Regency Suites Hotel
$67
$75
    Roraima Duke Lodge(Georgetown)
    Very Good 4/5
    See what travelers are saying:
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed April 25, 2013

I read some of the negative reviews and hesitated in staying at the hotel, but a friend on mine that stayed there reccomended the hotel. I was born in Guyana and work at a to hotel, but I would not compare this hotel to international standards. But in terms of making my stay hospitable the staff did that, I felt like a home away from home for me and my family. I also met long time friends of mine staying at the same time, and they having been coming here for years. I will definitely reccomend this to my close friends and family, and will be staying here again next visit. When you are away from home, some of the things you look for are, security, convenience, efficient staff and quality. I found all of this and more at the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
    3  Thank Georgenurse
    Reviewed April 30, 2012

This hotel is totally disgracful, the pillows are stained, smelly and disgusting, the overall standard is horrible. All previous reviews had to be done by themselves. Way over price U.S 135.00 a night for horrible service and only included breakfast which you cannot receive in your room, if breakfast is served in ones room you have to pay extra it is no longer covered under the total price. The bathrooms are not properly clean. We wanted paper towel and was told that the office was close and the next day was a holiday, so we had to wait three day for one roll of paper towel. There is no kitchen as stated, we had to request a microwave be placed in the room, the bathroom only has one little roll to toilet paper, the towels are all stained and discolored. The only good thing about this hotel is location, very central. I would NOT recommend this hotel to any human, this IS JUST AN INSULT FOR ONES MONEY. There are too many hotels in Guyana to put up with this DOG treatment. JUST TERRIBLE AND WAY OVER RATED. See pictures below of dirty shower curtain and nastsy towels. Just below human standard.

Room Tip: Visitors reware Stay away, too many other choices, get service you pay for.
    • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
    12  Thank john q
    Reviewed March 7, 2012

Before booking this hotel, I read the seven other comments posted here and I took a chance and said that I was still going to stay at the Regency Suites Hotel despite some of the negative comments, as I know that sometimes, some people tend to a little too fussy.
    Anyways, let me move along to the review.

Booking this hotel was very easy and can be done via direct telephone call to the reservations desk.
    Ask about the seasonal rates and any other special rates available.

Check in easy and does not take very long. If you are paying for your room with a credit card, you will be charged 4% service charge. But, they let you know this upfront before you swipe your card. If you decide to pay by cash, there is no extra cost/service charge.

Room keys are standard turn keys and not the more modern swipe card type keys. Keep in mind guys we are still in Guyana.
    But, a key is not something I'll complain about, as I don't have swipe keys to open my doors so, this is not like a lost of luxury to me.

There is a fully functional elevator that you can use to take you to your rooms. This was good to have as an option when I was tired and couldn't climb the stairs.

The Room - Very Basic!
    - Standard size double bed (a little bit hard/lumpy)
    - Standard shower/tub combination (slightly dated)
    - Sink outside shower area (ummm)
    - A/C Unit (silent and worked well)
    - Standard toilet (a little bit shaky)
    - Standard hotel soap (no shampoo or conditioner)
    - Small table with one chair

Con's about the room (if the above weren't bad enough)

- Walls are paper thin and I wouldn't be surprised if they were actually made out of paper.
    We couldn't sleep properly at all for any of the nights that we were there. Our neighbours were very loud in everything that they did and have any regard for other guests staying at the hotel. They were excessively noisy both during the day and very late at night into the early hours of the morning.
    Us and several other guests reported this to the front desk, but it appears if they did nothing about it.

- The water from the taps are smelly and water pressure very low. This was consistently an issue. The hot water worked when it felt like working. I later gave up trying to get hot water out of the pipes.

- The bed was a bit too small, hard and lumpy. This did not agree with my back at all. I believe that bad bed could have something to do with why my back is hurting me right now.

- Probably only 2 channels were able to be picked up on my 17" tube color television. I didn't even bother to try to watch anything even when I had a couple of free minutes to chill out.

Positives about the room:

- Room wasn't too small. Fairly average size and didn't feel cramped for space.
    - Maids cleaned the room everyday and always changed the towels/sheets. This was excellent and where this hotel scored some points with us. We always had a clean room!
    Did not matter that it was not the most fancy/impressive room, but it was always clean!
    - You are allowed guests to the room to visit! Front desk always called first to request authorization before sending anyone up. This was excellent that this always did this, as sometimes we didn't want to be bothered by people who wanted to visit us while we were in Guyana.
    - Sufficient lighting!
    - Tiled floors.
    - Ironing board with steam iron (that worked)
    - Safety box (not sure if it worked.. wouldn't chance leaving valuables in a Guyana safe)
    - Complimentary bottled water!
    - Free Wifi on all levels of the hotel!

Other good things about the hotel:
    - Pool (small yet, very clean and located at the back of the second floor)
    - Restaurant on site (food is tasty and very affordable)
    - Complimentary breakfast (limit - 1 breakfast per room, additional guest pays for their own breakfast) Full buffet breakfast costs around $1400 Guyana dollars or $7USD, which is very reasonable.
    - The hotel offers currency exchange at the front desk.
    - The hotel can organize airport transfers upon request (a taxi from the hotel to airports costs $25USD one way) You pay the driver directly and not the hotel.
    - The hotel is very close to the main city centre and is within walking distance to all the capitals activities. However, you can pay $300-$500 Guyana dollars and taxi drivers will drop you off at any location in the city where you would like to go.. This is if you don't prefer to walk.. as it can be very hot in Guyana and you will get tired from walking in the sun/heat.

Generally, Guyana is a lovely country but like any foreign country you visit you have to be careful. Don't walk around the streets of Georgetown, Guyana with your expensive jewelry on. Don't display large sums of cash etc. Don't appear too touristy and attract unecessary attention. Remember, Guyana is not Hollywood.

Anyways, the Regency Suites Hotel was pleasant enough and served it's purpose. This hotel has great potential and the young managers who we saw everyday walking around need to stop and greet their guests and have a little bit communication with them and find out how their guests are doing. Maybe have a weekly Managers Rum Punch or something.. Yeah?

Will definitely stay at the Regency Suites Hotel again if I ever visit Guyana.
    Despite the minor negatives, this hotel deserves a chance and if the managers read my review and take what I said into consideration the hotel can progress into something much more excellent!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
    15  Thank SpiceBoyVR
    Reviewed June 4, 2011

I stayed there for one night,service was excellent,the rooms were clean,swimming pool was on the 2nd floor,great location,and the price was right....thank you,my other trrip coming soon, i will re-book...

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
    10  Thank gina6643
    Reviewed September 26, 2010

i would recommend this hotel over many others,the room was spacious and the veiw from the veranda was excellent.the staff are very professional especially the front desk they gave me 5 star service everytime i was there,i will continue to stay here every trip i take and i will recommend this hotel always

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple