“The very best regional guesthouse.” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Guesthouse Amice
Ranked #2 of 35 Paramaribo B&B and Inns
Georgetown, Guyana
“The very best regional guesthouse.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2010

I have stayed at the AMICE on many occasions over the last 4 years, and each time I have noted improvements in the accomadations, and facilities offer by the managment.
I have refused to stay at more well known Hotels/Guesthouses, because of the warmth , and friendly atmosphere that is exemplified at the AMICE.
Well located,and convienent to down town, The Amice is your home away from home in Paramaribo.
I would not hesitate to recommend it for both business, and perhaps even so more for pleasure. " CARRY ON THE GOOD WORK JASODRA"

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank literis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Perpignan, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2010

Warm service, cozy environment, clean rooms in a not-too-busy part of Paramaribo. A nice little getaway. Guests are friendly, and the owners make you feel very welcoming. I enjoyed Amice a lot.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank bygf
The hague
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2010

I stayed in guesthouse Amice for several nights and really liked it. I had some comparision because I also stayed at the Eco resort in Paramaribo (nothing special where all the touroperators go).
Amice is peacefull, clean, cozy and the host and her staff always gives you the feeling you are very welcome. Also the neighbourhood of Amice is very safe. The only 'disadvantage' is that it is a bit out of the centre. But all the advantages let you forget this very easy. You can take a bus to town or take a taxi (with will cost you only 5 USD).
Really the best place to stay in Paramaribo!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ThehagueLieke
Tilburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2010

My first stay at Guesthouse Amice was in 2008...Now I have already been there for three times! I really can recommend this very beautiful, nice and cosy guesthouse. The rooms with balcony are very nice and neat! Jasodra and her employees are very friendly. I really enjoy staying here! The next time I will bring my family when the swiming pool is ready ;)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank ShirNatalie
Florissant, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2009

Because we were going to be staying in villages and the jungle in our humanitarian effort-mnistry trip to Suriname, we were expecting the meager accommodations and discomfort we found in most of our stay. The last leg of our journey was to Paramaribo where we stayed at Guesthouse Amice. To say that it was a pleasant surprise is an understatement. Ah, the air-conditioning, the food, the comfort, the lovely veranda where we ate with others, the breakfast room which was airy and inviting. Josadra and her husband were gracious hosts who made every effort to see that we had what we needed. If you want to experience Suriname but avoid the heat and discomfort, the Guesthouse-Amice is for you!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Psalmreader
Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2009

Traveling on my own, I prefer small guesthouses over impersonal hotels, and I'd rather my money go to local entrepreneurs. The owners here are incredibly gracious and go out of their way to help you out. In my case, they called around to arrange transport down to French Guiana and up to Guyana. Breakfast, as the previous poster mentioned, is very good and different every morning.

The guesthouse is not in the center of Paramaribo, but about a 45-minute walk or a short bus or taxi ride. The trade-off is you're in a very safe neighborhood. There are a few markets and restaurants nearby. You can use the guesthouse computer or a block away is an inexpensive Internet cafe with fast connections and a/c.

Later this year, the guesthouse will have expanded to ten rooms.

Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank overlander66
Appleton, WI, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2008

Along with a fellow volunteer I had the privilege of going to Suriname in September to do some work at the Suriname Red Cross (SRK). The SRK booked us into the Amice Guesthouse which conveniently is located across the street from the Red Cross offices. I feared we were booked there more for convenience than any other reason. I couldn't have been more wrong, although the convenience was great!!.

During the 12 days we stayed at the guesthouse Yasodra, our excellent host, made us feel right at home. The room I had was clean and comfortable and the individual room A/C kept it cool enough at night to get a good sleep. The A/C unit was a little noisy but tolerable. TV's are available in your room if you want one. There's also a large communal TV in the lounge area.

Breakfasts had a wonderful variety of foods, hot and cold, and more than we could eat. A regular visit from a red-handed tamarin for a banana was a treat each morning. The guesthouse currently has only 5 rooms so it was never crowded.

We were allowed to make use of the kitchen facilities on a couple of occasions to reheat some food saved from a previous night. Yasodra had great suggestions for restaurants in the neighborhood and we used the guesthouse bicycles twice to visit them. Don't miss Sarinah's. The guesthouse has a variety of drinks and snacks available for purchase at very reasonable prices. Be sure to try the local Parbo beer!

The guesthouse may be a little far from the downtown area for some people but it's only an inexpensive taxi ride (or long walk) away.

The guesthouse provides wireless internet access although I found the connectivity somewhat slower than here at home - not the fault of Amice. It served it's purpose to check email, etc.

If I have the opportunity to visit Paramaribo again I will be sure to stay at the Amice Guesthouse again.

p.s. Lazy, the guesthouse dog, lives up to her name in the Suriname heat but loves a scratch behind the ears.

• Liked — Friendliness
  • Disliked — No pool - A/C was a little noisy.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Tinbagel