“OK and not fabulous” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Port Moresby
Adelaide, Australia
“OK and not fabulous”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

Was booked into the hotel by employer with three other colleagues for 10 days. Experience was patchy. It is undergoing a rebuild so it is sort if like staying in a building site. The rooms are clean and beds are comfy. None of us had hot water in our rooms in the mornings and aircons did not always work. The restaurant food is bearable but uninteresting and two of us got a bad tummy from eating there. Internet is expensive and considering the price of the rooms they could consider free wireless for customers. Staff are kind and pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jam1150
TimP2013, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port Moresby, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Dear jam1150,

Thanks for providing some feedback from you recent stay with us. I acknowledge your comments regarding the property being a construction site. We will soon open 86 new Suites and a 200 room Holiday Inn Express as well as the outdoor extension to the Restaurant. We hope to have all the work completed by mid next year. I sincerly apologise for the hot water issues you experienced. It did take us some time to identify the problem which has now been rectified. I am disappointed tio hear of your air condirioning issues. I would like to know which rooms you stayed in so that I can have the problems corrected for future guests. I can be contacted directly on tim.pollock@ihg.com
The price of internet will soon begin to drop. We are installing a new hard wired and wireless system in the hotel over the next few weeks which will not only be cheaper but also faster.

Thank for your positive feedback on the staff. I will pass this on at our next get together.

Tim Pollock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
New Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

My employer has an account here so thus is where we stay in Moresby. Room ok, but needs soundproofing. Guy next door anoter and I could hear it.
Service mixed. Some great, some more interested in their mobile phones than in customers.
Restaurant uninspiring.
All in all, at this price I would K100 more and go to the Airways.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Nipsco
TimP2013, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port Moresby, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Nipsco,

Thanks for providing some feedback regarding your recent stay.
I would be interested in hearing some further feedback in regards to the restaurant and what styles of cuisine you would like to see on the menu. I would also be very keen to hear what room you were in so that I can attempt to rectify the soundproofing issue. If you would like to contact me directly, please do so on tim.pollock@ihg.com.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Stayed here twice (before and after Kokoda) with kids and friends and would choose here again after visiting other key hotels. Clearly there is a major building and refurb program in place (that's getting close to finishing) to bring up the "business" standard and this program impacts the overall feel but they are upfront about it at time of booking so cannot complain. Saturday markets on 3rd Sat each month are great and so are crafts (paintings, bilums, basketware etc) sold across the road. Felt safe at all times and staff always genuine and greet you with a smile and will help. I think Its expensive compared to other developing countries we have had the opportunity to visit but but it's pricing comparable to its local competition. Easy car access to Nature Reserve, Parliament House, Vision City, City Hall, Duffy (great coffee).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank U1W
TimP2013, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port Moresby, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear U1W,

Thanks for providing some feedback regarding your recent visits to Holiday Inn Port Moresby. I trust you enjoyed your trek of Kokoda! I note your comments regarding the rather "construction zone" feel that the property currently has. We are very much looking forward to the completion of the projects in the new year. I am glad to read your comments regarding the craft markets. This is an initiative we have only begun this year and all feedback has been positive. Again many thanks for your feedback, and I agree the Duffy coffee is great!

australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

I stayed here for five days on business with a group of colleagues and we had a very uneven experience. Although it is old and in the middle of a building site at present, there were many good things about the hotel as well as a number of problems. It has a free airport shuttle service which meets international flights and I found this reassuring as taxis in Moresby are said to be dangerous. The reception staff were very charming, warm and generally helpful, although I was not given unexpected messages left for me. I had to change rooms twice because of unacceptable levels of noise in the old wing and was finally moved to the Tower, which has been refurbished. All three rooms had comfortable beds and pillows, basic toiletries, an iron and ironing board, coffee and tea provisions and a room safe, and the Tower room also provided slippers. My Tower room was quiet but the air conditioning was ineffective (wouldn't cool below 25 degrees) and there was a plague of little cockroaches in the bathroom. I reported both problems three times and eventually the bathroom was sprayed (which reduced but did not eliminate the roaches) but the air con apparently couldn't be fixed, maybe because of the frequent power cuts in Moresby (the hotel generators always kick in, but have a torch handy and watch out for your computer). There is only one restaurant and the kitchen was quite slow -- often 30-45 minutes wait for meals. The food was generally OK but the same dish varied a lot according to the day and presumably the cook on duty, sometimes quite good, sometimes not, and we once had the wrong dishes delivered twice in a row. The wait staff were very pleasant and helpful, however. We booked meeting rooms each evening but found that our bookings were moved around and, once, cancelled, to accommodate other groups. Wifi is available in the lobby but you have to buy an expensive scratch card (50 kino for 100 MB) for an access code. Moresby is, as others have noted, not your average destination, and given that, the Holiday Inn is not a bad choice, as long as you relax your expectations and enjoy the things that work and the smiles of the staff.

Room Tip: The rooms in the old wing are larger but very badly soundproofed and quite shabby, and the old wing...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ozday,

Thank you for your constructive comments regarding your recent visit to Holiday Inn Port Moresby. I appreciate the positive feedback regarding your encounters with the members of the team. This is most pleasing.
I am however very disappointed that you experienced a number of issues with your rooms throughout your visit. I note your comments regarding noise in the garden wing rooms. I assume the noise you were experiencing was coming from rooms above or below you. I have spoken to the team regarding room allocation as this can often remedy these situations. The Airconditioning issue is also of concern. I would appreciate it if you can contact me directly with the room details so that I can have this unit replaced. I would also appreciate further feedback regading the issues you experienced with the meeting rooms.

We have a stringent pest control policy in place and I will be taking up this issue with the contractor. Please accept my apologies for this.

The power in Port Moresby has been particularly bad over the last 8 weeks. Unfortunately there does not appear to be an end in sight in reagrds to this issue.

We will have an upgraded internet system in place by the end of November. This will do away with the MB cards and will provide a more cost effective solution including WIFI in all rooms.

Again, many thanks for your feedback and I would really appreciate it if you could contact me so that I can delve further into a couple of the issues experienced.

e-mail: tim.pollock@ihg.com
Armidale, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

Port Moresby is an 'interesting' destination, with significant security problems, therefore we were confined to the Holiday Inn for business, leisure and accomodation/dining for the vast majority of our week's stay. The hotel itself was undergoing major renovations but valiant efforts were being made to operate normally despite much of the complex being a building site.
The rooms were a little dark but entirely adequate, with the usual facilities, including wired internet connection (at a cost, and sporadic). Water supply, particularly for showers, was intermittently interrupted, usually OK in the mornings, less so in the evenings. The single restaurant was covering for the temporary closure of the other alfresco restaurant during renovations and did a pretty good job. The menu wasn't big, but it was varied and in more than one sense i.e. the same dish ordered on successive nights might be noticeably different. Having said that, the food was good, well presented and service was fine. The wine list offered a reasonable, if expensive, selection. The outdoor bar was pleasant, suffering a little from proximity to building work, but not too badly. The swimming pool was even closer to the building work, but again, still serviceable and in use.
We were told that there were two good restauarnts in the city, but that it would be too much of a security risk for us to venture there, particularly at night, so we have no view on those.

Security tip - Do use the hotel shuttle bus to and from the airport, taxi services can be risky.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, facing away from building work.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank OzCru
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Port Moresby, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear OzCru,

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed here on business, but I wouldn't stay here if by choice. The gardens are nice and the bar by the pool and restaurant are a very welcome retreat after a hot day doing business in Port Moresby. It's a little out of the way and like being in a luxury prison. Security is tight. Don't go wandering around outside the hotel. Overall, Port Moresby is what it is, so don't expect too much. It's OK for business travelers.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Port Moresby, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear da_griswalds,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review about our property. It is always our goal to provide convenient and world class service to our guest. We apologize we were not able to exceed your expectations during your stay. Please be assured that these will be looked into and that your comments will be used to monitor future improvements needed.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Cairns
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

The old Islander Hotel was built at Waigani 40 odd years ago, it had charm, space around the gardens and at the time top facilities. Today it has been dwarfed by the most ugly buildings in Port Moresby, rooms face onto new buildings almost as though you could reach out and touch them when other buildings are complete the only way to have privacy will be to close the curtains.
The foyer is impressive, the staff were extraordinarily friendly and helpful, the rooms were clean and spartan but smelled of cleaning chemicals and sounds from nearby rooms echoed along the corridor making sleep difficult. The coffee shop was pleasant, the buffet was good, but food off a-la-carte menu was poor and the following day we were shunted between various rooms as someone had not checked with catering staff, after a panic, the food arrived.
Altogether disappointing and like most hotels in Port Moresby overpriced,
PNGean

Room Tip: Top Floor Tower Block
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TimP2013, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port Moresby, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear ExplorerCairns,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your recent visit with us. I hope that once the new buildings are completed and we have the extensive landscaping completed that you wiill have a more positive view of the new buildings. I note your point regading the the proximity of the buildings and am confident thast with appropriate trees in place adequate privacy will be gained. Thank you for the poisitve comments regarding the staff members at the hotel, I will ensure that this feedback reaches the team at our next staff get together. I am sorry that you found the a'la carte food poor. We are working hard to find the right mix of food on the menu and I would be interested in further feedback on this particular item.

Again, thanks for your feedback and if you would like to contact me directly you can do so on tim.pollock@ihg.com

Travelers are raving about these Port Moresby hotels