“Not for the budget traveller”
Review of Grand Papua Hotel

Grand Papua Hotel
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Port Moresby
Suva, Fiji
“Not for the budget traveller”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

The hotel is new and well decorated. It is probably the fanciest hotel in Port Moresby. Their breakfast buffet is impressive but so is the price. Make sure your credit limit on your credit card can handle the room rates before you stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Alex W, General Manager at Grand Papua Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear NickHobgood

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently and for the lovely compliments

I agree Port Moresby is definitely an expensive travel destination but we forecast this to improve over time? Again we look forward to your next return.

Lukim yu Alex Wilson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Ramallah, Palestinian Territories
Reviewed July 4, 2013

A nice hotel very central but expensive and not good value for money. Staff good and the rooms are great but having to pay extra for internet is now poor customer service and irritates the business traveler who expects such facilities to be part of the package. I did a deal with the management for a long stay but when I came to check out they charged me full price as the "front desk" did not know. It was finally resolved but you don't need the stress when traveling.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Peter

I apologize sincerely for the inconveniences my team and I have caused following our arrangements for your recent stay.
I agree internet should be inclusive for any corporate travel hence our hotel is pursuing this further.
My team and I thank you for supporting our Customer Service Improvement Plan - CSIP with your great feedback and we look forward to your return to the Grand Papua hotel

Lukim yu Alex Wilson
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I review this Hotel at a bit of a disadvantage as it replaced an Icon in Port Moresby full of history where I stayed on many occasions. There have been attempts to re capture this with many great historical photo's on the walls. The exterior does little to impress me as it surrounds are rocky and stark. On entry all of that changes and it is a very well set out interior with friendly staff and check in is seamless. As in all Port Moresby properties the cost is horrendous!
This being so I wonder why one has to pay for WIFI.
The room is pleasantly laid out with very good views. The A/C is good
I noted that the joinery is of a very cheap nature and in my room two cupboard doors were falling off the hinges.
When using the bathroom sink be careful not to turn it on too much or you will get drenched.
On attending breakfast I found that all was not in place at the given time.
The Grand Papua management needs to be vigilant or it will slip back into being just another Port Moresby Hotel instead of reaching its full potential.

Room Tip: The Higher the room, the better the view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Muruk

The old “Papua Hotel” is certainly an icon of PNG and we are proud to be part of it especially all our local staff. The new Grand Papua hotel features some great memoirs of Papua hotel, Port Moresby and PNG with modern facilities including the Gymnasium, Executive Board room and Executive Lounge located on the 15th floor.

I apologize for the inconveniences caused regarding internet and the breakfast buffet not being on time. Our Chef has been advised and he is committed to police this further and we are currently conducting trials for internet inclusive packages and its support services.

My team and I thank you for your feedback and will certainly address the shortcomings you highlighted. I have a great management team and in sharing your feedback with them we all agree we need to be vigilant always.

I look forward to meeting with you on your return to Port Moresby and the Grand Papua hotel soon
Lukim yu – Alex Wilson
Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Loved the shower and my room had all I needed for one nights stay. Mind you, I had just been on a mine site for the past 14 days!

Had dinner in the restaurant - recommend you have the buffet as great selection, as much as you want and much faster than ordering off the menu.

Would have loved free WiFi throughout the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Alex W, General Manager at Grand Papua Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Pink Skippy

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently, it was lovely to hear your compliments of our rooms and buffet in the Brasserie. I am glad to know after being at the mines you thoroughly enjoyed your stay?
My team and I look forward to your return soon.

Regards and Lukim yu – Alex Wilson
Tamuning, Guam
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Facilities are very nice. The room is comfortable with an adequate bathroom. The staff is friendly and tries hard but needs better training is this property aspires to become a true 4-star property. Most guests appear to be business travelers so the lack of internet access in the room is what cause me to downgrade from "very good" to average. The only internet access is in the Executive Lounge for extra cost. However, the access to the Executive Lounge does include a full breakfast, not just a continental breakfast, which is nice. I will stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jirohiku

It is very rewarding to hear of your great compliments of our friendlier staff and comfortable rooms.
Jirohiku our Human Resources Care Program takes each individual staff development seriously and feedback as yours will help us invest in further upskill training and what we need to do in improving guest economic rankings.

Our company is currently undertaking trial initiatives to improve our guest’s internet accessibility and costs hence we too look forward to a much improved internet services and costs. Jirohiku I wish to advise you also we have package specials that include internet, please do not hesitate to contact me in person when you next return.

Lukim yu soon – Alex Wilson
cairo
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights on a business tour. Good location in the city. Rooms very clean, great gym, professional and efficient staff at the front desk. Very safe. As a female traveller to the city never felt threatened for once. Great place however the food can be improved upon and the lack of variety in food becomes an inconvenience for longer stays

• Stayed May 2013
Alex W, General Manager at Grand Papua Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear Ricca

I am pleased to hear that you felt safe and secure during your stay at the Grand Papua hotel especially for female corporate travellers, in addition we will have a dedicated floor just for our female guests very soon.
I agree we need to continually improve our variety in menus often and introduce more specials especially for longer staying guests, our Executve Chef has commenced improving these shortcomings in these key areas of our Food and Beverage Service delivery so thank you for the feedback?

Ricca my team and I look forward to your next stay with us, I hope soon

Regards and Lukim yu. Alex Wilson
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My second visit to this hotel in a month...

Rooms are spacious and fitout is complete...huge bed enough for 3 or 4... all still quite new so all is still working fine...

Room amenities are 3 star for a 4-5 star hotel and could be better... staff are friendly and smiling but not highly trained... so keep smiling and keep telling!!!

The executive club option is just great for those who are doing business.. good meeting areas..nice view.. free wifi.. complimentary back massage in the afternoon.. complimentary breakfast... and a manager who is very attentive ..

but don't be in a rush to eat... simple orders take 45 mins- 1hr and numerous follow ups... consistently....the kitchen is obviously not well organised and this is the biggest gripe for every guest...
otherwise facilities are ok... the breakfast offering is pedestrian and for the price charged shoudl be 3x better...

it seems to me that there has been lots of effort in putting a nice hotel together.. and then it is run with poor food offerings and corner cutting... for the price that is paid for it .. it should be better....

the market will no doubt correct this soon when there are more options available...

best on offer in POM...

Room Tip: a room overlooking Ela Bay is a great way to wake up in the morning...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Alex W, General Manager at Grand Papua Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Mangkurat

It is great to hear you enjoyed our hotel facilities especially our huge bed and Executive Lounge on the 15th floor.

Our staff and management although very disappointed we fell short in key areas of our standards and we wish to advise you we have used your feedback as part of our training moving forward moreso in food and beverage with the involvement of our new Executive Chef

It sounds that you travel to PNG often in which I hope you will give us another opportunity to be of service to you