“Busy restaurant, good service but food not quite international standard”
Review of Ela Beach Hotel

Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Port Moresby
brisbane australia
“Busy restaurant, good service but food not quite international standard”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Had a business lunch here. It was a busy restaurant with friendly prompt staff and an interesting menu but I found the food not really up to an international standard while the prices were. The food lacked finesse with everything bland or overcooked. Everything else was fine so getting the food up to standard would make this an international standard experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
CoralSeaHotels, Group Sales & Marketing Manager at Ela Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear cookieabroad,

Thank you for the feedack proviced with regard to the Beachside Brasserie. Your comments will be shared with the Restaurant Management team to assist in improving the standard of food served. It was a pleasure to read taht you found the service to be friendly and prompt.

Regards
Ela Beach Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I was happy to get a ground floor room in the new wing which was spacious and of a 4 star standard. The room was nice and clean and the bed was comfortable for a good night sleep. The air conditioning was working fine. What was lacking in the bathroom is a hairdryer and probably need to be requested for. Generally, the staff were friendly, attentive and helpful. The restaurant serves a wide selection of choices and prices are steep, which is not surprising as dining in most restaurants in Port Moresby can be on the high side. The property is grated and is safe. The hotel provides complimentary round trip airport-hotel transfers. The only complaint I had was the few mosquitoes in the bedroom and toilet that buzz around and was a nuisance.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ctsim
Dear ctsim,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at Ela Beach Hotel. It was a pleasure to read that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful. We endeavour to ensure that all of our guests are provided with friendly and professional service.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back.

Regards
Devonport, Australia
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I spent a week at the Ela Beach Hotel for business, and I must admit to approaching it with a certain degree of trepidation. Reading the reviews here gave the impression that unless you were in the 'New Wing' you can expect an experience that was far from spectacular. I was pleasantly surprised. I was accommodated in the older part of the hotel in a three room 'apartment' on the East Wing (Room 118). By 'apartment' I mean three previously separate rooms that have been joined up via doorways to give a dining room/kitchen, lounge, and bedroom. Admittedly looking at the photos of the Premier Rooms, and the associated amenities (the 'New Wing') there is a vast difference. But to consider the existing rooms of the hotel as substandard is an insult. Sure my room had a tiled floor with painted brick walls, but it was still comfortable. There were some minor issues such as a little mould in the bathroom, a couple of venetian blinds that didn't close properly, and some marks on the walls, but these were not show stoppers. Anyone who has stayed in the tropics and expects perfection is deluding themselves.

Room amenities were good. Fully functioning kitchen, with oven, sink, fridge, and microwave. Lounge room had full lounge suite, and a decent sized LCD TV with satellite TV. Bedroom was as expected, with a queen sized bed - that was very comfortable by hotel standards - and a wardrobe with ironing board, spare pillows, and a safe. Each 'room' of the apartment had their own air conditioning unit, but I found just running the one in the central lounge room was sufficient to keep the rest cool.

Staff are polite and attentive and I experienced no major problems with them. You typically have to consider the islander pace of doing things, and the fact that a number of the staff were under training, but never did I think the service was unsatisfactory. The restaurant served good quality food from a varied menu, and it is apparently a popular place judging by the amount of non hotel guests who were dining. The bar is comfortable with Fox Sports on the big screen pretty much showing any rugby game going. There is also a small shop that sells some essentials such as toiletries, drinks, and some souvenirs. In the foyer is a Westpac ATM, but it seems that the reception does not offer currency exchange or cashing of travellers cheques, a trip to a bank is required for that. There is wireless access with pretty good coverage throughout the hotel and at a reasonable speed. You can purchase access from the front desk, typically at a cost of 50 Kina per 100 Mb. Which as long as you don't go overboard with your use should last you a few days.

Now for the problems, not that there were many. I must admit to a certain degree of claustrophobia. It was sometimes difficult to sit outside and enjoy the weather due to limited outdoor seating in the central pool area an lack of balcony to the room. The fact that renovations were being undertaken also closed things in a bit. So the only other option was to either sit in the bar or sit in your room. There is a also nice looking esplanade along the beach in front of the hotel that I would have loved to go for a walk along, but common sense prevails in that it's not a good idea to go wandering around by yourself. I understand the New Wing has its own outdoor setting, pool, and gym, and the rooms have a balcony so that would help alleviate these problems. Besides that though, there was nothing else really that was worthy of complaint. I would also advise to have a reasonable supply of cash as some cashiers are quite militant in what you are allowed to charge to your room. My client had booked the room on an accommodation and meals only basis, with me covering any other incidentals - drinks, web access, etc. I sometimes found that if I went to book a meal with associated drinks to my room - intending to pay the drink costs on checkout - that the cashier would only permit the meal to be booked up and the drinks paid for on the spot. I simply found it easier to pay cash for anything that wasn't included within the terms of my accommodation.

To conclude, if you're after a typical island experience, there is nothing wrong with the Ela Beach Hotel, even if you don't go for the Premier Rooms. The place is secure and comfortable. It's not the Ritz, but neither does it pretend to be. I'll probably be returning here in August and when I do I might try a Premier Room, just for the comparison, but I won't be heartbroken if I don't get one. The older rooms are still good and by no means make for a bad experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Matt B
Dear Matt B,

Thank you for taking the time to provide constructive feedback on your stay, it is such feedback that assists us to improve our service levels. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Makati, Philippines
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I spent the last 3 weeks in Port Moresby on business and stayed at Ella Beach in the new wing. My room was nice and clean and the hotel was overall comfortable and probably very good for the area but I felt that they were just lacking in some of the basic service areas.

I went diving one Saturday and came back around 3PM to find that they had not cleaned my room yet. After cleaning my dive gear and taking a shower I went to the front desk and asked them to send someone to clean while I ate. My late lunch took about 2 hours (restaurant can be a little slow) and when I got back to my room it was in the same state as before and no one had come to clean so I gave housekeeping a call and asked them to send someone to clean. Another 2 hours passed and I gave up on getting a clean room but needed fresh towels so called housekeeping again to have them bring towels. About 30 minutes later someone shows up at my door with a small hand towel, I told him I needed the big bath towels and he said OK then left. He came back about an hour later with 2 small bath towels... at this point I just went to the linen closet with him and pointed out the towels I wanted. This is not really a big thing but it is something that could be easily avoided if the staff was a little more attentive.

The other big issue was the pool by the restaurant. It seems the filter or pump or something broke leaving the pool stagnant and growing green things as well as mosquitoes. I don't blame the hotel for broken equipment, that happens and can take time to fix. My problem is it took them a little more than a week before they decided to drain the pool and by then it was looking rather toxic.

The hotel restaurant was not bad as far as food but the prices were rather high, though I guess average for the area, and the service/ cleanliness standards were a little lower than they should have been. I will write more in a separate review (trying to get my review count up) of the restaurant later.

Room Tip: Get a room in the new wing, the old wing looks like it is in desperate need of renovations.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear erikb1978,

Thank you for your feedback, it was disappointing to read that our service levels fell short during your stay. We do focus on service standards and your feedback will assist us with our ongoing training program.

Canvey Island, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed at Ela Beach Hotel twice in one week. The first by our own choice and the second due to a cancelled flight.

The staff themselves were generally friendly. The first room overlooking the sea was fine, whilst the second room overlooking the pool (entrance overlooking the car park) was dark and in need of renovation.

When I checked my credit card bill later that month, they had charged me an additional PGK100.00 (around US$45.00) that I had not signed for or authorised.

I have tried multiple times over the last few months to get this reversed but to no avail. Many emails have been sent to the hotel and Coral Seas hotels with no reply. Eventually there was a response but no progress was made and no refund has resulted.

It is recommended that other travellers avoid where possible.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Thabo_Globetrotter

Travelers are raving about these Port Moresby hotels

Hobart, Australia
Reviewed April 5, 2013

What can I say, the room looked like a cheap room in a Red Roof Inn. Toilet leaked all night, air con struggled and whatever they greased the tiles with was lethal.
But the breakfast was good. More the pity for my poor colleague who had to leave for the airport before breakfast started....

Room Tip: Maybe those new rooms are better, god help you if you get an old one....
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
sydney
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Stayed in a 1bdrm apartment which was not in the greatest condition especially for the price I was paying. The apartment rooms conditions were below average, more so motel style. Second disappointment I had was the lack of security. For 3 nights straight, I don't know if it was locals or staff members...but they were drinking right through the night which was no issues ...but the fact that it went right thought til 4am & after several calls to the reception to have security check it out, it still didn't stop. This was disappointing especially when you are staying there for work and not being ale to get proposer rest. Impersonally did not feel safe and secure and stayed in my room at all times and only went down to restaurant during day.
When choosing a room, better to book the studio hotel rooms rather than the apartment rooms.

However, the restaurant was much better. Although they were Abit slow at times but the food was ok, especially their curry buffet nights. I quite enjoyed my breakfasts, coffees and dinner there so that was a bonus.

I must say, the front office staff were very helpful and friendly and so were the staff in the restaurant.

Room Tip: Book the hotel studio rooms, they're much more modern and cleaner. Feels Much more safer. Avoid...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business