Crowne Plaza Asuncion Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Amalfi(Asuncion)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsneeds renovationroom was comfortable and cleannoisy air conditioningnice gymlate checkvery nice hotelspadowntowncityrespitefibritannialoungepersonnelcons
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My company chose this hotel for me and my colleagues. And I must say, it's a bit of a respite in a fairly chaotic run-down city. The lobby is very welcoming, nice, and updated, but the rooms are a bit of a disappointment.

Here's what I liked:

1. I felt safe and secure. Security had a good eye on the front door.
2. The front folks were fairly nice and helpful (especially during the day)
3. Nice breakfast with pretty much all the trimmings
4. Pretty good FREE wi-fi

Not-so-great:

1. The rooms were fairly small for this part of the world. No sitting area. Hard to relax in the room unless you lay on the bed.
2. Very outdated guest rooms. Felt right out of the 80's.
3. The overnight staff speaks VERY LIMITED English. It's difficult to resolve problems at this hour if you don't speak Spanish.

Of further concern:

A couple of us had issues in our rooms (hot water and A/C problems). The front desk took a "sweep it under the carpet" attitude. They would hear you out but do little to resolve the issue or follow-up. One of my colleagues (who does speak Spanish) FINALLY had to track down one of the higher-up managers to get any resolution on a hot water problem.

A intermittently noisy air conditioner (really bad - i am uploading video) took 2 days and finally a middle-of the-night room change to resolve. It was aggravating and should not have been so difficult to come to resolution. At one point I felt I was beating my head against a brick wall. A language barrier certainly didn't help.

Really, the folks at this hotel are nice. It just seems the overall management of this place is a but amateur and needs some refining. I would stay here again, but not doubt there are better places to stay in this city. It would try one of the higher-ranked properties first,

Room Tip: The rooms facing the front street of the hotel are larger, but perhaps a but noisier. The rooms on the back hallway by the elevator (10-15) are really tiny but without a doubt quiet. Avoid room 210 unless you are assured the noisy a/c problem is resolved
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank GEOFFS3
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Asuncion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Dear GEOFFS3,

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed December 31, 2012

The Crowne Plaza is a generally nice place in a generally run down kind of town. The hotel has had some upgrades since it was built - the bedding, carpeting and the room was obviously renovated even though structurally, the rooms/halls showed their age. The rate was really good considering the level of the hotel but probably on the higher end for Asuncion.

The hotel is within a reasonable short (~10 minute) walk to the center where the few sites that are in town are accessible and you can easily cover them in a day.

Since I had a really late flight (2am) I booked for an extra night to keep the room and decided to have dinner in the hotel (since there aren't a TON of choices out there in the evening surprisingly). It was a little spendy for the location, but still generally reasonable and the quality was pretty good. I also had breakfast in the hotel which was also pretty good.

The only real complaint I would have is with the workout equipment. It was rather dated and some of the equipment had broken (and sharp as I cut my leg on the bike) bits. They are functional but old (and funnily enough from Brazil so in Portuguese!)

If I was going back to Asuncion, I'd probably stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I'm really shocked at these reviews. When I checked in there was roaches all in the lobby and right outside the hotel. I understand its a humid climate but I would think the hotel would spray something. I never saw any bugs in my room. The room seemed clean just old and dated. My room was on a so called "quiet" floor.......with the club beats blasting next door after 1am. Wasn't so quiet to me. I could even feel the vibrations of the music in the room. I would never stay here again. They need to fix the roach problem and not call a floor a quiet zone and ask guests to keep their tv sound down and don't slam doors and have a club blasting beats in the hotel. Save your money and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Asuncion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

Dear Aloha1977,

Thank you for your stay and taking the time to give feedback. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I would like to apologize that on this day we were not able to meet your expectations especially with the noise levels and condition of the lobby. We will address these points you have raised and I appreciate you bringing these matters into our attention as this is our best means of improving guest satisfaction.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I booked this hotell in Lima Peru.
I arrived to the hotell but they told me that my booking was cancelled? They said I have done it myself? Hmmm dont think so.. But after a few minutes they got me a huge room to a riddicolous cheap prize. Think it was 30 USD a night.. Great..
The restaurant was ok.
All around the hotell it was superclean.
The only problem I got during my visit there was a wedding in the hotell..
I heard that Crowne is super isolated when it comes to sounds, but this wedding keep me awake all night, I am not kidding. I stayed in the 7th floor I think dont remember exactly.
Hopefully its not wedding every weekend..
The hotell had a great location, So I definetly recomend it.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 26, 2012

My first time at Asunción and my first time at a Crowne Plaza hotel. The hotel is impecably maintained and very quiet, even though it's located at the heart of the city center. It is conveniently located within walking distance of the historic center and all the major city landmarks. Rooms are spacious and very well decorated with a touch of sophistication and charm. The spa is awesome and the pool and fitness center both have great views over the city at the rooftop. The hotel is not cheap but it's not expensive for the peace and comfort it offers. I liked it and will recommend it to anyone visiting Asunción.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo