“OK but get in early!”
Review of Grand Papua Hotel

Grand Papua Hotel
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Port Moresby
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stayed here a few times while the opening specials were on, I believe the price is astronomical now, even by POM prices.
Anyway, I think this place is going to look pretty tired pretty quick, the fit and finish in the rooms has that not built to last feel about it. Plus somebody should have told the architect water runs down hill, it won't run uphill to the outlet in the showers.
It is however an expensive place to stay, drinks are expensive, food is expensive. There isn't anywhere to relax that isn't in a swish bar. And you feel like a rat in a cage, the exterior of the hotel is a wasteland. The pool is murky and uninviting, it looks like the architect thought, "shoot, I forgot the pool, hmm I'll squeeze it in there in that tiny corner of the property that's not taken up by the building".
The staff are pretty good though. The shuttle bus usually turned up on time. Though watch going to the airport in the morning, there is peak hour in POM now!
I switched back to the Holiday Inn despite having a few issues with them, because I got sick of feeling trapped in my room watching cable TV.

Room Tip: Either side is a good view, if you're there for a couple of days maybe the Ela Beach side becaus...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Alex W, General Manager at Grand Papua Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear Trevtassie

Thank you for taking the time to write your valuable feedback of the Grand Papua hotel during your stays in 2011 when we opened and in 2012
My team and I take valuable feedback as yours seriously. I agree we may not have got it right in some instances when we opened but we have an ongoing commitment to continually improve all aspects of the hotel operation including our preventative maintenance programs?

We have changed our menus and buffets with the arrival of a new Food and Beverage expatriate management team and Executive Chef at the start of this year. Our menu prices have been revised to suit menu concepts similarly our Gold club members receive discounts off food and beverage I wish you become a member soon, please let me know?
The Grand Papua hotel also offers seasonal discounted rates, corporate rates and exclusive rates that includes all our Executive lounge benefits plus short to long term incentive rates, I hope you may still be able to take advantage of these rates in the near future

Mr Tevtassie although your preferred hotel is with the Holiday Inn I hope you will stop by the Grand Papua hotel for a visit, please allow me to introduce myself, our new team and present you an opportunity to join our Gold Club

Look forwarding to seeing you soon

Lukim yu
Alex Wilson

There are newer reviews for Grand Papua Hotel

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Hotel was beautiful, but surrounded by gates and guards (need I say more) - expensive and town to dangerous to even walk outside gates of hotel or airport.- just say NO.

Went on dive trip - stuck in airport for 3 days - nightmare.

Again Hotel beautiful but you can not travel around too dangerous!!!!!

Bribed our way out of airport and country - literally!

Room Tip: close to ground floor - power might go out.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Alex W, General Manager at Grand Papua Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Dear Santa Bar

I write to thank you for your great compliments of the Grand Papua hotel. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy the rest of your stay especially in parts that were challenging but it is a beautiful country and I hope you will return.

Lukim yu. Alex Wilson

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I knoww that expatried-style hotel in emerging locations are usually expensive but this one is a real rip-off: ended paying over $600 for room only (no bakfast, no internet, no amenities). Quality is ok, rooms are standard, service is still fine-tunning, proce is crazy.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Mau Travel

We appreciate your positive compliments of a good quality hotel. I understand our hotel is expensive as the destination hence I apologise for not being available to offer you some of our great Packages inclusive of internet, full buffet breakfasts, our exclusive Executive Lounge benefits and Spa treatments. Your valuable feedback for service refinement will be a tool for our ongoing training in the coming weeks and I know it will add greater value. When you next return soon please don’t hesitate to contact myself direct: awilson@grandpapuahotel.com.pg as I would love to meet with you.

Lukim yu. Alex

Reviewed March 22, 2013

This is as nice a hotel as you when get in the centre of Port Moresby. It´s still new and in a fantastic location. The security is good which is a basic need in this city. I stayed in an apartment on the 5th floor. It was beautifully appointed with tasteful furnishing and a modern kitchen.
The staff are eager to please though a few thing may get lost in translation. I asked for a vacuum cleaner to use a space bag and was repeatedly told the room would be vacuumed later. After a few calls and waiting for an hour I rang the hotel manager. Within 5 minutes 3 maids turned up, each with a vacuum cleaner. Moresby is a bit like that. The penthouse gym is a great place to watch the sunrise. The Ela Beach craft market is moments away as are options for shopping and dining.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Steve T

Dear Steve T

Thank you for the great compliments following your recent stay especially our gym on the 15th floor and our 5th floor apartment suite. I agree our hotel staff' eagerness to please is not always right at times hence your feedback will help us continue to improve in these areas of inconsistent service? Steve T, my team and I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience and would love to meet with you on your next return.
Lukim yu. Alex

Reviewed February 13, 2013

The Grand Papua hotel was recommended to me by some fellow travellers and it is a great hotel, staff are very frtiendly and helpful. the food was good and I felt very secure & safe which is important. PNG is an expensive country but I have no problems paying for comfort and safety

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Alex W, General Manager at Grand Papua Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear Amber M

Thank you for the excellent reviews and taking the time to provide some great feedback on TripAdvisor. Although it is expensive in PNG I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed the food and friendly staff and more importantly you felt safe and secure.

Team Grand Papua wishes you well and look forward to welcoming you back soon. Lukim yu. Alex

Reviewed January 25, 2013

The Grand Papua Hotel staff is excellent in every way. They are friendly and helpful. The hotel is clean and safe. Security is excellent. The food is very good. Internet may be the best on the island.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Marcy M

Thank you for your positive feedback during your recent stay at the Grand Papua Hotel. I am very pleased that you found our staff friendly and helpful. Recognising our team's effort for good security, cleanliness, good food and best internet in PNG is very encouraging for all our staff.

Thank you again and team Grand Papua look forward to your next stay with us. Lukim yu. Alex

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I wouldn't pay more than about $100 USD for this room in a normal country, but PNG isn't a normal country. Port Moresby is very expensive, and although this hotel is probably the most expensive, it is a good option once you've got used to the fact that you will be shelling out regardless. The room was clean and comfortable, although simply furnished, and the food in the restaurant was pretty good - the gym and sauna on the top floor were both much appreciated (there's nothing to do in the evenings). Wifi is also expensive, but was meant to be included in my corporate rate so I got them to refund the two cards. You should check the calculations on checking out - my 3% credit card fee turned out to be over 6%.

Room Tip: The beach view is much nicer than the port view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank solarize_uk

Dear Solarize_uk

Thank you for your compliments, it is great to see you enjoyed the food, gymnasium, sauna and services. I agree that PNG is very expensive compared to other countries, thus we will continually strive to do the very best we can with consistent training and quality audits. Solarize_uk the Grand Papua hotel do offer some seasonal specials, if you may wish to take advantage of these specials you may contact myself direct +675 -3040150 or our reservations +675-3040156

My team and I look forward to your next stay with us - Lukim yu. Alex