“Pleasant rooms... pity about the day staff”
Review of The Eldorado Inn

The Eldorado Inn
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Georgetown
Reviewed April 24, 2013

This hotel met our B&B needs in terms of clean, comfortable, a/c'd, well-appointed rooms in a central location, but other aspects were disappointing: the receptionist greeted most requests with a sneer; other staff would be lounging on the settees 10 mins before breakfast should be served and when it didn't appear, would announce 'we're running late today!'; we drank the last beers and these weren't replaced in the following 8 days. The night porter was extremely helpful, however, with our several wake up calls, alerts to the taxi's arrival, carrying luggage... really nice guy! If I owned this hotel, I'd be monitoring my staff more closely.

Room Tip: 307 is affected more by street noise.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Caroline H

Reviewed April 20, 2013

We would hesitate to recommend this spot as highly as those below. Although the rooms and building are lovely and the relative value for money seems good the customer service from the staff we found to be basic to say the least. the nightguard was very helpful but the receptionist generally met us with grunts at basic requests, sarcasm when asking for simple things, (such as breakfast and bag storage) and we really got tired of it.

They have a lovely outside seating area but regularly started laughing when we asked for beers. I really don't know why they're so keen to push business across the road to Cara Suites but we had to eventually concur. If the owner of Eldorado isn't careful all business might be heading that way soon.

Room Tip: Room 307 is pretty close to the road, would advise trying to avoid
Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Jhansfor
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I had to travel to Georgetown, Guyana at short notice and I found the staff extremely helpful and friendly. I was a female travelling alone very late at night and the hotel organised a taxi to pick me up at the airport and take me to the El Dorado suite which was safe and secure with a guard to let me in. I found the suite to be very spacious, clean and fresh and plenty of hot water and the air conditioning worked a treat. The friendly staff made sure that I arrived safely and organised a cambios to exchange guyanese dollars and a taxi to take me to my relatives. As it was a very short trip from the UK, I had to look at advice from other travellers and I have to say that the staff were excellent in ensuring my safety and making my stay as pleasant as possible
Kingy

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Kingy905
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We had a nice stay in The Eldorado Inn. We arrived late at he airport and they had sent a taxi to pick us up. He was there and drove us to the hotel and the guard welcomed us, since they had closed the reception. They have not may choices for breakfast, but the breakfast was very good. We also had a nice room.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank jsaethre
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Well I am very happy to read all the review. I cant wait to go back again in our home just to spend a few days . I have lots of childhood memory in the House .
The owner did a great job making our home so beautifully and happy place that every one can enjoy . keep up the good work . See ya soon .
B. Boodhoo

Room Tip: All the room is good .
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank bibi A
Reviewed July 1, 2012

El Dorado was a good base from which to spend a few days in Georgetown. Centrally located, it is within easy walking/taxi distance of the centre of town. The building is an old colonial house which has been well restored, with the communal areas tastefully decorated and nice seating areas outside, behind the safety of iron gates. In general, it felt secure.
Our room was of a good size, although the bed/pillows could have been more comfortable. The hot water was good but the wifi barely worked in room, and only really was consistent in the reception area. Breakfast was passable; they were a bit shy with the fresh fruit. It is opposite Cara Suites which is a good option for an evening meal/drink. They will also put you in touch with tour operators if you would like to do something but do not have any information in house.
All in all a pleasant enough place to stay (more so than Georgetown itself...)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Calvadas
Reviewed June 2, 2012

This hotel was wonderful! It was my first time travelling to Guyana. I went with a friend and I had picked this hotel based on previous reviews. From my first contact with the manager (Fran) by email, to check in, to the staff that served us daily and the security, I was very happy. We stayed for 10 nights and were very comfortable. The hotel is gated and this added another level of comfort and security. The couple of times we needed something (toilet paper, help with the TV), the response was immediate. We stayed in room 308 and it was great for two people. The room had a digitial safe, amazing air conditioning that was much needed, decent sized mini-fridge, a fan, hair dryer and lots of drawer and hanging space. There is a common balcony off the hallway/landing on the third floor that provides a good vantage point for watching the locals. The pictures on the hotel website are accurate. The internet/wi-fi connection was secure and very good, and we didn't find being on the third floor a problem. We only had one or two very short periods of internet connectivity in 10 days. The cable/satellite TV made us feel like we were at home, right down to House Hunters in Toronto,and Dancing With The Stars! I will likely have to return to Guyana and would definitely stay at this hotel again. The breakfast is included in the price of the room and we made good use of the Cara Lodge right across the road for both lunch in their courtyard and dinner in their restaurant. The Amerindian office is across the road and they have a good little gift shop. The hotel is about three blocks from the Oasis Cafe and only a short walk to Austen's book store and St. George's Cathedral. As a previous reviewer said, the only slight downfall is the cost of bottled water. We bought 12-packs of bottled water at Nigel's supermarket and there was absolutely no problem bringing this into the hotel.

Room Tip: Room 308 has a king and queen bed and is perfect for anybody needing two beds in one room. Internet...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends