“Overpriced, but when you don't have a choice ... It's secure”

Holiday Inn Port Moresby
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Port Moresby
Riga, Latvia
“Overpriced, but when you don't have a choice ... It's secure”
Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

Well what can I say, the bed was comfortable but they are in the middle of construction and refurbishment so you get woken up by loud noise whether you like it or not, my room was average in Europe I would not pay more than 80euro for that. Also for the amount I paid I could have stayed at the ritz Carlton in Moscow. The hotel is secure and staff are nice although their credit card machine was offline both at check in and check out - nothing works in that country. Internet was overpriced and only worked in a lobby area.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Bon_Vivant_LV
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Port Moresby, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear JURIS-LV,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am so pleased you liked the friendliness of our staff. I would like to apologize for the experience you had with the noise and any inconvenience that affected your stay negatively. I understand the discomfort this has caused you. I am also sorry you were not satisfied with the rates. Prices do vary depending on the dates and are competitive within the area. Rest assured, your comments will be reviewed and be forwarded to departments involved to take actions accordingly. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you give us a chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
colorado
Reviewed November 20, 2012

What a fiasco! First, they would not let our group book all NS rooms. I changed my res individually when I saw on their website they had NS rooms available. Then they charged me again for the full price, not just the upgrade. Mold in the corners of the bathrooms and the air vents. So gross. I think more effort was spent in maintaining the pool than the rooms. Food in their restaurant was not bad but I was glad to get out of this place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank florafauna
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Port Moresby, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear florafauna,

Zelyn N

Travelers are raving about these Port Moresby hotels

Townsville, Australia
Reviewed November 8, 2012

This is the worst of the Holiday Inns that I’ve stayed so far. The service is not at all up to the mark. But you don’t have many choice either in Port Moresby. You should also know that you’ll have to pay twice or more than any of the best 4 or 5 star ranks in other countries. The cost structure here is ridiculous.

Room Tip: Rooms are nicer in the TOWER WING. The noises will start to interrupt you from the early morning in...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Zahid I
TimP2013, Manager at Holiday Inn Port Moresby, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Zahid,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Holiday Inn Port Moresby. It is disappointing to read that you did not have a great experience at the hotel. I would be happy to discuss the problems you experienced further should you wish and can be contacted via tim.pollock@ihg.com.

Kind Regards

Tim
London
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Two maybe unfair. This is Port Moresby after all. There's a tension in the air. The advice in the room is to keep both the door and balcony door locked and chained when you retire. Our balcony door had it's chain forcibly ripped off and the lock had been forced in the past and would not have stood up to a determined pull. On the other hand it did its job as an overnight hotel. The shuttle met us and took us back to the airport on time. The bed was large and comfortable, but the bath was chipped and you couldn't turn off the bath tap when you were using the in bath shower. If you are forced to stay in PM then other places could be worse.

Tip: if you do stay overnight do not check your bags through the airport, take them offf and re-check them. Or will have stuff stolen from them.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Casterbridge
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Port Moresby, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Casterbridge,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. I am pleased that you found the bed comfortable. Most importantly, I would like to apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced. I want to assure you that I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Janice A
USA and South Africa
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This Holiday Inn is reportedly the most profitable Holiday Inn in the world, and this must be because of the hugely inflated prices ($300+ per night for a standard room!) and the lack of investment in maintenance or improvements. The hotel is not terrible, is set in lush gardens/grounds, and rooms are comfortable (good beds!), but many rooms are quite shabby looking and fixtures are dated (especially in the bathrooms). The carpeting on the hallway stairs is ancient and quite disgusting. The hotel is also very loud – both because of the tile floors and way that the doors slam closed, but also because of the loud generator that roars to life and stays on often all night, and not lastly because of the very noisy (though friendly!) housekeeping staff who talk loudly and yell to each other up and down the hallways any time of day or night (I do not recommend staying in the otherwise nice room 123, which is just across the hall from the housekeeping office, with constant coming and going of all housekeeping staff, starting early in the morning, and often in the night too). The hotel is very busy on weekends with local families and their kids, who use the pool (which becomes a scream fest of little kids having a great time but not leaving much peace for the other guests) and run up and down the hallways on Saturdays and Sundays. There also seemed to be several rooms occupied by groups of teenagers on the weekends, who were also not very quiet.
The hotel has some apartments as well as standard rooms, and they seem to vary quite a bit depending on where they are in the hotel. Some are quiet but dark, some look over the pool area, some onto the parking lots, at the construction, or at brick walls. The hotel has a good gym, which was recently refurbished, with several treadmills, bikes, rowers, and an extensive weights area. There are also some classes in the studio, most evenings. The hotel’s food is ok, but not great, with the buffets being rather expensive and the pool bar being the best choice for a quick bite (but it is not cheap, not quick, and just ok for the price). Wifi at the hotel is outrageously expensive at about US $80 for 300MB, which goes very quickly if one needs to download anything at all, or do any skyping. Standard rooms are equipped with a small fridge and tea kettles, which are handy. Construction is under way of a new Holiday Inn Suites and Holiday Inn Express right on the grounds, so the premises feels like a major construction scene at times, with some noise (loud in some rooms). Unfortunately due to the construction, you can no longer walk/jog around the perimeter of the grounds inside the gates (as used to be the case), which is too bad given how difficult it is to walk outside anywhere in POM due to security concerns. The location is good for work in POM, as it is close to government offices, and is also close to a new shopping mall (which includes a large grocery store).

Room Tip: Look for room away from construction
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
General Santos, Philippines
Reviewed September 12, 2012

we arrived very early in the morning and we were not able to book for a shuttle service from the airport. however when we called up at the hotel, immediately they provide a shuttle service to pick us up at the airport..

considering that we arrive 5am and usually check in time is 2pm, they find ways to accommodate as early as possible and make us comfortable while waiting for our room availability.

the room was nice... toiletries are of good quality.

most of all the staff were so friendly, accommodating and courteous. they ensure our safety.

however, we were so afraid to use their elevator because it was walled by wood..nah, i don't know why..maybe it was under repair during that time.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Brisbane
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I had lowered my expectations prior to coming here after reading reviews on Tripadvisor and after chatting to a friend who stayed at the Holiday Inn Port Moresby. My stay commenced well as I was met at the airport by a Holiday Inn representative and I was soon in the free shuttle service to the hotel. A free service is also available when returning to the hotel.

I'm a Priority Club member and I was presented with free peanuts and a chocolate bar, though this was the following day - as someone forgot to provide it to me on the day of check-in. I arrived at my tower room and was pleased to see it beautifully appointed and clean, the bed and sheets were exceptional - and it was an absolute joy to just lay in bed reading, using the computer or watching TV, which had an ample selection of channels.

The bathroom looked dated and tired, but it was still acceptable. The roof in the bathroom was quite low and give the room a slightly claustrophobic feel. The free toiletries are the standard (good quality) Holiday Inn fare. The balcony was small with uninspiring furnishings, but since I didn't stay outside for long, it wasn't a problem.

On the first night of my stay a nearby function was on that blared music to well after midnight that I could hear through the double-glazed windows. Thankfully, all was quiet for the next two nights. The only other noise was from people chatting in the corridor or the closing nearby room doors - otherwise it was a peaceful place.

There is only one restaurant in the hotel (called the Kopi Haus) with a reasonable selection. Breakfast was good but not great, and I ordered two meals for dinner - one a Caesar Salad and the other a pizza - and both were above average; it was refreshing to eat a pizza not dripping in oil. The price is what you'd expect to pay in a Holiday Inn. There is a shop downstairs where you can purchase water or noodles that can be eaten via use of the kettle. However, a trip to the nearby Vision Shopping Mall is a cheaper place to stock up on snacks.

There is a business centre to use the Internet, but I relied on wireless by purchasing a 100MB card for 50 Kina. There is also a 160MB card for 100 Kina, but it isn't as cost effective for a short stay. I found net connections good in and around the lobby, restaurant and business centre, but poor by the pool. To access within your room, you'll need to use a cable.

I must comment on the overall superior quality of the staff - as good as you would find in many places around the world. Almost every staff member was very friendly, helpful courteous and professional. The overall rating of this property is due one point higher due to their efforts. In particular Mary, a guest services manager, was extremely good, and is a real credit to the hotel.

One slightly disconcerting aspect was the number of non-residents that happened to wander through the hotel to apparently use the pool. Whilst working on my laptop in the lobby over the space of two days, I saw a fairly regular stream of people come into the hotel, head in the direction of the pool, and then a couple of hours later leave again, and I am certain they were not staying here, and possibly not even visiting people staying here. I never felt it was a danger, but everyone knows about Port Moresby's security concerns, so this may be an issue one day.

The price of hotels in Port Moresby is horrendous - but if you are a Priority Club member, than this is a great place to take advantage of a points + cash rewards night - so I only paid US$60 per night. Thus, my value rating is based on this amount, rather than the standard rate which is five times this price. There is a Holiday Inn Express being built next door, but it is still a long way from completion. I believe water table problems may have caused the delay in completion.

Overall, this was a most enjoyable experience, and I would certainly stay here again, but only by using my reward nights.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo