“Rooftop pool :)”

Ranked #30 of 57 Hotels in Asuncion
Brisbane, Australia
“Rooftop pool :)”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed a few nights at Hotel Chaco (apparently where the pope stayed in the 80s I believe) and was happy with the price. The rooms were a little dated but nothing to complain about. The staff were super helpful and after getting through some of Paraguaian Spanish was happy to actually understand what these guys were saying! Breakfast is good. Two older happy guys running around making sure your toast is done and coffee topped up dressed in formal gear - loved it. My favourite part of staying here though was the rooftop pool. Not massive, the views are awesome. Even when it was raining still went up for a swim. Loved it.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ramenmuncher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Newquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2013

After yet another long tiring drive getting to Asuncion, a late night arrival.so it was great to get into Hotel Chaco & also the only time during this travel trip, that we did not have to fill in an entry form - what a blessing !. Rapid despatch to bedroom & able to walk just around the corner of hotel to what appeared a library, that happened to serve beer as well , so sat outside at table, on side of main road, amazing thing was no people walking about ( this was 11.30 pm wednesday night -bizarre ) and so consequently a very quiet sleep in hotel - breakfast adequate for a one night stop in an adequate hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Stayed here for one night in November. Rooms are dated and furniture (and bathroom suites!) dark, but clean and comfortable. The bed was comfortable, the street outside quiet, and we had a good night's sleep.

The dining room was fine, and the breakfast buffet had a limited selection but was satisfactory. Although not advertised, the chef will make fresh omelettes on request.

The hotel staff were friendly and helpful.

The hotel is central and within walking distance of the city centre.

1 Thank M1DXB
Menton, France
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I found this hotel to be dingy, thread bare carpets, and so many things not mended or addressed when asked .....eg the hair dryer was just plain dangerous, with a live wire hanging out and the plastic sleeve hanging loose. Apparently it was not important!! The room faced a shaft of some sort so absolutely no view at all. The swimming pool on the roof could be lovely, locked from 10pm to 8am for maintenance......I don't think so, the steps and surfaces were slimy and slippery.

There was a member of the reception staff who stood head and shoulders above the rest, she is called Ofalia, her English is excellent and so helpful.
The dining room staff need a bomb under them, slow, we even had to lay our own breakfast places or miss breakfast, floors needed cleaning here, and when pointed out there had been a spill, no action taken at all.
Either this place is being run on a shoestring or the owners, and manager need to be changed, a great shame as the situation of the hotel is central and easy to walk to all the restaurants, shops and tourist office etc.

Room Tip: Don't choose 310!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Asuncion hotels

ashby de la zouch
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed at the hotel as part of a tour with Journey Latin America and were disappointed with this hotel. The rooms were small, bathroom extremely cramped and hotel generally very tired.
At best it perhaps should be 3 stars but even this is generous. Breakfast was poor and the pool is a 'token'.
we booked quality hotels with this tour and have been let down again by penny pinching tour company.

Room Tip: try another hotel in this town they are not expensive.
Rosyth, Scotland
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I was put up in the Hotel Chaco for a work trip. This was my first visit to Paraguay and I had no idea what to expect. Yes it's a wee bit dated but it is just my style. It's very clean, great staff who always had a smile for me, nothing seemed to much bother.
The food was great, well cooked and was done for me when I wanted it.
Next tome I visit Asuncion I know where I would like to stay and it is the Hotel Chaco.
It's location is almost right in the centre and only a 5 minute walk to the centre.
The aircon in the room worked great, which was a massive bonus as being a Scot who is used to the cold 44c outside was a bit warm.
I would like to thank the staff for all of their help while I was there, you all made me feel at home and almost like I was part of your family.

Room Tip: I was in a twin room (710) and it was great, really quiet, very clean, not to near the lift but clos...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed May 30, 2012

After reading travel books, I booked two triple rooms (double bed & single bed) for two separate stays at the Hotel Chaco--2 nights upon arrival in Asuncion and 1 night before our departure. My correspondence with the hotel prior to my arrival was congenial and I was able to arrange the complimentary pick-up from the airport. However, upon attempting to set up the shuttle to the airport I was told that it was not included in the room rate because we had already received a transfer during our first stay. Even though I had made two completely separate reservations, the airport transfer cost US$50.

The hotel is centrally located and the lobby is clean, though dated, much like the entire property. The rooms were musty smelling, but we opened our balcony door and because the night was cool and mosquito-free we didn't have a problem with the smell. The bathroom was clean.

Our second night, however, the room smelled of cigarette smoke and because of bugs and less of a breeze, we couldn't open the door. The smoke was coming from an adjacent room though smoking is not permitted in rooms or some area in the hotel and my call to the receptionist did not result in the problem being taken care of. The smoky smell persisted the entire night. Obviously the rooms are not well isolated or the air conditioning is not ducted properly. The air conditioning in the room on our second stay did not work at all.

I was quoted a price of US$80 for each room per night. Upon paying at the end of our first two days, my mother settled the bill with the receptionist when I was not present. They charged her US$86 per room per night instead of the agreed upon rate. I was not aware of this until after she had paid. Upon paying for our second stay of two rooms for one night, the receptionist again tried to charge us the higher price. This time I was present and indicated that we were quoted US$80, and not US$86. I was able to receive a refund for the previous over-billing but it was a time-consuming discussion for an obvious error (seemed deliberate) on their part.

The whole experience would have been much better except for the deplorable attitude and behavior of the young woman at the reception desk. The gentleman who handled the refund of the overbilling was more courteous, but the young woman should never work in customer service of any kind.

The rooms are also not as nice as those shown on the website. The hotel is certainly more dated than the photos suggest.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony as the windows in other rooms barely open and if the weather is nice y...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family