“Upscale hotel ,home away from home”
Review of The Eldorado Inn

The Eldorado Inn
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Georgetown
Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

First time visit in Georgetown Guyana , very very friendly management and staff .perfect location surrounding fruit stands and a mall .This hotel reminds e of being at home .continental breakfast included in price which was perfect .My next visit to Georgetown Guyana the Eldorado Inn will be my choice of hotel to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank dellbe

Reviewed August 22, 2013

This was my first time going back to Guyana since I left in 1975. I was pleasantly surprised by the large room and comfortable mattress (much better than my own bed). Needless to say I slept well.... The property is in a good location with easy access to the market, and transportation. the grounds allowed for a relaxed and laid back atmosphere. The owner Frank DaSilva and his wife were in attendance during my stay. They definitely take pride in ensuring that high standards are maintained. ElDorado Inn is a very good reason to go back to Guyana.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Christopher G
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The hotel was clean and very nicely decor , the rooms are big with all required amenities in a quiet street easy walking and traveling distance to markets to get local fresh fruits etc, restaurants and bars. Good continental breakfast. The management was very friendly and helpful, very much a like family run establishment. An ideal choice for a visit to Guyana!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I moved here for one night because of a mix-up with another hotel. This hotel is nice---I didn't eat downstairs, so I can't speak to the food or service. Upon, check-in---they couldn't find the AC remote and borrowed from another room.

The only downside worth mentioning---about 1-2 am---security opened my door, looking for an AC remote for another guest. This scared me to death having someone unlock and open my door in the middle of the night. Fortunately, it was security---they should have a current room list available to security so this doesn't happen. The security guy and one of the cooks apologized but it was still a bit odd to have someone gain access to your room.

Upon checkout--front desk cleark was not there yet, and one of the kitchen staff women checked me out.

I would stay here again, if needed, but the security issue would have me look for other options before booking.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Marcie C
Reviewed June 22, 2013

staff owns this hotel .they will work if guest pays their high salary .they even refuse guest breakfast. security is o.k .management need to change and train staff .i don't PAY AND BEG.breakfast is also a favour even though it is offered in package .no mesh on windows allows mosquitos to enter freely.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I spent two nights at this hotel when on a business trip to Guyana and there are basically no good points about this place. The AC didn't work, they fixed it but when it was turned off it didn't turn back on. Breakfast was mysterious - no menu, no idea what was available. The staff oscillated between hostile and friendly, which just increased the mystery. We arrived at the hotel at about 11:00 pm to find a locked gate which was promptly locked behind us after we got in. The waste paper basket had not been emptied when I got into my room and that just added to the general feeling that this was perhaps not the cleanest hotel in Georgetown.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank nrgibson
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We moved here during our stay and were delighted to get somewhere more comfortable. The rooms are well-equipped with very comfortable beds, good quality TVs, fridges, microwaves, irons and boards and powerful A/C.

There's a nice courtyard with both open and covered seating to eat breakfast or have a few drinks from the sparsely-stocked fridge. You can walk across the street to the Cara Lodge's Bottle restaurant for excellent dinners (steak with crab meat and the beef creole curry pot are both great). There's a taxi rank a few metres away, so there's never a wait to get a taxi to go somewhere.

The staff are hit-and-miss. It took 45 minutes to get our breakfasts and when I wanted to change money I was told that I couldn't do that after 6pm or at the weekend, with the implication that only an idiot wouldn't know that. There's no insulation from the street noise and the neighbours were having an argument on my last night and that kept me awake. I asked for a taxi for 5.45am on my last day and it arrived at 5.30am, which meant I hurried to pack - less sleep-deprived and I would likely have just let it go and got one from the rank next door.

We had stayed elsewhere in Georgetown and the El Dorado was much better than our previous hotel, despite being only $30/night more. The staff weren't as good, but the beds and the rooms and the location were all superior. I'd stay here again, but I'd ask for a room away from the street.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back of the hotel, away from the street noise which can continue all night.