“I liked the old one better”
Review of Grand Papua Hotel

Grand Papua Hotel
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Port Moresby
Brisbane, Australia
“I liked the old one better”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I review this Hotel at a bit of a disadvantage as it replaced an Icon in Port Moresby full of history where I stayed on many occasions. There have been attempts to re capture this with many great historical photo's on the walls. The exterior does little to impress me as it surrounds are rocky and stark. On entry all of that changes and it is a very well set out interior with friendly staff and check in is seamless. As in all Port Moresby properties the cost is horrendous!
This being so I wonder why one has to pay for WIFI.
The room is pleasantly laid out with very good views. The A/C is good
I noted that the joinery is of a very cheap nature and in my room two cupboard doors were falling off the hinges.
When using the bathroom sink be careful not to turn it on too much or you will get drenched.
On attending breakfast I found that all was not in place at the given time.
The Grand Papua management needs to be vigilant or it will slip back into being just another Port Moresby Hotel instead of reaching its full potential.

Room Tip: The Higher the room, the better the view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Alex W, General Manager at Grand Papua Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Muruk

The old “Papua Hotel” is certainly an icon of PNG and we are proud to be part of it especially all our local staff. The new Grand Papua hotel features some great memoirs of Papua hotel, Port Moresby and PNG with modern facilities including the Gymnasium, Executive Board room and Executive Lounge located on the 15th floor.

I apologize for the inconveniences caused regarding internet and the breakfast buffet not being on time. Our Chef has been advised and he is committed to police this further and we are currently conducting trials for internet inclusive packages and its support services.

My team and I thank you for your feedback and will certainly address the shortcomings you highlighted. I have a great management team and in sharing your feedback with them we all agree we need to be vigilant always.

I look forward to meeting with you on your return to Port Moresby and the Grand Papua hotel soon
Lukim yu – Alex Wilson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Loved the shower and my room had all I needed for one nights stay. Mind you, I had just been on a mine site for the past 14 days!

Had dinner in the restaurant - recommend you have the buffet as great selection, as much as you want and much faster than ordering off the menu.

Would have loved free WiFi throughout the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Alex W, General Manager at Grand Papua Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Pink Skippy

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently, it was lovely to hear your compliments of our rooms and buffet in the Brasserie. I am glad to know after being at the mines you thoroughly enjoyed your stay?
My team and I look forward to your return soon.

Regards and Lukim yu – Alex Wilson
Tamuning, Guam
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Facilities are very nice. The room is comfortable with an adequate bathroom. The staff is friendly and tries hard but needs better training is this property aspires to become a true 4-star property. Most guests appear to be business travelers so the lack of internet access in the room is what cause me to downgrade from "very good" to average. The only internet access is in the Executive Lounge for extra cost. However, the access to the Executive Lounge does include a full breakfast, not just a continental breakfast, which is nice. I will stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jirohiku

It is very rewarding to hear of your great compliments of our friendlier staff and comfortable rooms.
Jirohiku our Human Resources Care Program takes each individual staff development seriously and feedback as yours will help us invest in further upskill training and what we need to do in improving guest economic rankings.

Our company is currently undertaking trial initiatives to improve our guest’s internet accessibility and costs hence we too look forward to a much improved internet services and costs. Jirohiku I wish to advise you also we have package specials that include internet, please do not hesitate to contact me in person when you next return.

Lukim yu soon – Alex Wilson
cairo
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights on a business tour. Good location in the city. Rooms very clean, great gym, professional and efficient staff at the front desk. Very safe. As a female traveller to the city never felt threatened for once. Great place however the food can be improved upon and the lack of variety in food becomes an inconvenience for longer stays

• Stayed May 2013
Alex W, General Manager at Grand Papua Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear Ricca

I am pleased to hear that you felt safe and secure during your stay at the Grand Papua hotel especially for female corporate travellers, in addition we will have a dedicated floor just for our female guests very soon.
I agree we need to continually improve our variety in menus often and introduce more specials especially for longer staying guests, our Executve Chef has commenced improving these shortcomings in these key areas of our Food and Beverage Service delivery so thank you for the feedback?

Ricca my team and I look forward to your next stay with us, I hope soon

Regards and Lukim yu. Alex Wilson
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My second visit to this hotel in a month...

Rooms are spacious and fitout is complete...huge bed enough for 3 or 4... all still quite new so all is still working fine...

Room amenities are 3 star for a 4-5 star hotel and could be better... staff are friendly and smiling but not highly trained... so keep smiling and keep telling!!!

The executive club option is just great for those who are doing business.. good meeting areas..nice view.. free wifi.. complimentary back massage in the afternoon.. complimentary breakfast... and a manager who is very attentive ..

but don't be in a rush to eat... simple orders take 45 mins- 1hr and numerous follow ups... consistently....the kitchen is obviously not well organised and this is the biggest gripe for every guest...
otherwise facilities are ok... the breakfast offering is pedestrian and for the price charged shoudl be 3x better...

it seems to me that there has been lots of effort in putting a nice hotel together.. and then it is run with poor food offerings and corner cutting... for the price that is paid for it .. it should be better....

the market will no doubt correct this soon when there are more options available...

best on offer in POM...

Room Tip: a room overlooking Ela Bay is a great way to wake up in the morning...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Alex W, General Manager at Grand Papua Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Mangkurat

It is great to hear you enjoyed our hotel facilities especially our huge bed and Executive Lounge on the 15th floor.

Our staff and management although very disappointed we fell short in key areas of our standards and we wish to advise you we have used your feedback as part of our training moving forward moreso in food and beverage with the involvement of our new Executive Chef

It sounds that you travel to PNG often in which I hope you will give us another opportunity to be of service to you

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed April 28, 2013

In summary: this is one of the top one or two places to stay in Port Moresby if you are a business traveller who cares about safety.

As people keep commenting here, the Grand Papua is not cheap - but Port Moresby is a town where people value their security and the GP does that very well. It hasn't had the kind of problems that many of the other hotels keep having. It's not cheap to have two separate rings of guards and a fortress-like building. It can't be cheap, either, to maintain large numbers of staff on site 24 by 7 who you are duty bound to ensure have safe transport to and from the hotel.

The hotel's building suffers a little from having had a change of purpose during its construction. The apartment building it was going to be didn't need an extensive lobby, or, it would seem, a realistically sized swimming pool. That said, management have done a lot with what they have. The hotel has got a great bar, a middlin' restaurant and a very nice executive lounge on the 15th floor. This lounge is the place to meet people in POM if you are there on business.

The hotel gym is also on the 15th - if you get up there early in the morning you can appear to run into the dawn above Bootless Bay.

The rooms are modern with comfortable beds, and the apartments - which are even more pricey - are very good indeed. If you need to spend a few weeks in Moresby as an expat an apartment in the GP is hard to beat. You can cook for yourself and live semi-independently in the fortress of the hotel, choosing how and when you engage with the world outside.

There aren't a lot of choices for safety-conscious business travellers in Port Moresby. The Grand is definitely high on the list as is the Airways, but they are in different locations. I suggest you figure out where in town you need to be and choose between them accordingly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Colin J
Dear C Jackson

Thank you so much for your great compliments of the Grand Papua hotel as one of the top 2 places to stay in Port Moresby depending on the different locations? Although we not in the position to make further changes to our new pool and lobby I am pleased to hear you enjoy our 1 bedroom apartment suite and Executive lounge with spectacular views.

C Jackson we recently introduced some best practices to continually improve areas that really affect our guests experience and value perception and I look forward to your return to enjoy these changes.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Some would say it is impossible to find true five star luxury anywhere in PNG , but alongside the Airways the Grand Papua makes a damn good effort at it , and has the advantage that it is right in the heart of he CBD.

The menu ,especially at lunchtime , is rather limited but the quality of the food is excellent. Service is patchy , which is where any hotel in PNG will struggle due to lack of proper training facilities in country , but you cannot fault the staff and management for effort. The commitment of management is 5 Star and with the three senior managers -the three musketeers -led by GM Alex Wilson , they are omnipresent on the floor at all times wiling to fix even your slightest problems. They are service personified and you should not hesitate to take issues to the top -they expect it !

The place could do with a good coffee shop and at least one other dining outlet . The 15th Floor Executive Lounge is really the top of the town and with its understated elegance offers panoramic views of how the city of Port Moresby is growing . It is restricted access unless you are in a top room but there are options to allow you access and it is the ideal place for a quiet meeting or somewhere to impress a client . Lounge access gives you several privileges the least of which is free Internet access - worth a lot of money in a country with some of the highest Internet rates in the world ! Worth spending an extra few dollars to enjoy one of PNG's finest hotels .

An added feature is a well-appointed gym , but this one is not tucked away in the basement, it sits on the 15th Executive Floor with some of the best views you will ever get in an inner city gymnasium-why this is not another dining venue is anyone's guess .

Very safe and secure in the heart of the city this is the place to see and be seen -do not be surprised to see senior bureaucrats or government ministers including the PM sitting quietly in the corner chilling out .

Not quite 5 Star but getting there fast !

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Sir Humphrey Blunt
Alex W, General Manager at Grand Papua Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Sir Humphrey Blunt

My team and I would like to thank you for your inspiring feedback during your recent stay at the Grand Papua Hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed the gymnasium on the 15th floor and our Executive lounge that offers complimentary canapés, happy hour drinks, free internet and spectacular views. Although we serve breakfast daily at the Executive lounge I agree that it would be a much better venue as a permanent dining venue and yes it would be nice to have a coffee shop too. I do not anticipate any further changes to our product offering at present but will certainly advise you if we do.
Thank you also for the great compliments of our safety and security in which we take seriously as it is reflected well with the frequent visits of bureaucrats, government ministers, corporate travelers and prime ministers
I have also advised our F&B department of your feedback to improve our needs in skills training and menu concepts.
My team and I look forward to your next return especially the three passionate musketeers!

You have been great to us always Sir Humphreys Blunt – Lukim yu