“Nice place with patchy service. Ability to take reservations laughably bad.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Georgetown
Sleepin International Hotel
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Georgetown
Oslo, Norway
“Nice place with patchy service. Ability to take reservations laughably bad.”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I recently spent around 8 nights at Sleepin. Before and after visiting the interior of Guyana.

I wrote to them a couple of months before my arrival to make a reservation. I was told that I would need to call to confirm. So I made the expensive international call only to be told I needed to call closer to the time (Thanks for making that clear, not). A Georgetown based friend of mine called them a couple of weeks before I arrived and was told that all was in order. Just to be doubly sure I mailed them even closer to the time to confirm again. I wrote three emails to which I received no reply. Hardly 'international' customer service.

I wasn't greatly surprised when I arrived at the hotel and despite everything they did not have a reservation for me for all the dates which I had asked for. Though as this was low season it wasn't a problem.

I had a $55 room (plus 16% tax, I really hate that. Why not just state the real cost in the first place?) It came equipped with a/c, incredibly loud fridge and private hot water bathroom. It was pretty small, not much room to move around. There was no blanket on the bed, just two thin sheets so it was a challenge to find the right temperature for the a/c in order to not wake up freezing. Wifi worked ok most of the time.

The restaurant bar area was pleasant. Complete with swimming pool which was a godsend in the Georgetown heat. There's also a pool table which was free. The food was ok, portions quite small. Drinks were a little pricey. Mix drinks seem to invariably came with flat coke from an already opened bottle kept behind the bar.

There was also a kind of mini gym - running machine, weights, sit ups bench. Good if you start to feel guilty about all those beers you've consumed in the Caribbean heat.

I went away to the jungle for a few days. Before I left I reconfirmed my reservation (twice) for when I was due to return. My Georgetown based friend also called them whilst I was away to ensure everything was in order. Upon my return 4 nights later they did not have the room available which I had reserved. The incompetence is astounding. 'International'? 'Luckily' for me this mistake meant that they gave me a slightly more expensive room for the price of the one I had asked for.

This second room was slightly bigger than the first had a microwave, a big arm chair (which filled the room) and a balcony with a stunning close up view of the side of the building next door.

Reception staff were a sullen bunch. Not the most welcoming or customer service minded (though they warmed to me a little the longer I was there). I would sometimes stand and wait whilst they finished their conversations with their friends who were hanging out. You can change money with them. And they'll call you a taxi when required.

Staff in the bar were a little friendlier but service often left something to be desired.

On my last night (when I would have liked to get to bed early) they had a karaoke evening. This went on until midnight. It was very loud in my room on the other side of the building. If I'd had one of the rooms overlooking the pool it would have been unbearable.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel. Despite the failings of the staff it offers good value for money.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Supadappa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Laurel, Maryland
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Stayed here for the Christmas and New Years holidays so a total of two weeks. The room was clean and the staff was friendly except for one lady. Overall the food was good, the daily housekeeping service was good and even the karaoke on Thursdays was ok if you are into that kind of thing. The prices were reasonable and each room has a fridge and microwave, flat screen tv. Some rooms have cable others don't so that was disappointing. However, we had so much to do (there for a wedding, etc.) that we really didn't miss TV. If you need a cab the front desk is more than happy to call for you and they deal with a good cab service so the wait is less than 5 mins most times. Hotel is in walking distance of the market and other landmarks (not far from the mall and other markets). Just be sure to bring plenty of bug spray because the mosquitos are horrible at times. Bed was a little hard but I have a pillow top at home.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool are the best. Otherwise you have a view of a brick wall.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MyMaxfactor2
Paramaribo
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Sleepin was recommended by a friend who knows Guyana very well. The day I checked in, it was raining all day long and most part of the city was flooded. The hotel encountered some waterproblem too, but the staff made sure that you didn't get wet feet. Room was good enough to stay in. The first night I had a problem with the AC, but the staff took care of it right away. Breakfast was delicious, everyday there were different kind of meals. Short: great hotel, friendly and helpful staff, nice meals.... Great place to stay in Georgetown, Guyana.

Room Tip: Rooms on top floors: you get a nice view of the city
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Armida M
tucson
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We bailed on our other hotel, even had rooms at both since we couldn't check out. The Sleepin is great, nice rooms (we had a suite overlooking the pool), front office staff was helpful and informative, pool bar was great (bartender Sherlock was super cool) and the food was good too. A little party scene at the pool at night too and I felt safer there than anywhere else in Gtown. Met some other travelers at the bar who said it was tough to get in there so book ASAP if you're going.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank michael n
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed at Sleepin for two weeks, it was my first trip to Guyana. The staff was friendly, the male staff could be excessively friendly though.

The rooms were spacious and well kept. The food was delicious and affordable, considering that it is a hotel. If you are not accustomed to Guyanese food you may not enjoy the breakfast. The complimentary breakfast featured local cuisine and delicious most of the time.

We felt safe and we were situated in an ideal location in the city. Very close to Big Market, the Police Station and various government buildings. The internet worked well and they have free computer access.

They had music in the evening which was nice, unless it interfered with your sleep-this did effect me a few nights that I had to get an early rest. Karaoke was a highlight for the guests and staff.

Overall I would recommend this hotel on the basis of affordability, safety, cleanliness, and accessibility.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Mandalikestotravel
Trinidad
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Had a great time, stayed here before Sept 2012 but had to write a proper review. Every time I come to Guyana, it's always my preferred hotel of choice. Rooms are always clean and spacious, food is excellent, service is remarkably friendly as well. Front desk assisted with recommendations of affordable things to do during the day and even called a taxi. Maybe this hotel is the reason why I enjoy coming to Guyana all the time :D

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Star1yellow
Paramaribo, Suriname
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Cozy rooms and balcony that is clean and centrally located with great breakfast.

Free WiFi, with AC, a Refrigerator and Microwave it cant get any better for 60 usd.

Its hard to get a room at this hotel and the staff takes forever to response to one's email.

Guyana hotels sucks, and that's why Sleepin is always booked.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo