$160
$144
$96
$76
$70
Asuncion Palace Hotel(Asuncion)(Great Value!)
$55
  • Breakfast included
$132
$127
Priceline
$90
$57
Hotel Palmas Del Sol(Asuncion)(Great Value!)
$44
$38
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of $43/night.

All reviewscity hotelclassic stylefront desk staffguaranitriangularenglishparaguaycomfort
Reviewed June 14, 2011

This was not my first time staying there. I never had a problem before but the last visit at the hotel was not ok. I booked a suite on the top floor with a view to the bay, when I got there I was given one with no view. After a long talk with the receptionist ( she was telling me they were full, they had no other rooms and that the room she gave me was the room I requested, luckily I had a copy of my reservation and after I showed it to her she found a room for me ) I was given a room with a partial view of the bay. Next time I go to Asuncion I will stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pombero23
Reviewed February 19, 2011

I arrived at the Guarani around 3 am after a delayed flight from Montevideo. I barely got a greeting from the receptionist (busy sending text messages on his phone) who checked me into a room the size of most bathrooms with a twin bed and rather uncomfortable mattress. The next day after breakfast (see below), I asked for another room and they did accommodate me, giving me a queen bed and slightly bigger living quarters. The rooms are basic - flat screen TV is only 22" and barely viewable unless you're standing 2 feet away. Rooms were clean, as were the linens. The bed in the 2nd room was actually quite comfortable and the air conditioning was amazing - a nice treat to come home to a cool room after a hot day in Asuncion.

I was sort of disappointed with the breakfast. Juices were excellent and freshly squeezed. Coffee was quite good too, but the scrambled eggs were very watery and I had to wait 15 minutes for the bacon to arrive. Service was good, though, however throughout the hotel, nobody spoke any English, which could be a problem for non-Spanish guests.

Service is professional (sometimes abrupt) but I wasn't made to feel overly welcome, like you would expect from a four-star hotel. Best things here are the powerful air conditioning, very strong wi-fi throughout the hotel and location - close to all the old government buildings, and a pretty big outdoor pool that was clean and a perfect temperature. The neighborhood looks sketchy but it's actually quite safe, even in the middle of the night.

Next time I come back, I will likely pass over this option and try the Sheraton.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 27, 2010

I am currently living in Paraguay so my opinion of this hotel may be a bit biased. To start - it is a very nice hotel, very modern and clean which is a treat compared to the rest of Asuncion, so I definitely give Guarani high points for that. We could come home, take a clean shower, and relax on the huge pool terrace (about the 5th floor). You still hear the sounds of the city but you feel excluded from it, which was a great treat for me!

The hotel is located in the heart of the downtown, across from a big plaza where there are a lot of little artisan stands selling Paraguay crafts, etc. You are also right on the main bus route, but unless you live in the city chances are you will never take the bus (too confusing, no written bus routes, etc) but cabs are readily available, though not the cheapest. You can expect to pay 90,000 Guaranies (about $19 USD for a cab from the airport - which in US terms isn't that bad, but in Paraguayan terms is robbery.)

I don't personally like the downtown area of Asuncion at all, it feels a bit too dirty and crowded and there are too many fumes from the buses, so location value is debatable, but it's hard to find a better priced hotel in the fancier area of the city, which would be more Villa Morra or Carmelitas. Plus you are central to the touristy spots and a couple of my favorite bars are only a few blocks down, (Britannia and 904 are both on the same street as Guarani about 10 blocks to the right when you exit the hotel. They are right next to the Crowne Plaza for a point of reference.)

The hotel breakfast buffet was good. Fresh fruits, juices, breads, eggs, sausage. They did not refresh as much as they should have, as some hours when you went for breakfast it seemed as though the food had run out, but overall a good selection and I left satisfied everyday. The gym is nothing special - though for Paraguay it is actually quite good. Just a few machines in a small, windowless room. The pool and pool terrace is beautiful, however - a selling point for me.

Overall, the hotel was very clean, and has all the potential of being a big world-class hotel. The staff needs to be better trained in English (I speak Spanish but my boyfriend does not and he could not communicate with them) and they need to learn more about their city in order to help tourists understand what there is to do (i.e. we tried to find a way to rent tennis courts and after blank stares and "I dont know"s for a few minutes someone finally started calling around for us to find out information. I just think that tourism in general needs to be improved, but that is a Paraguayan theme, not specific to this hotel.

There are other hotels in the city that I have heard are better quality, La Mision (which is beautiful, but costs $150 USD a night) and Villa Morra Suites. However, the cost of living compared to the cost of the hotel per night matters a lot to me when making my selection, and $150 is just not acceptable for staying in Asuncion. The Guarani at the time I stayed was $110 USD with tax a night, which is even a bit more than necessary - but acceptable for the cleanliness and niceness of the hotel. While there is some room for improvement, I would definitely recommend this hotel for a stay in Paraguay.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pamanda
Reviewed July 22, 2010

The hotel is in the center of Asunción; a busy but not a very quiet area.
Many shops and restaurants are in the area; many things to do and see.

The hotel was refurbished and its desgin looks very impressive from the outside.
The room size is OK although a bit small.
Breakfast buffet: Excellent variety and quality.
Staff: friendly and helpful.
Good internet connection (free!)

What needs to be improved - modernized:
* the bathroom look old and dark
* many areas need painting (furniture with a lot of scratches).

Main complaint is the "SPA", and the excercise room:
1 One Treadmill and 2 or 3 excercise bikes plus a power-station dont make a GYM!
2. There is no working sauna - but an old and dirty storage room
3. A horrible smell of plastic in the exercise room; no windows to open.

"You get what you pay for". Don´t expect a 5 star hotel at that price.

If you come here just to sleep and have breakfast OK.
If you come here to enjoy a spa and enjoy fitness activities - be warned.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank tom_brd
Reviewed December 12, 2009

I stayed here 2 nights after being disappointed by the Asuncion Palace. Rooms are sleek and modernist, very clean and quiet. I paid $99 per night, which is for the cheapest rooms. The location is great, across the road from the park and within a block or 2 of major restaurants and sites (Well, everything in ASU is a block or 2 away from major restaurants and sites). The staff were very friendly and helpful, and breakfast was superb. There are 3 Internet booths. The shutters across the windows are a bit strange, I must admit, restricting the views.

Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple