“Very nice salad bar”

Crowne Plaza Port Moresby
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Port Moresby
Reviewed April 16, 2013

The rooms are clean and nicely kept but could use a renovation. The best part of the stay was the salad bar with a nice selection of greens and fixings. You can opt for only the salad and make it a meal. Like everywhere else, the internet it expensive and slow.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby.

It was great to hear that you found our rooms clean and well maintained.

The buffet that you mentioned in our Cafe is available seven days a week for both lunch and dinner and as you highlighted we pride ourselves on providing the freshest produce available in Port Moresby.

Once again thank you for your great feedback.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed at the Crown Plaza POM for a week on business from 6 - 13 April 2013 and can highly recommend this hotel. The staff were great, friendly and always smiling and willing to help. Room was clean and very comfortable. Only got to use the Executive Lounge twice during my stay but can highly recommend it.

Had dinner in both restaurants in the hotel on several nights and the menu, food and service in the Rapala was exceptional.

The equipment in the gymnasium was in excellent condition, modern and all machines were in working order which is quite unusual in other hotels these days.

Looking forward to my next stay.

Dave Trimble, Australia

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

We were delighted to read your review.

It was great to hear your comments about our staff describing them as friendly, smiling and willing to help. They all work very hard every day to provide a great guest experience and will be very pleased to see your feedback.

Rapala is truly the jewel of the Crowne Plaza so I am glad you enjoyed your dinner there.

Once again thank you for your wonderful feedback.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Unbelievable

Not sure where to start, I often do not write reviews, but only when a place is only too good or too bad I bother to spend the actual time and write a few lines.

In this case unfortunately it is the latter.

Sad story ONE

Landed on Sun 7 Apr, was greeted by the hotel rep at the airport. She said the bus has just gone and should be back.

We watched vans from Airways hotel, Lamada and Grande Papua come and go at least 2 or 3 times (Airways actually 3 times) but we had to wait for Crowne Plaza one.

When asked the rep she said sorry he is stuck in traffic!! Come on Sunday afternoon and traffic.

Long story short has to wait 75 minutes for the van to come.

A poor lady who came from the UK and started her journey on Fri morning (now we are Sun afternoon) was furious but was more than happy that she was in.

Check in went flawless.

Sad Story TWO

Asked for a jug of ice from the housekeeping, after waiting for an hour and 20 minutes, had to put clothes on, go to the reception and ask about it.

The reception called them and they said “she is busy”.

Went back to the room 2 minutes later the ice was there.

Sad Story THREE

“Do not Disturb Sign” goes missing, so the mini bad guy can knock, come in and check the mini bar inventory.

This has happened twice, now with the new sign I push half of it between the door and jam it in there so it can not be removed.

Sad Story FOUR

Had asked for non-smoking room and is kindly given non-smoking for a fee (USD$50.00 plus per night, can not remember the exact amount).

Just noticed that a few rooms on the 7th floor smoke, and had to push towels under the door to stop the smell.

Also asked for the balcony to be unlocked (it is locked by default) to get rid of the smell often by opening the sliding windows.

Sad story FIVE

Ordered TWO pizzas (Called 8 piece 4 meat Pizzas) they arrived and they were superb nice taste and size (about 12” in diameter), nice crisp base with bbq sauce on the top. It cost 58K (Kina)

So the next eve ordered one, thinking I am getting the same, room service delivered one which was no bigger than a normal dinning plate in size, and still charged me 58K, total rip off. By now I am so over this hotel that I do not even complain.

Sad story SIX

Last night Sun 14 Apr 2013, the guys were preparing the pool side for the Youth Ministers Convention” starting on the 15th.

At 21:00 to 22:30 they used hammers and angle grinders ( I kid you not) to assemble the pagoda and other accessories.

I mean, which planet are you guys from??

I have to admit the pros of the hotel though, the housekeeping ladies are awesome, they ensure you are well looked after.

The Bellboy and the security guys are very friendly and they provide information and advice when asked, always with a smile.

So, if you are wondering how much the above experience have set me back, so far USD 4,319.09 $.

My trip is extended by another few nights initially 11 nights, but now extended to 16 and I have given ultimatum to my company that I will not be staying here for the extra 5 nights.

Room Tip: rooms facing the pool on higher floors should be quieter, gets sun in the afternoon and got very nic...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Please accept my apologies for the level of service you received during your stay. It is definitely not an acceptable standard and I have shared your feedback with our Executive Chef and Rooms Division Manager to address.

I would ask that if you are in Port Moresby again that you give Crowne Plaza another opportunity to show you the level of service we can offer. Please contact me personally and I would love to organise it for you.

Thank you for your comments regarding our Housekeeping, Front Office and Security teams. They all work very hard every day to ensure we are looking after are valuable guests and they will be very pleased to here your positive feedback.

Once again please accept my apologies.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed at the Crowne POM early March 2013 for 3 nights due to renovations on our haus. As an ex-pact living here in POM you learn to 'expect the unexpected' and you have to remember where you are!
Now in saying that, our 3 night stay was fantastic! After being in the haus all day deep in cement dust all I wanted was to get the kids to the hotel, relax and 'de-stress'...
As far as the club lounge - one of the best afternoon drinks and canapes I have been too, not to mention the views! Up until the Crowne POM the Westin Sydney was one of my favourites. The exceptionally friendly staff and attention to detail made our stay. Room service was fantastic value for money and for those 'uninitiated' to the often publicized security concerns in Port Morseby - I never once felt uncomfortable and would highly recommend this hotel.
As worldly travellers we have stayed at some of the best hotels in Europe, America, Canada and Australia and we do have very high expectations, the Crowne POM did impress.
A huge 'tenkyu' to the entire staff.

Room Tip: Choose the executive floors, access to the club lounge
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

We were delighted to read your review.

Thank you for your comments regarding our team, stating that they are exceptionally friendly. The team works very hard everyday to deliver a great guest experience and it is always nice when that is acknowledged by our guests. I will definitely share your appreciation with our staff.

We are also very proud of our Executive Club offering and as you mentioned the views are fantastic.

Once again thank you for your wonderful feedback.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Given the exhorbitant prices this Pt Moreby hotel charges for what are very average lodgings, I would have to say this was a very disappointing experience.
Pick up your game, you are not helping the New Guinea economy/tourist industry in any way, shape or form providing run down accommodation at 5 star rates.

On a positive note, the staff at the hotel were very polite, helpful and friendly a you would expect in New Guinea. The pool has just undergone a makeover which is great but it would help if it was cleaned at weekends - I couldn't see the bottom of the pool (it was way to green to go in for a dip) when I visited.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter, ask for harbour views.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank curiouslyrelaxed
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Please accept my apologies that the pool was not cleaned properly during your stay. I have personally spoken to our Maintenance Manager to ensure it is kept clean and tidy at all times.

Thank you for your comments regarding our team, stating that they are polite, helpful and friendly. The team works very hard everyday to deliver a great guest experience and it is always nice when that is acknowledged by our guests.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

One thing you will realise, gentle reader, is that the Crowne Plaza in Port Moresby, PNG, spends a lot of time apologising. If equivalent amount of time was spent putting right what was being apologised for, this place would rate higher than the very generous 2 I've given. I've stayed in a lot of hotels over the last 20 years, and for value for money, this one is an absolute distant last.

For comparisons sake, the $430 I paid per night would compare favourably with a typical $100 per night hotel in Australia, or a $50 per night hotel in Bangkok. But sadly there is next to no tourism in Port Moresby, so the hotels here can simply charge what the international mining and resources companies are happy to pay. $430 per night would easily get me the Tower Wing in the Shangri-La in Singapore - and that simply cannot compare with here.

Checkin on arrival took over almost an hour and a half. While I was 2nd in the queue off the complimentary airport minibus service, my room wasn't ready (this was 5pm), and the clerk told me it'd be done in 5 to 10 minutes, and that he was going to check there and then. I sat in the closed bar, waiting. After an hour and 15 minutes, the queue had mostly gone, and I reminded the hotel staff that I was waiting "5 minutes" for my room. It was still not ready. Remember, this is $430 a night hotel. I was given another room - something that could have been done 90 minutes earlier. I was welcomed as a Priority Club member - I suggest the hotel staff look up the meaning of "Priority". The reception staff were so incredibly slow - spending lots of time clicking through pages and pages in the checkin system, without seemingly doing anything at all.

Through out the week of my stay our small group had to endure lifts failing (more than once I had to take the service lift down from the 9th floor), rooms not being made up properly, totally uninterested staff, &c. At least the room was comfortable and would serve the purpose nicely at $100 a night. Not $430.

Breakfast for the "club" floor (6 through 9) was in a separate restaurant on the first floor, and by all accounts had poorer selection. At least the staff were friendly and helpful, the only time I encountered this the whole week.

The hotel has a complimentary shuttle service to and from the airport. But there are no hotel cars, and our request for transport to our meeting venue was met by "take a taxi". City centre Port Moresby is perhaps not the place you do this sort of thing, not without some degree of bravery involved.

At least the new Grand Papua Hotel is next door, and an easy walk from the Crowne Plaza - we were advised not to do that walk in the dark though. FWIW it is even more expensive.

Internet access is provided by Datec, not the hotel. 50 Kina gives you 100Mbytes download - that's $25 for 100Mbytes. There is also a 160Mbytes download card for 100 Kina - it is not clear to me why anyone would want to buy that. 100Mbytes is laughably small, and you'd soon eat that up just dealing with email. Thankfully our conference venue was able to support our Internet needs so we didn't have to rely on the hotel network for more than just a Facebook update.

Would I stay here again? Highly unlikely. The Ella Beach Hotel is down the hill from the Crowne Plaza, is newer, and seems to be less expensive. Rumour has it a Hilton is going to be built next door to it. Without tourism in Port Moresby prices are going to stay at levels the mining companies can afford, so perhaps the best place to stay is with friends.

Room Tip: Choose high up, and not rooms x04 or x05 as those are directly opposite the lifts. No room is good...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank pfsinoz
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Please accept my apologies that the check in process took so long. While not making excuses the reason for that was during the time of your stay our laundry washing machines were out of operation and required parts to be flow in from overseas. This is unfortunately a time consuming process as the items need to also clear customs in PNG.

With regards to value for money, conducting a business in PNG is more expensive than other locations around the world. For example our utility costs have risen 20 percent year on year. Also all our food is imported from overseas, all these things impact the price we need to charge for our rooms.

I agree that internet is expensive in PNG, this is heavily controlled by the government which only allows two providers in the country. We are hopeful that this will change in the future.

You are correct in saying that the level of service you received is not acceptable and I have shared your feedback with the team and I assure you we are working to address the issues you have raised.

If you do choose to stay with us again I ask that you contact me personally so that I can ensure a great experience.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback.

David Bowen

Reviewed December 13, 2012

My stay at the Crowne Plaza was a frustrating mix of good and bad, which started before even arriving at the hotel.

Given that the great majority of visitors to Port Moresby are business-travellers and that there are generally only a couple of international arrivals per day, one might think that the Crowne would make an effort to actually have their shuttle bus meet the incoming flights. But no, despite representatives of almost every other hotel in town being at the airport - no-one from the Crowne. Eventually a rep for another hotel took pity on me (and a couple of others) and called the hotel on our behalf, after which we waited another 30 minutes or so for the bus to arrive. No apologies, nothing. Grumpy driver…

After a smooth check-in, I was escorted to my room only to find that the air-con didn't work. The porter insisted that the room would cool down, but after waiting 45 minutes for this to happen, I called the front-desk and asked for maintenance to come and check the air-con. After another 2 calls (more on that later) they finally arrived and after a couple of minutes fiddling with the thermostat and concerned looks, announced that it was in fact, dead. They also mentioned that pretty much the whole of the 9th floor was suffering the same problem, Long story short:- I finally received a room with functioning air-con on the 3rd attempt, and after sitting in the Club Lounge for 40 minutes whilst the Manager found a room with working air-con.

For most of the rest of my stay things went smoothly enough except for a curious fact:- SPOONS!
It appears that spoons must be higlhy-valued and in short supply at the Crowne, because almost without exception, every time I ate in the restaurant over the next 12 days, I had to ask for spoons. Tea-spoon for coffee/Tea? hah… Breakfast buffet with a big spread of cereals, fruit etc, things that would be eaten from a bowl with spoons, but no spoons on the tables or buffet. Asking for one would evoke much action and apologies and I would get my spoon. This became a running joke with the staff every day, but spoons never appeared on the tables or the buffet my entire stay.

The last irritating thing at the Crowne is the complete lack of courtesy and service when trying to achieve anything when using the phone. Any request would get a 'call you back" which needless to say, never came. My last night, I had to call housekeeping 5 times before I finally managed to get laundry delivered back to my room. No explanations, nothing. Room service? Wait 1hr and call - 'we'll call you back" - err.. no you won't.

The Crowne used to be able to get away with this kind of couldn't-care-less attitude and poor room maintenance because it was the only game in town if you wanted to be in town and at a half-decent hotel. Over the last couple of years, a great many business-people and visiting Consultants nd so on have gravitated away to either the Grand Papua and/or the Airways. At K900 (USD400) per night, we deserve better.

Room Tip: One with working air-con. Don't be fobbed-off.....
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Please accept my sincere apologies for the level of service you received. It is definitely not acceptable and your feedback has been shared with the team.

I understand how frustrating some of the situations you have described can be and we are working hard to train our team to better look after our guests.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback.

David Bowen