Found easily on the internet and looked just the place for us to stay on our first visit. Booking was straightforward & every exchange of e-mail was dealt with efficiently. My wife wanted to find out about ancestors who had worked & lived in Georgetown in the 19th century so the Lodge was perfectly positioned. We walked into the centre twice & enjoyed looking at the houses, shops & the Bourda Market and the Cathedral - people stopped us to find out what we were doing and were very keen to talk to us when they found we were tourists not missionaries!. We also walked to the Botanic Gardens & the Zoo.
However the real treat was the way we were looked after by the staff at all times. Clean rooms, regularly changed bed linen, terrific breakfasts (choice of Continental, full British or Creole - this latter was most enjoyable, plantains & fish for breakfast I would never have tried but once tasted - fantastic ), the fresh fruit, fresh fruit juices; what a great way to start our day. The staff would organise a light snack lunch or prepare an evening meal by request & were keen for you to do so. Or they could order in for you evening meals from local restaurants. All meals could be taken in the balcony room overlooking the street. So nice to be able to eat with two sides of the room open to the outside. The birdlife in the trees & shrubs was a real distraction; so colourful & for us, from the UK, very exotic.
Air Conditioned bedrooms of a good size with a decent bathroom & walk in shower with hot water whenever required. Wireles broadband & a room safe.
The Lodge Hostesses booked us taxis to take us to restaurants at night for dinner - wanting us to try a different one each night in addition to eating 'in' with an excellent meal prepared & served at the Lodge. We liked the Dutch Bottle, El Dorado at the Pegasus where around the pool afterwards there was a live local band playing. Windies Bar was good but just changing hands. The New Thriving Chinese Restaurant was just that.
Day taxi's were organised for some other trips & Shawn & Ricky, the drivers, were knowlegable guides & escorts. To assist my wife in her research Edna & Dee could not have been more helpful; Dee ensuring she took her to see the old railway station where a relative had worked & Edna gave up a whole day to help us try & find old records.
Also arranged were day trips, and it was only after I left did I realise how much effort Pheona had put in on the phone to secure us the best possible prices and to ensure they fitted in to our schedule. Kaiteur Falls is a must visit - just the best waterfall the world can offer; any other is dwarfed by it's single fall drop. Visit Santa Mission at the weekend and in a group as more happens.
We left feeling we had been with friends; it was the very best accommodation, with the very best staff we as independent travellers could have wished for. We were welcomed warmly, incredibly well looked after by everyone - the quality of service on offer puts many five star establishments to shame - and just cannot recommend Herdmanston Lodge highly enough.
So thank you everyone, you were so good to us.
Robin & Jane
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An intimate heritage hotel in Guyana, Herdmanston prides itself in excellent guest service. One of only a few Guyana hotels that has maintained Guyana's distinctive colonial architecture. Herdmanston hotel is perched within extensive lawns and garden which is home to some of the gentle flora and fauna of central Georgetown. While our lawns and gardens are spacious, our small hotel size allows us to offer to our guests personalized service catering for your every need. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Herdmanston Lodge -- Guyana Hotels reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Herdmanston Hotel Georgetown
- Herdmanston Lodge -- Guyana Hotels Georgetown