“Too old too expensive”

Ranked #20 of 57 Hotels in Asuncion
Asuncion
“Too old too expensive”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We arrived from Miami! We were tired and made the reservation on-line. We reserved a king size bed and they gave us 2 twin beds instead. We brought this to the managers attention and they told us that a king bed will be $50 more. The elevator is so small for such a big building. I took the stairs since I am extremely claustrophobic. If you need a taxi tell them to get you a regular one as they call an independent driving company that will charge you more. The breakfast is a mediocre one for the price they charge. Beautiful and elegant lobby !

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Curitiba, PR
Reviewed October 22, 2012

it is well located and the front desk and lobby have a fancy style.
rooms are big, have fridge, AC and cable but wifi sucks ... couldn't get a good signal. Furniture has and old style but is well preserved. Did not like the shower, they have hot water but the douche wasn’t good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I visited several hotels to find rooms. It was the only hotel i found available room. The room was old, and the bed sheet, floor, bathroom was dirty and rusty.

The old TV isn't clear. I have asked to service room, and I wasn't answered after an hour.

My friend and I weren't alone in the room. My friend saw an imagine in her back in the bathroom. First, she thought she was tired.

At night, I was attacked by ghost, I prayed it left. We couldn't sleep well the entire night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Kim A
Sao Paulo
Reviewed April 23, 2012

The Excelsior Inn is the 'budget' wing of the Excelsior Hotel- but it shares exactly the same facilities- swimming pool, breakfast, tennis court etc. I had a huge room (a corner suite, basically) with two queen size beds for 60 dollars a night. Bed was a bit saggy but comfy enough. Lots of cable TV channels, many in English. Location is great- a few blocks away from the Plaza de los Heroes and all the other historical sights. The decor is quite ostentatious- especially in the 'hotel' bit- lots of dark wood and leather armchairs. Breakfast was filling and the buffet had loads of variety. All in all, a comfortable stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Tombrasil
Hickory, North Carolina
Reviewed February 5, 2012

This hotel was the best part of Asuncion. It was clean and well located plus the pool area with room service was a pleasant surprise. Not impressed with the grill restaurant but the rest of it was great.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed October 16, 2011

This was my first time in Asuncion for a meeting in the same venue.
This is an old hotel that has been left in the same style since the opening ceremony, located downtown in Asuncion, Paraguay. It is dark in the entrance and some furniture frankly in bad shape in the lobby. On arrival my reservation couldn't be found, so that somebody from the organization of the meeting had to be called to rectify the situation. I got a large room, huge closet and bathroom. All a bit old fashion. Beds are way below 2011 standards, let alone the poor old TV set and the air conditioning that was in bad shape too. Elevators are small and old again. Breakfast was OK. Service was fine.
Next time in Asuncion I'll look for an alternative...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank C-GPWF
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 4, 2010

I returned to Asuncion after a long absence in April 2008 and tried the Excelsior, which had not even existed during my most recent previous visit. Although it is somewhat frayed around the edges I have nothing but praise for this splendid establishment which manages to combine all the facilities which one would expect of an international five-star hotel with the friendliness of a family-run one - on three return visits I have been asked if I would like my "usual room" and welcomed by name in both the bar and the pool-side restaurant which also has an excellent Paraguayan folk-lore show five nights a week. The other (Italian) restaurant offers excellent food including some of the best Saltimbocca which I have tasted anywhere. A major plus, in a sub-tropical country where one is normally wary of iced drjnks, is that the Excelsior makes its ice from bottled water, something which I haven't encountered even in five-star establishments elsewhere. I have been back three times since my first visit and am looking forward to my fifth.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business