“Charming place, clean, friendly staff and a good atmosphere”
Review of Black Cat Hostel

Black Cat Hostel
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 8, 2012

We (me and my boyfriend are backpacking) and many others use Asuncion as a stopover to reach other destionations in South America. The hostel was one of the better ones in terms of clean, quiet, cozy and a very helpful staff. We stayed both in a dorm and in a private and they were both were good. We were both able to get a good nights sleep in terms of comfort and silence.

The showers had both water pressure and hotwater and was clean enough. The bathrooms always had soap, toilet paper and towels and was kept clean.

The common areas had a very nice atmosphere and everyone used these as a gathering spot for relaxing or having a meal and a few drinks.

Think the breakfast was included, but we made our own since (I think, NOT sure) that it was pretty basic with bread, jam etc.

The biggest bonus was the staff. They spoke enough english so that we could understand each other and they made some excellent restaurant recomendtions. In addition they just made everthing easier by ordering taxis, calling bus stations to check the tickets for us etc.

And the price was very good as well (but I dont remenber excatly)

In summary: a good place to be in a new city. I have no reservations of recomending or going back there.

Room Tip: We stayed in a 8 bed droom, which worked out great, but the private bedroom was of course better wit...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gtrotter85

Reviewed August 1, 2011

A great hostel. We had a private room in the attic which was nice but it was above the dorm (18 beds!) so sometimes a bit noisy but no complaints. Had good aircon, clean bathroom with hot showers, nice breakfst included, tv room, small kitchen with one really effective halogen hot plate. Met loads of people and great socialising. Easy to get to by bus, great location, lovely owner. Wifi is 3G so VERY slow, and often crashed. So did the wifi at the tourist info so seems to be a general problem. We would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank geronimoturtle
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I had a private room, so I don't know what the dorm stays are like. The whole place is very clean and the location is perfect. The staff are eager to help. Free wifi and there's also a laptop in the reception area so that you can make Skype calls.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Neal R
Reviewed January 21, 2011

Only spent 1 night at Black Cat and the rooms were excellent and the staff were very helpful with planning transport into Bolivia. Great hostel.

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank richiep04
Reviewed December 8, 2010

Well how can I sum up my time in Asuncion? It has to be a series of highs and utter lows, although please read on!!

I got to Asuncion feeling a little under the weather, thinking that it was nothing more than an upset stomach or a result of the lack of sleep or endless partying that had gone before maybe

I arrived at the hostel late in the day and so was too late to head off on the hostel arranged excursion that evening to see Fat Boy Slim playing in Asuncion, so arranged to head out around the city with a local friend of mine.

On returning to the hostel I firstly encountered Lilia (who runs the hostel). She is very knowledgeable and proud of her beloved city and will do everything she can to make your stay a memorable one, whether its in helping organise all your day time sightseeing stuff or in making the most of the Asuncion nightlife.

On every night I was there they organised some form of evening entertainment for the guests somewhere in the city. The only down side was that I never got chance to experience any of it! as unknown to me I’d managed to contract food poisoning somewhere along the line previously (prior to arriving in Asuncion!).By day 2 and for the remainder of my stay I was in complete agony, culminating in a brief trip to the hospital.

However, during the entire time I was ill Lilia and her daughter (who helps out at the hostel) were always going out of their way to look after me and making sure I was ok, even buying medication out of their own pockets. I cannot speak highly enough of the two of them, as I may not have got to see anything of the city itself, but I did experience why the Paraguayan people are regarded as one of the most friendly and hospitable people’s around. I know Lilia takes a lot of pride in her hostel and always looks out for all her guests.

The hostel was full during all of my stay there and those who I spoke to said they had a great time. The hostel itself is in a good location and everything is within easy reach. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the communal area is a good place to meet up with fun loving and open-minded people, breakfast is thrown in free of charge and all for such a small amount of money! (not to mention the resident dog and cat that adds to the homely feeling)

Whilst I sadly never got the opportunity to see anything of the city itself, their kindness and generosity went a long way to making up for my disappointment of not being able to explore. I obviously got a lot of time to experience the hostel and its staff first hand and would definitely recommend it to anyone thinking of visiting Asuncion, as it will definitely add to your experience of the city

I should be returning again next year with luck.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank AndyWillmore
Reviewed April 29, 2010

One of the best hostels in South America and definitely the very best place to stay in Paraguay itself. Great location, nice breakfast, helpful friendly bi-lingual owners, air-conditioner, patio, nice clean rooms, and one great dog&cat as a bonus ;-)!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Jana03
Reviewed February 13, 2010

Me and two friends travelled to Asuncion on our way back to Buenos Aires from Iguazu falls. This was the only hostel we could find in Asuncion so we did not have much to choose from and therfore our expectations were pretty low.
Once we arrived from the bus station (Which is far out from the city center) we got a warm welcome from the owner and her daughter. I don't remember the names unfortunately.
The atmosphere in the Hostel is very nice and it is clean. It far exceeded the expectations we had. One thing that might be a bit disturbing is the AirCon which was rather noisy, but hey . . at least there was one! :)

I can absolutely recommend this hostel, it does feel more of a friendly visit to some one than hostel stay much due to the atmosphere and the size of the hostel.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends