“Rude staff, average food, pricey”

Bodega & Grill de Waag
Ranked #6 of 115 Restaurants in Paramaribo
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: In Bodega & Grill de Waag are you welcome for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We have an extensive lunch menu and tapas menu. In the evening a lot of grill platters with an Caribbean touch. There is an international wine list and there are special selected wines in the wine by glass system. We're serving fair-trade coffee of the brand PURO
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Rude staff, average food, pricey”
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Such a shame, actually a beautifull restaurant, but STAY AWAY!!

I went there on valentine's day in 2011, it was just horrible we did not even stay to eat! First of all we came in and just stood there for minutes, no one came to great us at all , now when we decide to sit at a table, "suddenly" a waiter notices us and says that we cant sit there. when we explain to him what had happened and why we sat there, and he looked at us with an "whatever" attitude and replied " tonight is for people with reservations but OK you're already sitting" and he just walked away leaving us confused. after that we waited for almost a half hour for someone to come and take our order, that never happened. Finally my husband got up frustrated and asked someone to come and take our order, we sat the for 15 minutes no one came. That when we decided to leave!

We decided to give De Waag another chance in august 2011, and boy were we sorry. the service was slow, we ordered a medium-well tenderlion steak. mine was to well done and my husbands litterally had blood dripping from it, when we told the waiter about, it was as if we were from Mars, they didn;t appologize let alone offer to compensate us. We left there very very mad.

now we go to Ji-Ji's just next door at the SMS pier,The food is great, the staff is friendly and cares about ur opinon , and you have a view of the river.

Visited August 2011

Zoetermeer, The Netherlands
“nice, good food, not cheap”
Reviewed April 5, 2012

nice place, good Italian food, european prices, good atmosphere

• Visited March 2012
indianapolis, IN
“Best meal we had in Paramaribo”
Reviewed March 30, 2012

On our last night in Paramaribo we dined with a group of six. None of us were disappointed in the meal or ambiance at De Waag. Most of the tables are in an open air, but covered area that is in a magnificent setting near the riverfront. Server was knowledgable and friendly. Our group tried everything from a bit of everything including appetizers, salads, soup, steaks, and pasta dishes. The tomato soup with pesto was to die for. The steaks were surprisingly good and pastas were good as well.

The meal was perfect with the exception of our server being overwhelmed near the end. The restaurant got very busy around 9-10 pm and it was difficult to get our check as there were only two servers working the entire restaurant.

Overall, the restaurant is fantastic thanks to great food, good service, and a beautiful setting.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank INJules
cayenne
“good restaurant, bad service, nice place”
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Italian restaurant they says, I might have mistaken something because on the new menu it's more international food.
The place is good, good decoration, like the openess of the site and a plus this is quite central.
the service: wich service ? I'm still waiting an answer at my first sentence:" Good evening sirs, I would like a table for one to eat". Bad waiters, didn't wants to walk, didn't want to serve, didn't want to sell. Looks like it's here that they gather the refurbished waiters of the other restaurant. If you like service, go to mc donalds you 'll get more than at this place. The menu was without traduction. The only waitress that was eager to talk says to me that if I didn't understand the menu then I shall ask to her...and leave in the same second.
the food : nothing italian here, but good international food. I like the effort of presentation. They serve me fries and vegetable like 5 minutes before the spareribs. That make then cold when I got my wine and my pork. But good quality. I try the tiramisu, without any convictions, just to eat something italian here. Better not have tried it. Since when there is corn flakes inside the tiramisu ? wasn't good and neither was close to a tiramisu.
If you like tiramisu, don't give it a try in this place. They serve better one in the pizzahut, close to the Marriot Courtyard.
I wasn't seduce nor please by the time I've spend there. The global quality of this deserve a 60 % discount on the bill. Really I paid the same price (200 SRD) for same diner (3 meal, 3 drinks, 1 coffee) at spice quest and at garden of eden.

• Visited March 2012
Paramaribo, Suriname
“Okay place to eat”
Reviewed March 1, 2012

In one of the oldest buildings in Paramaribo which is beautifully restored. The food is international.