“Given that this is a third world location not too bad but very expensive”

Holiday Inn Port Moresby
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Port Moresby
Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

The staff were very obliging and helpful but the hotel is showing its age. There is a new tower under construction so that will help.
The security ( important in PNG) is quite good. The restaurant is average but good quality.
Make sure you get a room where the aircon works which was not the case in the garden rooms.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Peter P
TimP2013, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port Moresby, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Dear Peter P,

Thanks for your feedback. It was great to read that the staff you encountered were helpful. The two towers we have under construction will open in April and September 2013 and include 86 Suites and 200 Holiday Inn Express rooms. I note your comment on the air conditioning. We have had a major breakdown in our Garden wWing and will have it back operational in mid January.

Tim Pollock

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Port Moresby

Reviewed November 22, 2012

Yes, it is overpriced but all hotels in Port Moresby are. At least rooms are clean and there are plenty of good quality towels and sheets. Bottled water supplied every day (something hotels like New Papua do not provide). Staff are extremely friendly and helpful. I agree tower is preferable to older part of hotel (provided you are not facing directly one of the two new hotel towers being constructed)

Room Tip: Try the tower or if visiting after 2013 ask for one of the new blocks
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank tandemflyer32
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Hotel was full- a number of rooms were out due to lack of Air conditiong. Ask for rooms in the tower not garden view as these can be a long...long walk from reception. The Bar is excellent and a great place for a few bevies after the working day. Rooms are a good size though the garden room that i was in was a bit tired and the bathroom needs a refit. Breakfast is ordinary buffet style. Most top end accomodation in Port Morsby is seriously expensive so shop around and try to get inclusions- dinner/ breakfast/ upgrades. Holiday Inn are building a large addition on the same site so hopefully things will improve once these are up and running. The other issue that I had was the scan card for entrance to the room. This one refused to work and 4 visits to reception over a number of days to get this fixed- not happy!

Room Tip: go for tower room
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Lance R

Dear Lance R,

Thanks for your feedback regarding your visit to Holiday Inn Port Moresby late last year. I appreciate your feedback on the garden wing bathrooms and we are currently working on a new design with the aim of refurbishing later in the year. As you noted we also have new rooms opening later in the year. We will have 86 New apartments in April and our 200 room Holiday Inn Express will open in September. The issue with your door lock is of a concern and I apologise for the inconvenience this caued you during your visit. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Tim Pollock

Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

Well what can I say, the bed was comfortable but they are in the middle of construction and refurbishment so you get woken up by loud noise whether you like it or not, my room was average in Europe I would not pay more than 80euro for that. Also for the amount I paid I could have stayed at the ritz Carlton in Moscow. The hotel is secure and staff are nice although their credit card machine was offline both at check in and check out - nothing works in that country. Internet was overpriced and only worked in a lobby area.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Bon_Vivant_LV
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Port Moresby, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Dear JURIS-LV,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am so pleased you liked the friendliness of our staff. I would like to apologize for the experience you had with the noise and any inconvenience that affected your stay negatively. I understand the discomfort this has caused you. I am also sorry you were not satisfied with the rates. Prices do vary depending on the dates and are competitive within the area. Rest assured, your comments will be reviewed and be forwarded to departments involved to take actions accordingly. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you give us a chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M

Reviewed November 20, 2012

What a fiasco! First, they would not let our group book all NS rooms. I changed my res individually when I saw on their website they had NS rooms available. Then they charged me again for the full price, not just the upgrade. Mold in the corners of the bathrooms and the air vents. So gross. I think more effort was spent in maintaining the pool than the rooms. Food in their restaurant was not bad but I was glad to get out of this place.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank florafauna
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Port Moresby, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Dear florafauna,

Zelyn N

Reviewed November 8, 2012

This is the worst of the Holiday Inns that I’ve stayed so far. The service is not at all up to the mark. But you don’t have many choice either in Port Moresby. You should also know that you’ll have to pay twice or more than any of the best 4 or 5 star ranks in other countries. The cost structure here is ridiculous.

Room Tip: Rooms are nicer in the TOWER WING. The noises will start to interrupt you from the early morning in...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Zahid I
TimP2013, Manager at Holiday Inn Port Moresby, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Dear Zahid,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Holiday Inn Port Moresby. It is disappointing to read that you did not have a great experience at the hotel. I would be happy to discuss the problems you experienced further should you wish and can be contacted via tim.pollock@ihg.com.

Tim

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Two maybe unfair. This is Port Moresby after all. There's a tension in the air. The advice in the room is to keep both the door and balcony door locked and chained when you retire. Our balcony door had it's chain forcibly ripped off and the lock had been forced in the past and would not have stood up to a determined pull. On the other hand it did its job as an overnight hotel. The shuttle met us and took us back to the airport on time. The bed was large and comfortable, but the bath was chipped and you couldn't turn off the bath tap when you were using the in bath shower. If you are forced to stay in PM then other places could be worse.

Tip: if you do stay overnight do not check your bags through the airport, take them offf and re-check them. Or will have stuff stolen from them.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Casterbridge
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Port Moresby, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Dear Casterbridge,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. I am pleased that you found the bed comfortable. Most importantly, I would like to apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced. I want to assure you that I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Janice A