“Improvements Needed”

Tropical View International Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Georgetown
Tropical View International Hotel
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Georgetown
Trinidad
“Improvements Needed”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on the recommendation of another colleague. This was a business visit and thank God I was not in the hotel for any length of time. The rooms were clean but not cleaned daily and towels were not changed unless requested. The washrooms need a SERIOUS upgrade. Broken toilet seats and dripping faucets need repair. The disgusting sewer odour from the facebasin should be addressed. Breakfast was standard and without variety even upon request. I would probably stay here again, ONLY because of its proximity to Georgetown and fast food.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Street Side are very noisy but have a porch.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Michele S

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
City of Kawartha Lakes
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My first trip to Guyana included many new experiences. Some very good, some not so much.
I am please to say my stay at the Tropical View Hotel was an excellent experience. My room on the second floor at the back the hotel (No Balcony) was clean, quiet and the air-conditioner worked flawlessly. The staff made me feel welcome and comfortable at all times of the day or night. The hotel is located a block and a half from Sheriff St. in an area abundant with restaurants and clubs.

In summary: Plus and Deltas
Plus - The Cost. Tropical View is less expensive than most of the other hotels in the area.
Plus - The Friendly, helpful staff. All staff went out of their way to make my stay more comfortable
Plus - The Location. Less than 2 blocks (2 minute walk) from all the action
Plus - Internet speed. In my room download/upload speed was more than adequate for me to conduct my business.
Plus - Security. A night guard was posted at the entrance gate to the hotel (Which is closed at night)
Delta - Limited variety for breakfast
Delta - The water pressure from the shower was a little softer than normally prefer.
Delta - Tropical View does not have a swimming pool.
Delta - Small TV in the room perched on top of the dresser/wardrobe made me a little nerves.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone not expecting a Crown Plaza or Embassy Suites, but looking for safe, cost effective accommodations, convenient location and a friendly, helpful staff.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of hotel have no balconies but they are much quieter than the front due to traffic...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Ragnar S
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Hotels in Georgetown are expensive. For the price of this hotel, I found all things to be considered acceptable such as cleanliness, room space, internet, noise outside (considering it is located on a busy street) security and price. I stayed there for 6 nights had 3 rooms to accommodate everyone in my travel party. I am a very frequent traveler staying in hotels in many countries.

This place is not the Pegasus ( I have stayed there). Do not come to Tropical View expecting Pegasus level environment and ambiance. If you wants this, then spend the money and book your stay at the Pegasus.

Different travelers will have different improvement ideas for Tropical View. Mine is "more breakfast selection". When people travel, food in the morning before restaurant options are available is very important to health conscious frequent travelers. I found the breakfast SINGLE option poorly lacking.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank uitvlugtwbd
Princess Town, Victoria, Trinidad and Tobago
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I traveled many times to Guyana and i must say this it the best cost effective Hotel i ever stayed in while in Guyana. The staff was very helpful, caring and did their best to make our stay as comfortable as possible. The breakfast was just amazing, the place was very clean at all times and the honesty of all member of staff must be recognized.. TO ALL OF YOU AT THE HOTEL THANKS FOR BEING SO GREAT TO US!!! I do intend to stay there again very soon!!

Rev. Rambharose
Stayed 16th - 24th March 2013

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Terrance S
Trinidad
Reviewed March 21, 2013

For the right combination of affordability, location, and decent accommodation, it is hard to beat this hotel. The staff was very pleasant throughout my 5 day stay during the annual Mash celebration. While the room was basic, it met my expectations as I wanted a safe, comfortable and clean environment to spend my weekend.

The manager even let me sit down in the restaurant with my 4 friends for drinks (which we brought with us) when the restaurant was closed. This level of hospitality was impressive. There is someone at the front desk at all times monitoring who came into and out of the hotel, so this added to my feeling of security while I was there.

The ability to exchange foreign currency for local dollars at the front desk of the hotel was very helpful as many ATMs in Guyana do not recognize foreign debit cards - because as was explained to me by my Visa card representative, there is a high incidence of fraud. ScotiaBank is the only bank where my ATM cards worked but it is about a 20 minute drive from the hotel.

The hotel is well situated and within walking distance of at least a couple bars and 2 supermarkets. I would highly recommend this place, and please say hello to Chandra the next time you are there!

Room Tip: Definitely get a room with an air condition unit. You may not need one with a balcony or a fridge a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank MooseNYC
Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

If you're looking to stay a few days in Georgetown and don't want to spend too much, this is the ideal place. I was not put off by the previous two comments as accommodation in Georgetown, for some reason, is expensive. The hotel is clean and located near Sheriff Street, which is a bus street and has easy access to grocery stores and some restaurants.
The staff are friendly and will help out with any query you have. Whilst the dining room could do with a little more atmosphere, the hotel offers a cheap breakfast and they'll also prepare other meals on request.
You could spend a lot more money for the same level of hotel service, so consider the Tropical View if you need to stay in Georgetown for a few days.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank eels007
Mississauga
Reviewed July 18, 2012

The management and staff of this hotel needs to take classes/courses on how to treat their guests properly and how to run an international hotel. They charged USD$100 per night for a room with 2 Queen/Double beds and include complimentary breakfast. They advertised that all rooms come with telephone, internet service, iron and mini refrigerator but this is not true as my room did not have any of these amenities. The front desk staff was rude when we complained of cold breakfast which was the same choices every day. They only offered coffee/tea so there was no juice/water for the kids. My daughter found a large roach in the shower the first time she went to in to use it and the shower was clogging up everytime it was used. When we asked for another room we were told there was none available although one of the cleaners said they were several rooms emtpy. Visitors were not allowed in the guests rooms. We ended up going to another hotel.

My suggestion to the management of Tropical View Int'l is to spend one night at the Sleep In Int'l Hotel on Brickdam and experience the way guests should be treated always. For the price of USD $70 ($30 less then Tropical View) we were given a very spacious room with 2 Queen Beds, Dining Table/Chairs, Plates/Cups/Glasses/Cutlery, Desk, Iron/Board, Mini Fridge, Microwave,Flat Screen TV, Computer with Internet Service. The large pool and poolside patio were available to all guests and visitors of the guests. My family/friends were able to visit privately with me in my room. The complementary breakfast was awesome. They offered a different choice of real enthnic guyanese dishes and if you don't want that there are unlimited choices of eggs, toasts, jam, peanut butter, fruits and real fruit juices. The staff at Sleep In was very courteous, helpful and friendly. Truth be told we didn't want to leave this fantastic hotel. As I mentioned above Tropical View management needs to experience the service at Sleep In and hopefully make some favourable changes to the way they run Tropical View Hotel. For the price Tropical charge they should be offering alot more or lower the price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank DeenMississauga

Travelers are raving about these Georgetown hotels