“Very special place!”

Saint Peter and Paul Cathedral
Ranked #1 of 51 things to do in Paramaribo
Reviewed June 12, 2013

what a stunning piece or architecture !! Very special place in Paramaribo. This used to be a Jewish theater back in the day. I was absolutely floored by the grandiose arches, carvings, etc. Everything is made of wood - every little detail. Its a very inviting church - I am Russian Orthodox and I felt very at home there. They even have a few Russian Orthodox icons - I have yet to find out how as there aren't too many Russians in Suriname.

I haven't gone to a mass on Sundays but I do hear that its a beautiful sermon. I have been to a concert at the church though. Every third Sunday of the month, there are musical concerts held at the church. It's worth going to- just one hour, but you listen to all types of music - gospel, choir, etc. Just lovely.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

the fine work of wood in the church give me another feeling for crafts and motivates that all this was made by hand

1  Thank Dayene S
Reviewed May 8, 2013

This is a must see! The building is ancient and has history. I love the way they renovated the place. The acoustic is wonderful and you feel, you're in a totally different world.

1  Thank dirkito
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I have been in Saint Peter and Paul Cathedral 29/03/2013 during the holy mass.on Good Friday which some people also call Holy Friday . The sound was very good and there is a peace in the cathedral. It is a very beautiful wooden construction the cathedral has.When you are inside the cathedral you can feel the serenity and peace a very good place to do meditation

1  Thank Louise J
Reviewed April 11, 2013

You cannot ask but 'how did they do that'. You feel the history as you step into this Cathedral. You can say the love and passion put into not just the building of this completely wooden structure, which I estimate is about 4 or maybe five stories high at its higest point. The Cahthedral is well maintained and you can see that they have to keep at it, work was underway on the external when I visited it. I commend the country for work on keeping this world, not just national treasure in wonderful condition. When you step in and look up it is nothing but wood, the post are carved from wood also. Please go and see it.

1  Thank Maureen W