“The very best introduction to Guyana we could have wished for as independent travellers”

Herdmanston Lodge -- Guyana Hotels
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Georgetown
Worcestershire
Reviewed June 2, 2009

Found easily on the internet and looked just the place for us to stay on our first visit. Booking was straightforward & every exchange of e-mail was dealt with efficiently. My wife wanted to find out about ancestors who had worked & lived in Georgetown in the 19th century so the Lodge was perfectly positioned. We walked into the centre twice & enjoyed looking at the houses, shops & the Bourda Market and the Cathedral - people stopped us to find out what we were doing and were very keen to talk to us when they found we were tourists not missionaries!. We also walked to the Botanic Gardens & the Zoo.

However the real treat was the way we were looked after by the staff at all times. Clean rooms, regularly changed bed linen, terrific breakfasts (choice of Continental, full British or Creole - this latter was most enjoyable, plantains & fish for breakfast I would never have tried but once tasted - fantastic ), the fresh fruit, fresh fruit juices; what a great way to start our day. The staff would organise a light snack lunch or prepare an evening meal by request & were keen for you to do so. Or they could order in for you evening meals from local restaurants. All meals could be taken in the balcony room overlooking the street. So nice to be able to eat with two sides of the room open to the outside. The birdlife in the trees & shrubs was a real distraction; so colourful & for us, from the UK, very exotic.

Air Conditioned bedrooms of a good size with a decent bathroom & walk in shower with hot water whenever required. Wireles broadband & a room safe.

The Lodge Hostesses booked us taxis to take us to restaurants at night for dinner - wanting us to try a different one each night in addition to eating 'in' with an excellent meal prepared & served at the Lodge. We liked the Dutch Bottle, El Dorado at the Pegasus where around the pool afterwards there was a live local band playing. Windies Bar was good but just changing hands. The New Thriving Chinese Restaurant was just that.

Day taxi's were organised for some other trips & Shawn & Ricky, the drivers, were knowlegable guides & escorts. To assist my wife in her research Edna & Dee could not have been more helpful; Dee ensuring she took her to see the old railway station where a relative had worked & Edna gave up a whole day to help us try & find old records.

Also arranged were day trips, and it was only after I left did I realise how much effort Pheona had put in on the phone to secure us the best possible prices and to ensure they fitted in to our schedule. Kaiteur Falls is a must visit - just the best waterfall the world can offer; any other is dwarfed by it's single fall drop. Visit Santa Mission at the weekend and in a group as more happens.

We left feeling we had been with friends; it was the very best accommodation, with the very best staff we as independent travellers could have wished for. We were welcomed warmly, incredibly well looked after by everyone - the quality of service on offer puts many five star establishments to shame - and just cannot recommend Herdmanston Lodge highly enough.

So thank you everyone, you were so good to us.
Robin & Jane

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank latetraveller100

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
New Jersey
Reviewed May 30, 2009

I stayed here for nearly 3 weeks in May, after reading the excellent reviews here. I was not disappointed. Herdmanston is a large and airy house that has been converted into a comfortable and spacious guestlodge. There are some rooms on the first floor and some on the second, and a great terrace with tables where you can sit and have meals or work or relax at the end of the day.

Location: Located in Queenstown, it's pretty easy to get anywhere you need to be. It's not the center of town, but we quickly realized we only needed 5 or 10 minutes to get to pretty much anywhere. It's a short walk to the Sea Wall and from there you can walk down to Pegasus and get a drink. Very nice thing to do in the evenings.

Rooms: Very spacious and comfortable, cleaned and beautifully maintained every day. Air conditioned, good US cable service (including premium channels), desk, iron and ironing board, safe for keeping personal items. Free wireless!

Food: A wide selection of breakfast items, prepared at the lodge at a time of your choosing. Delicious fruit and fruit juices. Ask for Lynda's bakes and salt fish! At other times of the day, they can make you sandwiches (ask for one of Onica's world famous club sandwiches), or they will order in from a couple of recommended restaurants. The food from the other restaurants can take a while, so order well in advance.

Transportation: The Lodge has some reliable drivers and a service that they use, and they're happy to arrange transportation for you and airport pick-ups and drop-offs. We used one of their drivers, Sean, frequently and his local knowledge was invaluable.

Security: The Lodge feels very secure, and they have a guard on duty 24 hours. Guards Cecil and Mr Cambridge were very attentive and always around. There is always a lady at the front desk until 11pm, after which time the front door is locked.

Service: The service is where Herdmanston really excels, and what sets it apart from the major hotel in Georgetown. The ladies at the front desk really contributed to our stay and made Herdmanston feel a very homely place. They were always upbeat and fun and often we would stop for a chat after a long day of work. Louanna patiently dealt with our extreme indecisiveness over food options; Onica would stop what she was doing to craft one of her sandwiches, even to the point of getting a particular type of cheese delivered late at night; Pheona assisted in organizing trips for us, and (although we didn't realize this at the time) spent a long time and numerous phonecalls in negotiations with tour operators trying to arrange things to fit our schedule; and the very gracious Dee would check in reguarly to make sure everything was ok.

I would definitely recommend staying here, I had a very positive time and having a comfortable place to return to at the end of the day made the work portion of the trip more manageable.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank Mazibuko
newyork
Reviewed March 20, 2009

A lovely small hotel in a quiet neighborhood (Queenstown area), charming house, capacious rooms, delightful veranda, and there is absolutely nothing Dee, Phaeona and team will not do to make your stay comfortable and hassle-free. Even thoug there is not a restaurant, they will order in for you from a restaurant of your choice and serve the meal for you on the veranda. Highly recommended!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bornin42
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 8, 2009

My January 2009 stay at the Herdmanston Lodge was the sixth in three years. The staff are friendly and the space is charming. I plan to stay there for all of my visits in the future.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
near London
Reviewed November 16, 2008

Really pleasant location, comfortable rooms and an ultra-friendly informal atmosphere. Staff pride themselves in offering warm, genuine personal service and attention. The kind you would hope for but rarely ever receive at most 5 star hotels.

There was only one issue I'd like to see improved. The wall separating my room to the one next door was extremely thin - too thin in my opinion.

Would I stay again? Yes without a shadow of doubt. Above point aside it was outstanding experience.

• Liked — Superb staff - you cannot buy genuine warmth & service
  • Disliked — The thin wall from my room to the next
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Mister4
New York
Reviewed October 14, 2008

This is the first time I post a review on Tripadvisor even though I regularly read other travelers' reviews for my own bookings. I am doing it now because I was simply amazed by the hospitality of this hotel and I want other people to share my great experience. The lodge is located in a very nice, residential neighborhood of Georgetown. The staff is exceptionally cordial, accomodating, and hospitable. I travel a lot and stay in nice hotels but this is the first time in 10 years that my bags were neatly packed on the last day of my stay. The breakfast is excellent, served on a beautiful veranda, at any time you want. I ordered take-out twice and the dinner was nicely arranged by the staff and set up on the veranda. Beats any restaurant experience in Guyana. This is truly a place to relax after active day of excursions, have a nice conversation with other guests or just read a book on the veranda, overlooking a beautiful garden. I highly recommend it!!
P.S. Due to flight cancellation, I spent the last night in Pegasus (ranked #1), no comparison! Just a regular standard hotel....

• Liked — Service, Location
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 4, 2008

This is a wonderful place to stay in Georgetown, Ghana. The staff are very helpful. Breakfasts are great. I tried a much more expensive hotel closer to the city centre, however, it was very noisy and did not include breakfast, which I thought was rather cheap considering the price they were charging. The Herdmanston Lodge was a great change. The hotel is older, however, very clean.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — rooms a bit warn
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Georgetown
Guyana Marriott Hotel Georgetown
#4 of 20 in Georgetown
Baganara Island Resort
Baganara Island Resort
#1 of 2 in Bartica

Been to Herdmanston Lodge -- Guyana Hotels? Share your experiences!