“Best stay in PoM” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Port Moresby
townsville
“Best stay in PoM”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

After having tried several hotel in moresby I keep sticking to the crowne, best option in town. Old style elegant hotel, offering all u need. From a well equipped gym to a nice bar area.
Rooms are a bit oldish, but they are compensated by the trendiness and professionality of all the staff and the 'homly' atmosphere. Perfect when travelling for work.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank sarettina
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby.

The team work very hard every day to deliver a great guest experience and they will all be very pleased to hear your wonderful feedback.

Once again thank you.

David Bowen & TEAM Crowne Plaza Port Moresby

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for four nights in August.I've stayed here before and this stay was really quite good.

I was on the 9th floor in an executive room. Cost was quite high at 810 Kina (about $400 AUD) per night, but this was a work trip so the cost wasn't met by me personally.

The room was clean and tidy and everything worked. The ironing board was new as was the iron (for those who have read my other reviews will know that to me this is a sound test of attention to detail). The TV has been upgraded since my last visit, with new pay TV with about 60 channels.

Parking was easy and the staff were very helpful. If you use the Executive floors (7, 8 and 9th floors), a buffet breakfast is included in the cost, and I must say it is a pretty good breakfast too. If you use these floors you can also access the free Executive Lounge on the 8th floor. Quiet spot to sit and work and wonderful views both out to Koki and across the harbour.

The bed was new and very comfortable, the shower was hot. Getting replacement towels took a while, sometimes after the room was done up, my clean towels didn't turn up until quite late in the afternoon. Not sure why that is.

Security is quite good here and the cafe downstairs does a wonderful morning tea, with fantastic scones. Great taste, but bad for the waistline. I didn't use the pool, but looking down from room 910 I looked very inviting.

Lack of a guest laundry is an annoyance. I would have liked access to a washing machine, but hey.... hand washing in a bucket isn't hard and it works!

A good comfortable stay, pleasant staff who were quite helpful..... If you can afford it - go for it.

Room Tip: 8th and 9th floor will be very quiet
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank HaydnAustralia
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this review, August 21, 2013

Thank you also for noticing the changes we are making to improve your experience with us. We were glad to hear you found your stay comfortable and our team helpful.

Please accept my apologies that the towels were not always on time, I have shared your comments with our Executive Housekeeper so she can improve this service.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Really enjoyed staying here for two nights when an airline bumped us off a flight and we had to be accommodated in POM.

My third floor room facing the pool was quiet with pleasant afternoon sun. Yes, the rooms have survived several era's of decor fashion unchanged, but my room was clean, and bathroom pleasant with a deep bath.
Art work in the foyer and throughout the hotel added a sense of location - being in the interesting and unique setting of PNG!

The buffet was very generous with good food choices, and to minimise the impact of over eating, the gym was more than edequate to provide a good work out.

Live musicians added some nice atmosphere during dinner one evening, which was very pleasant.

I have stayed at two other top hotels in POM, but this was my favourite, based on conviviality and friendliness.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this review, August 26, 2013

What a fantastic review. It was great to hear you found our staff excellent and friendly.

We were glad that you found our Cafe restaurant buffet generous with good food choices. We have a different theme each night with Seafood on Thursday nights a particular favourite!

Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

Been staying in this hotel since 2005. Been through management changes during all these time. Close to offices, only walking distance. Very safe and close to most well know restaurant like Asia Aromas ,Daikoku and Fusion Bistro. Yes it is very expensive hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this review, August 1, 2013

Thank you for your loyalty over the past 8 years, we really appreciate it.

As you mentioned safety is a key factor when choosing where to stay in Port Moresby and we are very proud to offer a safe environment for our guests at Crowne Plaza.

With your comments regarding to price, as described in earlier responses Port Moresby is a city in the midst of a mining boom and similar to cites like Perth prices are reflective of this.

You have mentioned some great restaurants in your review. Did you try our signature restaurant Rapala while you stayed with us? Rapala is listed as the number one restaurant in Port Moresby on Trip Advisor and well worth a visit.

Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

Stayed for 4 days for business in July. One of the 3 luxurious hotels in Port Moresby. The hotel was built around 40 years ago and is in terrible shape. Extremely over-priced with very average service and amenities. Swimming pool and gym are best avoided. Not many eating options around, so all meals have to be at one of the two cafes in the hotel... again very average service and food quality but seriously overpriced. Strongly recommend staying at the neighbouring Papua Grand which is marginally expensive but seemed brand new with better amenities. Extremely disappointing.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this review, July 16, 2013

Please accept my apologies that we did not meet your expectations, something we do strive to achieve everyday.

With your comments regarding to price, Port Moresby is a city in the midst of a mining boom and similar to cites like Perth prices are reflective of this.

Did you try our signature restaurant Rapala while you stayed with us? Rapala is listed as the number one restaurant in Port Moresby on Trip Advisor and receives very positive feedback from our guests.

If you do choose to stay with us again I would love the opportunity to discuss your feedback in more detail with you as this would be very helpful in helping us deliver a guest experience to your expectations.

Travelers are raving about these Port Moresby hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

I stayed a night at the Crowne and experienced good service during check in but had to call 3 times and walk to the reception to ask to move to another room because of faulty toilet. Reception did not respond until I personally went to them. People make a difference.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank derrimut
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear derrimut,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

I hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Krysllin G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

This is the nick name I heard it called by the locals. They try, they really do, but I doubt they know what to aim for. I was there for one night. An airport pickup was included in the price (high) but we had to wait for a long time before the bus took off. We were waiting for people who wouldn't be arriving for hours. Later, a friend who was one of those who arrived later told me that their ride to the hotel was delayed because they were waiting for me to show up.

I'd booked a twin room with no smoking but they offered me one on a smoking floor. I had to refuse it and insisted before getting what I want. They had the room all the time so why not give it to me in the first place?

The room was tired and neglected. Nothing in the fridge; not even water. No one answers the phone at Room Service and I had to go down to reception twice to get milk and water and a few tea bags delivered

The food at the cafe was expensive and barely edible after waiting a long time for it. K55 for tasteless curry and cold rice with a beer. The local beer was nice. My friends who had the buffet did a bit better but had to pay more.

The service staff were all very nice and wanting to be helpful. However, they presented me with a big bill when I checked out and I had to refuse to pay for my room AGAIN as it was prepaid.

I want to give it two stars but the stuff wanted to give good service so they get an extra star.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this review, June 13, 2013

Please accept my apologies with the level of service you experienced, it is definitely not our usual standard. Unfortunately the delay you experienced with the shuttle bus is due to the lag between the first passenger getting off the plane and the last passenger.

I have personally spoken to our Rooms Division Manager and Executive Chef regarding your experience in these areas and once again I apologize for this level of service.

Thank you for acknowledging the team, they do work hard everyday striving to deliver a great guest experience.

If you are travelling to Port Moresby again I would love the opportunity to show you our usual level of service, please contact me on david.bowen@ihg.com if you would like to take up this offer.