“Incredible, emotional journey.”
Review of Kokoda Track

Kokoda Track
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I have just returned to Australia after completing the Kokoda Trail. My trek was arranged through Nathan at Kokoda Trekking who for transparency, I have known for some time.

Wow, what an experience. The walk in challenging however possible if you have a reasonable level of fitness. This was one of the most emotional times of my life. The fact that nothing has changed since the war and witnessing all of the challenges that the diggers faced was the best things for me.... I highly recommend it.

We passed a number of other groups along the way who had booked with other companies. From my observation, Kokoda Trekking was far superior. Their experience and commitment to ensure that the treks continue to improve has made this company top notch. Little things like our porters carrying guitars to entertain the 'sing alongs' at night, having Raymond to support your arrival in POM and running an emotion memorial service at Isurava were some of my best memories... The other trekkers from alternative companies were envious of this. They just could not do enough for us!

10  Thank NCLCruiserDec12
in 11 reviews
"personal porter"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Conventional wisdom says you have to give Kokoda a 5 star rating because it changes your life or something equally grandiose. I even read it was 'excruciating' before trying it myself. It was none of the things I read, just boring. Provided you maintain a good level of physical fitness and pay strict attention to hydration, sanitation and nutrition, it's an easy boring journey. The sites and history of Bridage Hill and Isurava are compelling but you have to wait days to get there. Good trek for 'passport stampers' who need to be able to say 'I've done Kokoda.' I don't. Overrated.

18  Thank A380FlyBoy
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I walked the Kokoda trail in August was the best time of year to do it. The trail I would rate as moderate to hard for those out there that regularly trek. Hard for those who don't trek much.
Essentials for this trek -
Anything that is light but will make sleeping on boards or the ground less stressful. Bring a sleeping bag that is down to -5 at least a couple of nights high up are really cold and bring some thermals to sleep in.
Rugby t-shirts, soccer shirts, and really any sporting shirts. The porters and the locals LOVE them.
They generally say wear the same clothing the entire trek, bring extras as there is no better feeling than a clean t-shirt on day 4.
4 pairs of socks minimum.
If you are travelling from Owers Corner you will be able to wash and dry stuff for the first few nights up until Menari then drying anything from there to Kokoda is a lot more challenging if not impossible even if you have quick dry tops and pants.

Things to know -
Make sure you get money out before you go on the trek as there is no opportunity even in Kokoda. If you have porters make sure you get out enough to tip your porter if you have one. They give you no guide on how much to tip, I hear the porters on get paid about 400kina for 8 days, I recommend around 200kina and whatever gifts you have with you and anything you don't want to carry back from the track.

There are many tour groups and they are all pretty good, I do recommend a porter or one on standby at least to carry your pack as the down hills can be hard on the knees and ankles.

Oh and toilets are obviously just holes in the ground bring plenty of toilet paper or wet wipes, especially if the food provided does not agree with you ;)

Most of all have fun......

7  Thank MeegzD
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I have trekked in many beautiful area's in the world, the Kokoda Trail is definitely one of my best memories. A trek I would suggest to anybody.

Like in many trekking area's, commercial companies organize trips. At the Kokoda Trail you may see large groups ranging from 10 to 30 (or more) western clients struggling through the jungle and across steep hills. Don't! Keep it small and basic, and hire a local guide to make sure that your money actually stays in PNG and the poor people of the area.

I trekked the trail together with Bexie Dadi (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Trekking-the-Kokoda-Trail/527239420664786) in September 2012. It was just great. Bexie is a great person, he knows everybody (locals) on the trail, he's caring, strong and experienced. As I love the outdoors, we slept under the simple roof shelters, we cooked together, we talked a lot and had a lot of fun. No pampering, no commercial stuff, no strangers who support each other and become friends forever.

Besides that, the war story behind the trail makes it even more interesting and fascinating.

In other words: a great trek, with a great local guide!

5  Thank Armand D
See more reviews
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I did the Kokoda Track for Anzac Day last year (2012). I trekked with a great friend and we chose Adventure Kokoda as we had done a lot of research and found that the pre-trek information and assistance with our physical training was second to none. Chad was our trek leader and he is an amazing man, both physically for his age and also for his character. He called it as he saw it. He had more faith in me than I did myself, but he was right. I had done the right amount of training and ended up smashing the track. Adventure Kokoda is professional in it's approach to doing the track and whilst on the track provided all the support you could ask for. The food was amazing, all the boys have been trained in hygienic food preparation and you didn't even have to do the dishes afterwards either! The camps are prebooked and the boys are already ahead of you with tents set up and fires going by the time you get there, so you only need worry about having a wash, getting changed and getting into your evening routine. They boys were amiable and we all had a great trek. We did have an experience of being set up in camp and having eaten our dinner to find another group struggling through our campsite only to find that they wouldn't make it to their own designated ground as they were so tired and spread out as a group that they crashed at our campsite and pitched their tents in the dark on the sides of hills then had to cook for themselves. Although we felt sorry for them we also felt that we had made the right decision of trekking with Adventure Kokoda as this is a scenario that would never happen with such an organised and professional team. The logistics of such a trek is such that it needs to be right every single time. You will get this with Adventure Kokoda. Charlie, Chad and all the other trek leaders make it their business to ensure that you have an awesome trek and the experience of a lifetime. I made the right choice, make sure you do too!

2  Thank unluckyduck