$160
$95
$97
$68
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of $79/night.

$96
$216
$136
Preferred Hotels
Asuncion Palace Hotel(Asuncion)(Great Value!)
$55
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Palmas Del Sol(Asuncion)(Great Value!)
$44
$39
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of $46/night.

$90
$57
All reviewscity hotelclassic stylefront desk staffguaranitriangularenglishparaguaycomfort
Reviewed February 19, 2011

I arrived at the Guarani around 3 am after a delayed flight from Montevideo. I barely got a greeting from the receptionist (busy sending text messages on his phone) who checked me into a room the size of most bathrooms with a twin bed and rather uncomfortable mattress. The next day after breakfast (see below), I asked for another room and they did accommodate me, giving me a queen bed and slightly bigger living quarters. The rooms are basic - flat screen TV is only 22" and barely viewable unless you're standing 2 feet away. Rooms were clean, as were the linens. The bed in the 2nd room was actually quite comfortable and the air conditioning was amazing - a nice treat to come home to a cool room after a hot day in Asuncion.

I was sort of disappointed with the breakfast. Juices were excellent and freshly squeezed. Coffee was quite good too, but the scrambled eggs were very watery and I had to wait 15 minutes for the bacon to arrive. Service was good, though, however throughout the hotel, nobody spoke any English, which could be a problem for non-Spanish guests.

Service is professional (sometimes abrupt) but I wasn't made to feel overly welcome, like you would expect from a four-star hotel. Best things here are the powerful air conditioning, very strong wi-fi throughout the hotel and location - close to all the old government buildings, and a pretty big outdoor pool that was clean and a perfect temperature. The neighborhood looks sketchy but it's actually quite safe, even in the middle of the night.

Next time I come back, I will likely pass over this option and try the Sheraton.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 27, 2010

I am currently living in Paraguay so my opinion of this hotel may be a bit biased. To start - it is a very nice hotel, very modern and clean which is a treat compared to the rest of Asuncion, so I definitely give Guarani high points for that. We could come home, take a clean shower, and relax on the huge pool terrace (about the 5th floor). You still hear the sounds of the city but you feel excluded from it, which was a great treat for me!

The hotel is located in the heart of the downtown, across from a big plaza where there are a lot of little artisan stands selling Paraguay crafts, etc. You are also right on the main bus route, but unless you live in the city chances are you will never take the bus (too confusing, no written bus routes, etc) but cabs are readily available, though not the cheapest. You can expect to pay 90,000 Guaranies (about $19 USD for a cab from the airport - which in US terms isn't that bad, but in Paraguayan terms is robbery.)

I don't personally like the downtown area of Asuncion at all, it feels a bit too dirty and crowded and there are too many fumes from the buses, so location value is debatable, but it's hard to find a better priced hotel in the fancier area of the city, which would be more Villa Morra or Carmelitas. Plus you are central to the touristy spots and a couple of my favorite bars are only a few blocks down, (Britannia and 904 are both on the same street as Guarani about 10 blocks to the right when you exit the hotel. They are right next to the Crowne Plaza for a point of reference.)

The hotel breakfast buffet was good. Fresh fruits, juices, breads, eggs, sausage. They did not refresh as much as they should have, as some hours when you went for breakfast it seemed as though the food had run out, but overall a good selection and I left satisfied everyday. The gym is nothing special - though for Paraguay it is actually quite good. Just a few machines in a small, windowless room. The pool and pool terrace is beautiful, however - a selling point for me.

Overall, the hotel was very clean, and has all the potential of being a big world-class hotel. The staff needs to be better trained in English (I speak Spanish but my boyfriend does not and he could not communicate with them) and they need to learn more about their city in order to help tourists understand what there is to do (i.e. we tried to find a way to rent tennis courts and after blank stares and "I dont know"s for a few minutes someone finally started calling around for us to find out information. I just think that tourism in general needs to be improved, but that is a Paraguayan theme, not specific to this hotel.

There are other hotels in the city that I have heard are better quality, La Mision (which is beautiful, but costs $150 USD a night) and Villa Morra Suites. However, the cost of living compared to the cost of the hotel per night matters a lot to me when making my selection, and $150 is just not acceptable for staying in Asuncion. The Guarani at the time I stayed was $110 USD with tax a night, which is even a bit more than necessary - but acceptable for the cleanliness and niceness of the hotel. While there is some room for improvement, I would definitely recommend this hotel for a stay in Paraguay.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pamanda
Reviewed July 22, 2010

The hotel is in the center of Asunción; a busy but not a very quiet area.
Many shops and restaurants are in the area; many things to do and see.

The hotel was refurbished and its desgin looks very impressive from the outside.
The room size is OK although a bit small.
Breakfast buffet: Excellent variety and quality.
Staff: friendly and helpful.
Good internet connection (free!)

What needs to be improved - modernized:
* the bathroom look old and dark
* many areas need painting (furniture with a lot of scratches).

Main complaint is the "SPA", and the excercise room:
1 One Treadmill and 2 or 3 excercise bikes plus a power-station dont make a GYM!
2. There is no working sauna - but an old and dirty storage room
3. A horrible smell of plastic in the exercise room; no windows to open.

"You get what you pay for". Don´t expect a 5 star hotel at that price.

If you come here just to sleep and have breakfast OK.
If you come here to enjoy a spa and enjoy fitness activities - be warned.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank tom_brd
Reviewed December 12, 2009

I stayed here 2 nights after being disappointed by the Asuncion Palace. Rooms are sleek and modernist, very clean and quiet. I paid $99 per night, which is for the cheapest rooms. The location is great, across the road from the park and within a block or 2 of major restaurants and sites (Well, everything in ASU is a block or 2 away from major restaurants and sites). The staff were very friendly and helpful, and breakfast was superb. There are 3 Internet booths. The shutters across the windows are a bit strange, I must admit, restricting the views.

Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2009

My wife and I travel regularly to Paraguay and we wanted to try the newly renovated Guarani Esplendor hotel. We stayed there for 10 days during march 2009 in a concept suite.

Booking experience and arrival:
Their homepage describes 3 types of rooms: normal/suite/presidential. We wanted a suite and mailed the reservation for an offer. At the same time we verified prices on different internet sites. Upon receiving the answer from the hotel we noticed it was 20% more expensive than the best Internet offer, so we asked the hotel to verify the types of room they had and if they could match the offer. They confirmed that they only had 3 types of rooms, and that they could in deed not match the price we got on the internet. So we ended up booking through Expedia. Upon arriving we discovered to our disappointment that the suites were divided in to 2 categories: VIP (with a Jacuzzi in a in closed terrace) and normal, the pictures on the homepage being of the VIP. We asked if we could change rooms to the VIP and the very nice bellboy called reservations. A representant from reservation came, and when we explained the problem she rudely (among other things using familiar vos en Spanish in stead of ustedes) told us that since we reserved through expedia it wasn’t her problem. We stayed very polite and told her that we asked reservation services several times about the different room types, and we didn’t request a change of room just asked if it was possible. She backed of a bit and said she would find a solution and contact us…this was the last we heard of her during our trip.

Generally concerning the hotel it gives the impression of not being a 5 star hotel. The renovation seems very superficial and the service is seriously lacking. A bit like a lot of the current house makeover shows on tv.

The good sides:
Nice suites with separate living area with a small sofa and a table with 2 chairs, all in all in an eye pleasing simple design (even though the furniture obviously is of cheap quality, a bit IKEA like).
Close to the Center (if you need to be there which we did).
Polite and nice staff (except for the reservation office chief who was exceptionally rude and incompetent) even if they need more training

The bad sides:
Renovation not complete the worst example is that they have not changed the windows, and the originals are very thin. Even from our suite in the 9th floor the noise of traffic from the street was very loud. Other parts concern old elevators cheap materials used etc.
Amenities very sparse and low quality (clearly filled up shampoo bottles from the cheapest shampoo available in the closest supermarket, it even changed colours a couple of times), and there were no guide to the services the hotel provided in the room)
Room service, restaurant rapidity and quality of the food was very disappointing, some times half of the ingredients of the menu (no menu is available in the room for room service because a waiter explained to me they didn’t have that many of them so they asked housekeeping to take them back down to the restaurant) were not on the plate when it arrived in the room. A morning they even told us they were out of butter!!!!!! One day my wife had a meeting at 8 o’clock in the morning and we wanted to have breakfast in our room at 6:30 – 07:00. Upon calling room service nobody answered, and after calling reception we were informed that it didn’t open before 7:00. But even calling after 7:00 didn’t yield any results. This is very peculiar as one of the conditions for a 5 star hotel in most countries is a 24 hour room service (even if they didn’t start breakfast service yet, guest should at least be able to contact them).
Facilities there are not many but there is a swimming pool. We went by to look at it. The area was/could be very nice, but it was empty some abandoned mattresses were laying on the floor among several bare wooden sunlounges. Not one parasol was in sight along the pool and nobody seemed to be working there (no possibilities to take a drink or anything). The pool seemed nice enough but the pump wasn’t active and there was dirt in the bottom.

Maybe the fact that we just arrived from the Saxon in Johannesburg (which I consider to be one of the best hotels worldwide service wise) has made us a bit more critical, but all in all, this place has potential, but due to poor management or lack of investments, it is very far from being a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple