which we provide a variety of facilities and services that some of our competitors are not able to. We are undergoing a period of change, your feedback will assist our management team to improve our services and highlights areas where addition training is required.
We take Guest and Staff safety seriously, work on the pool offending pool tile was completed immediately and prior to your return stay, further cosmetic tiling has commenced.
Your experience does not reflect the level of service we strive to ensure each and every guest receives. The group you travelled with are always a pleasure to host at the hotel as we have done so for many years, we look forward to that continued relationship into the future.
Once again, thank you for your feedback, it will be used in our ongoing staff training sessions.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

This hotel is probably gives even less value for money than your average Port Moresby hotel, which, pound for pound have to be some of the most expensive hotels in the world.
Where else in the world would they give you a room with broken air conditioning and a portable unit to replace it that leaks water all over the floor and means that you can't lock the room since it has to have a bloody great duct going outside, and still think charging US$280 a night is OK?
I could probably cope with not having a remote for the TV and the water supply failing, but the diaorherra from the $70 buffett made that a little more than I could take.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel. The good news is Port Moresby is about to suffer a glut of hotel rooms as new h...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Trevtassie

Dear Trev,

Thank you for providing feedback on your last stay at Gateway Hotel & Apartments. We would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused during your stay with regard to air conditioning. During the time of your stay we were in the midst of a significant refurbishment program involving the removal of old air-conditioning units and installation of new units. There is no excuse for the level of you experienced during your stay, should the opportunity arise to welcome you back to Gateway Hotel and Apartments, we would welcome the opportunity to provide you with the friendly and professional service we strive to provide for each and every guest.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I have stayed at the Gateway Hotel many times over the past several years (fortnightly roster for 6 months in 2011 and also for the past several months) and found it to be quite pleasant. It's my experience that things don't always go as planned in PNG however I feel that if you're are polite then the majority of the staff is willing to help to the best of their ability. The grounds are nicely kept, the pools are lovely and the gym is sufficient.

Room Tip: If they're available then request the new executive rooms... They are very nice!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Sir,

Thank you for making the time to provide feedback to theGateway Hotel & Apartments on your recent stay, please accept my apologizes for the delay in correspondence to you.

The managment and staff of the Gateway Hotel and Apartments are working towards developing an number of aspects of our service to improve the guest experience, we will certainly be using your feedback as part of this ongoing training.

As well as complting an upgrade of all the hotels air conditioning system we have also completed the ongoing upgrade of gym equipment.

Again, thank you for the feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

DO NOT stay at this hotel if you are a female Travelling alone or with another female! To cut a long story short, my friend and I awoke (1:30am) to find the Hotel 'Security' Guard in our room! After removing him from the room, we had a fun hour or so trying to keep him away from our room door as he was persistent in trying to get back in! As it turned out he had been in our room once before and was found with all of my money and Passport! Thank goodness for the Kokoda group leader we were with, who came to our rescue... Without him, we really do not know what we would have done. Hotel staff and management did nothing to assist or to apologise for this terrifying experience!

• Stayed: October 2012
5  Thank EmmyCastro
GatewayPOM, General Manager at Gateway Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Good afternoon Emmy,

As the General Manager of the Gateway Hotel I was most purturbed to read your recent post on the 18th December relating to your stay at the Gateway Hotel and Apartments. I was made aware of this incident first thing that very morning and using statements from staff we conducted a thorough investigation of which your tour leader (named) was made well aware of our progress.

This incident was a shock to all staff and managment of the hotel. In this case the staff member was detained, interviewed, terminated and then handed over to the police to be charged. Your tour leader was made aware of these facts also on his return stay at the hotel. Emmy, please also note that I had requested through the tour leader to meet with yourself and the person you were staying with to personally apologise prior to your departure as well as reassure you that the person in question was no longer on site. This was the following morning when you were having breakfast. Unfortunately, this did not eventuate for some reason.

The hotel takes most seriously the safety and security of our guests. In this case we conducted an electronic lock audit and found that no key card was used to enter your room. The guard claims in his statement that the hotel room door was left ajar and he entered the room. There are three ways to safely secure your room door - one is to correctly close it ensuring the door latch is in place, secondly there is the safety bolt or chain lock, in this case it was not used, thirdly there is a privacy lock, which was also not engaged. I would have been sure your tour guides would have gone through the safety principles with you on your arrival or at your group briefing.

I must stress however while the hotel works tirelessly to recruit and train appropriate staff, it is diffucult to control behavior when temptation is presented to them, in this case a hotel room door that was left ajar. For the most part, Papua New Guineans are very proud people and the behaviour of one bad staff member caused much shame to many who work so hard to secure a future for themselves and their families.

To follow up on this matter, please be assured we have since tried to reach your tour leader to discuss this matter with him further. (Which we have done for the past 14 days prior to responding to this without success).

Emmy, I can only again apologise for this unfortunate situation having occurred and for any fear it caused you. I am also sorry you feel that management did not respond, however we were working to investigate the matter quickly and efficiently the following morning. I can assure you that this was an isolated incident and one that I have not encountered during my several years in Papua New Guinea.

Regards,