“Well managed, clean & comfortable (but still a bit "tired")”

Crowne Plaza Port Moresby
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Port Moresby
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I always return here when I visit Port Moresby, despite the fact that this property is in need of refurbishment. The reason? Well, I'm an IHG Platinum Member & I really enjoy the privileges that this membership bestows (location in the Club Floors, free access to the club etc), but also because, of all the hotels in Port Moresby, the Crowne Plaza is brilliantly managed by David Bowen, the General Manager; the staff are very friendly and helpful; the food is consistently good, from the cafe, the more formal Rapala Room, and even the room service (far superior, in fact, to the brand-new, classier Grand Papua Hotel right next door to the Crowne Plaza). Still the best place to stay in town, in my opinion! The rooms are comfortable and clean and have all the services one would expect from a better class establishment.

Room Tip: I don't think any rooms are inferior, really. They all boast spectacular views over the old, dow...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 255069GeeBee
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby.

It was our pleasure looking after you are we are very pleased you enjoyed the benefits of being an IHG Rewards Club Platinum Member.

We have a great team here at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby and they will all be very happy to hear your wonderful comments.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

A good hotel to stay for a short time. The rooms are clean and spacious. I did not find the experience as good or as friendly as the Airways. The hotel looks and feels a bit tired and some of the staff need new uniforms.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Colin582
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Please accept my apologies that we were unable to deliver an experience to your expectations. Your comments will be shared with the team as we continually try to improve our service offerings.

We were pleased you found our rooms clean and spacious.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for two nights as part of my package for the Kokoda Trek. Whilst the rooms are a little dated from a Western perspective, they were certainly very comfortable and clean throughout.

The food in the restaurant was exceptional and the service from the staff was excellent. There was always a friendly smile from all the staff that I dealt with.

Whilst I was with a group and didn't need to leave the hotel separately, safety is not a concern as there is security at the locked front gates.

Room Tip: I had a room that faced out to the ocean and apart from the excellent views, the others in my tour g...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kingsbury067
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

We were pleased you found our rooms clean and comfortable and our Food and Beverage offerings are one of our key highlights in the hotel so we are glad you enjoyed them.

Thank you also for acknowledging the team - they will be very pleased to hear your comments.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

I wrote a review on Crown Plaza Port Moresby back in April 2013 and it was immediately responded by the General Manager (Mr David Bowen). Although I did not write my full name in the review and remain anonym, somehow they knew who I was and In the hotel I can see immediate changes in my room and the facilities. That's how quickly the hotel management responding to the quest needs.

I eventually ended up staying for more than 3 months with Crown Plaza and in the end felt bad leaving due to my attachment to the hotel and its staff. I feel Crown Plaza Hotel was my home already.

During my stay, one thing that made me notice constantly is the friendliness of the staff who really tried their best to make all the quest feel at home. They reacted it immediately to all the needs we communicated with them. And following this the staff and the supervisor made sure on regular basis that the similar incident wont happen again and we are looked after well.

I wished to thank your Mr Bowen and his team for looking after me well during my stay.

Room Tip: Ask for room that is facing the ocean and away from the entrance as these rooms are closer to the pu...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MaiJanfad M
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

It was our pleasure looking after you and I am very pleased we were able to accommodate your needs.

As you mentioned the staff at our hotel make a great difference and really work hard to ensure we are looking after all our guests.

Once again thank you for your feedback and hopefully we will see you again.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Port Moresby is unbelievably squalid and unsafe. This hotel would be just average anywhere else but in this unforgivingly dangerous environment it was comfortaing to have a security team manning the gate that is the entrance to the hotel.

The staff are very friendly, welcoming and accommodating. The joint is tired but stacks up well in a developing country which has much naked poverty and a large ratio of underserved and disadvantaged peoples.

The food was of a good quality and there was plenty of choce at breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

We were pleased to hear you found our hotel safe and secure, something very important in PNG.

I will also share your wonderful comments regarding our staff with the team, they all work very hard each day to deliver a great guest experience and it is always nice when they are acknowledged.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I was a little worried about going to PNG as everyone always has something to say about how unsafe it is etc.. however they have probably never been to PNG!
My personal experience was excellent and I look forward to coming back to the Crowne Plaza on my next visit. I was lucky enough to stay for 2 nights and didn't need to leave the hotel as they had everything I needed there.
TRANSFERS: This is included in the price, a lady was waiting with a clear sign then helped with the luggage. Great service from the very first minute.
CHECK IN: This was quick and easy, the gentlemen checking us in was so happy with a wealth of information in regards to our stay. It was such a change to have very helpful service where I didn't feel like I was just another guest checking into a large chain hotel.
ROOM: Room and Bathroom was very clean with full amenities (club room), complimentary bottled water along with nice views over the water. The TV had so many channels to choose from. The bed was comfortable, I slept like a baby! I did have to turn the air conditioner off as it did get too cold, I was impressed to have this option. The iron & ironing board was new, this is important when away on business.
STAFF: Service in this hotel is stand out impressive, every one you walk past has the biggest smile and always ready to help.
FOOD & BAR: OMG, I have not stopped talking about the Lobster Thermidor at Rapala! It is a must have if you go there. In the buffet, everyday has a theme and luckily I got to have the seafood buffet, There is a chef who will cook up what you want fresh, it was so good I wish I went direct to him to start rather than get what was already cooked however I did fit it all in... The bar has a bar menu which has everything you would want at a bar. Drinks, well you can't go too wrong but didn't think I had drunk that much until they told me there was no Jim Beam left, oops...
I have to mention the Scones, if you are there for a client meeting, these are that good your client will mention them in there follow up email, just saying, they are amazing!
POOL: Had a great couple of hours next to the pool, towels are already on the lounge chairs and the pool is clean and inviting. The bar staff came out to check on us every 15-20 mins to see if we wanted another drink, again amazing service.
CLUB ROOM: this is a nice area to meet clients or just sit and do some work through the day, plenty of seats and tables, great views on all angles. Afternoon canapés and drinks always go down a treat with no exception here.
SAFETY: I could of been in any hotel in the world, I felt safe 100% at all times, the staff work hard to make you feel this way without showing it. There was a guard monitoring the gate and high fences.
Overall I recommend this hotel to everyone, I did speak to guests in passing or in the lift and it was great to see they all feel the same way, the amount of guests who have been coming back and forwards for years say the staff are the reason they keep returning and I will certainly be making this my hotel of choice for my trips to PNG in the coming months.
Thanks so much to the team at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Janeen007
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

What a stellar review!

We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed all our facilities. You are right that feeling safe in PNG is very important and we are very proud to offer the high level of security that we do without impacting your experience.

The team work very hard every day to deliver a great guest experience and they will all be very pleased to hear your wonderful feedback.

Our Food and Beverage offerings are one of our key highlights in the hotel and I will be sure to share your comments with our Rapala Restaurant, Cafe and Heritage Bar Teams.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

The Crowne Plaza in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, is located on a ridge right in the middle of the city. To the North you have views of waving palms on the white, sandy beach and to the south, across the city to the harbour in its virtually land locked bay surrounded by forest.

There's a great bar on the first floor where you can enjoy the local "SP" beer looking down on said beach - and wishing you could go there without getting murdered (but that's PNG for you). The main restaurant is superb with local and international dishes or there is a simpler buffet style restaurant right by the bar. Club rooms on the top floors offer access to a great lounge with free drinks and a finger buffet in the early evening.

Room Tip: I'd go for a room facing north; the beach really is enticing
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Otto148
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

You are correct in mentioning the fantastic views from the Crowne Plaza, they are absolutely stunning

Our Food and Beverage offerings are one of our key highlights in the hotel and I will be sure to share your comments with our Team.