The Shady Rest Hotel
Grand Papua Hotel(Port Moresby)
Hotels.com
Lamana Hotel(Port Moresby)
$166
Airways Hotel(Port Moresby)
$212
Crowne Plaza Port Moresby(Port Moresby)
  • Pool
$138
Laguna Hotel(Port Moresby)
$170
Ela Beach Hotel(Port Moresby)
$141
TripAdvisor
Holiday Inn Port Moresby(Port Moresby)
  • Pool
All reviewscellar restaurantaffordable hotelpizzaindian foodnight's sleepwalk aroundworld classgreat place to staycurryair conditioningportkenyanonsitesecuritycleanlinessreceptionistatm
Reviewed August 11, 2013

This month I stayed on two seperate occassions at Shady Rest Hotel in POM as part of a group tour from Australia.
The great service started when I got fast feeback via email of my booking request. My request was ignored by all other main POM hotels I contacted (other than the Lammna)
Due to price considerations of the group, we choose the Shady Rest and this proved to be a great chioce. The attention to us by all staff was excellent and efficient. Airline pickups were on time and efficient. Checkin friendly. Rooms were well priced, clean and modern. When we needed help with airline confirmation staff were happy to oblige, happy and efficient.
Our laundry was handled efficently and with great attention to detail.

We dinned at the onsite restaurant (which was a good deal even if the decor is a bit old fashioned compared to international standards, but why would you be in PNG if that mattered?) and the Micks Pizza outlet which was very convienient. The onsite ATM was a godsend.

The overall experince was of a high standard and it is clear that Management is attending to details in a very thorough mannner. Please keep up the good work.

I would recommend this hotel for value for money for any international visitor to PNG

I now have a new regular POM hotel.

Neil Hermes
Niugini Discoveries

Room Tip: Choose room on north side facing preschool to get best outlook and quietest nights sleep.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Neil H
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Well, Papua New Guinea "the Land of the Unexpected" is the most expensive place I have ever been and I have been to more than 100, and is also the one where you get the least for your money. The Shady Rest hotel is well in this category as for $170 per night, you get a very, very musty smelly room with a terrible bathroom. As we complain to the desk about the smell, they send someone with a spray bottle and then on top of the musty smell, the room smelled strawberry. You had to laugh at this. I agree with everything that Paubranco said about this place. Avoid this place.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank nomade123
SRHManagement, Owner at The Shady Rest Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Thank you for your review. We apologise for and appreciate your letting us know the deficiency in the room that you stayed in. We would be much obliged if you would kindly inform us of the date of stay and the number of the room you were given as well as who you approached at the front office.

Our policy has always been to offer a different room or even a free upgrade to our new rooms, if and when available, whenever a patron is justifiably unhappy with his/her current room. The information that you provide will help us investigate further the deficiencies of the room as well as why our Front Officer Manager did not follow our awoved policy in this particular instance. This information will definitely help us in bringing the room(s) upto spec and in proactively preventing such incidents occurring to our valued clients in the future. Thank you once again.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I was in Port Moresby last weekend and enquired for prices in lots of motels and the prices were surprising, I enquired at this motel and was told that it costed K319.00 for a premium room that i decided to purchase for 3 nights and it was really good, my wife and i really enjoyed it staying there. It was also quite and the VIP bar had some karaoke beats going on and we loved seeing that, but a slow quite local life band at the bar next time will be entertaining. I'll be traveling to Port Moresby next weekend and hope the price will remain the same.
Thanks Shady Rest for a good price in and expensive city.
Any visitors or tourist planning to travel to Port Moresby, than I recommend this place for you and your partner. Happy Holidays.

Room Tip: Just enquire for the price that suits you.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dudAustralia
illuzone, Owner at The Shady Rest Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Thank you for your review and suggestions. We are happy to have made your stay a pleasant one. We will definitely explore the possibility of hiring a local band on some nights playing some soft nice music.

The new prices are part of our 15th Anniversary Celebration special and we intend to keep them valid, and will do our best to maintain them, until at least February 2013.

We are sure you will enjoy your stay this weekend with us again and please feel free to contact the General Manager or any our Management staff for any special requests.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

The Shady Rest Hotel in Port Moresby is much like a Motel 6 hotel in the United States. It offers simple rooms with the basic equipment: double bed, a writing desk and chair, a flat screen color TV, and a bathroom with a shower. Of course, being in super pricey Port Moresby, the room rate is more than four times the price of an American Motel 6 room; I paid 398 kina or about US$ 185, not including breakfast.

My second-floor room was air-conditioned and relatively quiet. The hotel offers room service, but it was simple to go downstairs to Mr. Mike’s and order a delicious pizza, then bring it up to one’s room.

The hotel has a restaurant on the first floor, and a good bar on the second floor. The staff in both places were friendly and efficient.

The Shady Rest offers free pick up and drop off service at the Port Moresby Airport, which saves one approximately $15 each way.

To me, this hotel was a rip-off price wise, but it was also the less expensive moderately-price hotel I could find in Port Moresby. In addition, I found the property to be quite safe, which is extremely important in that crime-ridden city.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Cyclopath43
illuzone, Manager at The Shady Rest Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Thank you for your review and pointing out that we are the only moderately priced hotel in Port Moresby and we have good security, room service, a nice lounge, restaurant, great pizza and great service among other things.

Pricing and rates are a function of location, costs, supply and demand among other factors. Like mentioned before Port Moresby is an expensive place. As there are no local industries everything has to be imported from Australia or New Zealand or other countries. This includes food items as well as vehicles, furniture, building materials, linens and qualified staff! To give you a simple example, a pint of milk which one can purchase from Safeway in US for 99 cents is brought in from New Zealand and the supermarket here sells it for Kina 21.00 (US$ 9.00). Tomatoes are k29.95 (US13.00) a kilo. Similarly everything we purchase cost a lot more.

Comparing us to a Hotel Chain in US is a little unfair. US has a population of 300 million and have over 60 million tourists in addition to business visitors and everything that a hotel needs is either manufactured in US or easily available and ten times cheaper. We have a population of 6 million and lack infrastructure and have less than 10 thousand tourists and a few more business visitors.

Motel 6 used to charge $6 a night, hence the name, and now of course charge nearly $50; but they do not have any security issues or sourcing issues that would be comparable to ours. They do not have to import skilled labour or bring in any day to day necessities. I am sure if they were in PNG they would have to change their name to Hotel 400.

Some good news though. We have just reduced all our rates again and our base rates now start at K249 ($100) for an ensuite double room. Please contact Reservations for more details.

Most of our customers consider our facilities and services satisfactory and not surprising our occupancy figure for the last five years have been over 95%. Most of our clients are business clients and they appreciate the proximity to the airport and to the business areas and medical facilities and the fact we are a destination point with air con rooms, good restaurants, lounge, gaming area and a hair salon in a safe and secure facility in a "crime ridden city". This, in my opinion, in itself should be worth five stars! Thank you

Reviewed July 18, 2012

I stayed here for 22 nights and unfortunately did not get any dscount for my long stay. You will recieve coffee and sugar as ration and creamer will only be given if requested. Expect few cockroaches to hand around by your bedside. TV remote cannot be located by hotel staff and despite several reminders and trying different remot I gave up. It was unpleasant to walk to the TV every time I needed to change channel, adjust voulme and switch off. If I put the volume up using the manual key the TV will go off and you have to be quite gentle and adjust how you press. Room rate is reasonable in a city where everything is overpriced. PIZZA was good and value for money. The restaurant however charges like injured bull and not really value for mony. I ate twice and preferred to eat outside as there are some good eating places in the city where I was working. In terms of security it was ok as nothing happened during my stay. Room service is ok as cleaning ladies try their best to keep rooms clean. I havnt tried a Weigh Inn however local staff suggested its better than Shady & room rates are competitive as well.

Room Tip: Dont make a mistake of paying upfron for a long stay instead pay for few days and try out the place and look around. There are few other good place at competitive price.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Hidden T
illuzone, Manager at The Shady Rest Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2012

Thank you for your review. Our staff have been made aware of your concerns and experience.
We are not sure who you had approached at the Hotel but the Management would have definitely considered a discount and also replaced the TV in your room. Remotes in PNG do have a way of walking away and sometimes are impossible to replace.

While we do get a lot of compliments for the quality of the food and the size of the servings in our restaurant and our selections range from $7 and up, we can certainly understand and appreciate that not all people will necessarily will be happy. Some items on the menu may seem to be expensive but in a country where everything from vegetables to fruits, spices, milk and even meat are imported, we are forced to decide between offering these items at all to our patrons or put a price that may be considered a little high by some people. We do make an effort to check prices at our competition regularly and in fact keep them at least 10% to 20% less than at comparable establishments. We have, however, asked our Restaurant Manager to revise the Menu and review the prices of the offerings without compromising the quality.

Thank you once again.